“Drive on by ...”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 7, 2010

Stopped by around noon on a Saturday afternoon, not very busy, but waited at the host desk for a table for over 5 minutes while staff members walked by us several times. Once seated, the waitress was more attentive, but we waited again over 10 minutes between the appetizers being cleared and our lunches coming to the table. The food was not worth the wait. There is a nice view from the dining room of a salt marsh, but there are better choices in the area for lunch or dinner.

3  Thank dj77ct

Reviewed January 3, 2010

I was invited to the hideaway for a surprise 40th birthday party for a close friend of mine. The invitation stated that the organizer "made sure to have dishes that all you healthy vegetarians can enjoy" . I'm unaware of the arrangements that were made, but salad and mashed potatoes are not sufficient in my view. I was astonished that when we arrived the "host" didn't recognize the name of the party which had reserved an entire room of the restaurant for a party of 40+ people. The appetizers were unappealing, and unannounced. The buffet style dinner consisted of chicken, pasta with sausage (which after picking out the sausage tasted like spaghetti-o's), pork (my friends said this was good), stuffed fish, mashed sweet potatoes with enough sugar added to make them repulsive, mashed white potatoes, and second rate caesar salad. A second waitress/waiter might have been nice for that many people as well.

3  Thank timewethink
Reviewed September 19, 2008

I used to be a regular there and would always get the specials until they replaced Chef Eric. I tried the food and it was very different more diner style where before it was food in comparison to Old lyme Inn with a better price..Now I wont be back the new Chef is also the owner and tried to sell me a top sirloin for a filet mignon and didnt think I knew the difference and on top of that it was cold and way undercooked..I was disappointed by this and told the server and she said it happens alot since they changed chefs and were having staffing problems in the kitchen..and that "he " meaning the owner chef was probably cutting corners...I sent it back and he came out of the kitchen a short portly fellow angry and slurred I didnt know what i was talking about and called be an old prick...I was so furiated by his rudeness that I promptly left his horrible establishment...

4  Thank DHuckleby
Reviewed August 24, 2008

I've been to the Hideaway too many times to count. The first time was about 12 years ago for a pre-prom dinner. I also had my wedding reception there six years ago. I love the view, the staff, and especially the food. It's a nice place, tucked away, and it's a quiet place. I would have never thought such a great restaurant could be found in a shopping plaza. I would recommend The Hideaway to anyone visiting or living in the area.

Reviewed July 2, 2008

The Hideaway was recommended for our party of 6 for a regular Friday night get-together. I had visited about 15 years ago and loved the scene out over the salt marsh. Unfortunately one of our party was unable to climb the stairs to the upper level and all the window tables were taken so we were placed in a small room with about 10 other tables.
Our server came immediately to take drink orders and returned promptly to take dinner orders. 6 people ordered 6 different items, some with slight changes (no peppers) and not one complaint was heard. Our server returned frequently and had to be reminded about coffee and tea requests.
The pub area was Friday night party time, and noisy. It did not carry on to the other rooms.
Excellent food, above average service, ok ambiance (recommend reservations for a window table... a peaceful view of the marsh), and average price ensures that I won't wait so long to return, even though it is a long drive.