“A romantic weekend at the Bee and Thistle Inn and Spa”

Bee and Thistle Inn and Lounge
Ranked #2 of 4 Old Lyme B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 4, 2010

My wife and I spent the Memorial Day weekend at the Bee and Thistle Inn to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The inn surpassed our expectations in very way possible whether it is the room, staff, restaurant, garden and service. The inn is well run, charming, and clean. Staff is professional and responsive but not intrusive.

We were made to feel most welcome and given a tour of the premises and a run down how everything worked. Our bedroom (#2) while small was great and had a fireplace. Each room at the inn has a different character.

The restaurant staff is excellent and the food and wine was delicious. After eating my wife and I would go for a walk in their sculpture garden. I think its worth mentioning that the strawberry mojitos are made with freshly picked strawberries from their very own garden. Unfortunately, the full bar is only open during dinner time. My wife and I would have liked a cocktail before our spa treatment. The Massage therapists are incredible! We had one of the best couples massages.

The inn is conveniently located next to the beautiful Florence Griswold Museum, historic towns, minutes from the coast, and other sightseeing places.

To the owners, staff, and massage therapists of the Bee and Thistle Inn - Thank you so much for such an enjoyable time, we wish we could have spent a longer time with you.

We will be back!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Bee and Thistle Inn and Lounge

Reviewed January 25, 2010

A beautifully appointed B & B. Wine and chocolates in our room upon arrival. A delicious dinner by the fire with wonderful wait staff worthy of a Michelin rating. Several fireplaces on the premises make for a warm winter night sharing wine by the fire. A magnificent couples massage by Luke & Kara. A gourmet breakfast in bed including fresh scrumptious scones. The Bee & Thistle is located in Old Lyme, Connecticut right off 95 and is easy access from NY. It's next door neighbor, Florence Griswold museum, is worth a short walk and rewarding visit. We look forward to returning to the Bee & Thistle in late spring or early summer to visit the Lieutenant River by kayak.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2009

We spent our 45th anniversary at the Bee and Thistle and it was absolutely wonderful! The room was beautifully decorated and very comfortable, dinner and breakfast were delicious, and and the owner and staff were warm and welcoming. The decor of the inn creates an elegant, homey and romantic atmosphere where one feels like curling up in front of the fire in the main living room with one of the inn's good books. We chose to read the NY Times in front of that crackling fire after breafast on Sunday morning - delightful! An added bonus is its location next to the Florence Griswold Museum which houses an outstanding collection of impressionist art from the Old Lyme school. It was a most enjoyable experience visiting the museum then walking next door to have dinner and spend the night at the Bee and Thistle. We would highly recommend this charming inn.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2009

I ate at the bee and thistle inn with my family, a total of 6 people. While my gravlax appetizer was very good, the rest of the meal didn't quite live up to my expectations. My caesar salad was nothing special, and the croutons were so hard I couldn't eat them. My main course of duck was good, but nothing great. It was slightly lacking in flavor and just didn't wow me. After we all had finished our entrees, we had to wait about 45 minutes-1 hour for dessert. Four of us had ordered the blueberry crisp, which was the special dessert for the night and had to be ordered with the appetizers. While my chocolate tort was good, it wasn't worth the wait. However, the owner did come over to us and apologize, giving us our desserts for free. Overall dinner was good, but there are other places with better service and better food for the same price.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2009

I could hot have asked for a better weekend getaway for my wife and I to celebrate our 14th wedding anniversary! The staff was cordial, kind and friendly and helpful. The spa treatments were wonderful. The rooms romantic, spacious and clean and quite comfortable. The food and drink was fantastic. Simply put, the food was fantastic. The surrounding museums and shops were fun. The Bee and Thistle Inn is an experience my wife and I will always cherish!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2009

The Bee and Thistle Inn is a well-appointed and visually-captivating establishment. It contains delicate antiques and comfy furniture, and the grounds are beautifully maintained. But the experience of staying at the Inn made me feel as though I barged into a fancy dinner party unannounced. Almost every night, a group of people (usually not guests) assemble in the living room for cocktails. Sometimes guests are invited to join the fun. Othertimes, we were not.

In general, the hotel is not run as a business, resembling more of a refuge for family members, friends and neighbors to relax at for a night or two. I never knew where anything was located on the property, as nothing was explained to me upon checkimg in. There are no televsions in the rooms, a feature that is not mentioned on the establishment's site. All in all, the Inn was trying very hard to appear sophisticated, and, at the same time, a relaxed retreat from the modern world. Unfortunately, it never achieved either objective to my satisfaction. The staff and innkeepers were lovely, though, just not very professional.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank suitcaselover
Reviewed June 19, 2009

This was an awful experience. The Innkeeper was rude several times to us, the room was nothing out of the ordinary (even though I had paid top dollar for a room with a fireplace), the heat was either on or off, so it was impossible to be comfortable the last week of January because it was either way too hot or way too cold. Although the food served at dinner was okay it was overpriced (a.k.a. poor value) for the small portions we received. I walked away hungry at ate crackers in my room afterward. The bus boy was more attentive to us then the waitress or the painful singing done by the Innkeeper who walked around singing to each table. Ugh, what a joke and embarrassment. The "get it yourself" breakfast was just as bad, and I was half way through my measly meal before the waitress bothered to ask if I wanted coffee. We planned to stay longer the morning, but the experience was so bad we packed our stuff and left. I do NOT recommend this place, and I will NOT return to this Inn. The Bee and Thistle Inn was simply awful and overpriced.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
#1 of 4 in Old Lyme
The Copper Beech Inn
The Copper Beech Inn
#1 of 2 in Ivoryton

Been to Bee and Thistle Inn and Lounge? Share your experiences!