“Local Star” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
New York City, New York
“Local Star”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

Last week, I took some friends to Jessie's in Old Lyme. Frankly I chose the restaurant based on location - but I was wrong. I should have chosen it for the food and for the service.

Jessie's should be considere a local star - its small but charming - and the food is out of this world. I hate to admit it - but the home made french fries and dipping sauces are to swoon over - and the commitment to local sourcing meant that our CT River shad did not travel far to get to our plates. The food - 100% of the food was excellent, salads, entrees, sides, specials and regular menu items - it was all fantastic.

They also have a small but approachable wine list and great bar service. I cannot say enough nice things about Jessie's - excpet - that I am going back as soon as I can.

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank MLH325

Venice, Italy
“Good food and great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

We had lunch at this restaurant and found the food good and the service extremely quick and attentive.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Judith A
Hamden, Connecticut
“Dinner from Hell”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

We were one of two tables being served - we did not think it would be too much of an issue to add an appetizer to the order after having put in our entrees (I mean, we figured it meant more business and $$ for them right?). What happened was the waitress went back to yell to the chefs that "These a-holes (used full word) want to now add an appetizer to their order." We then overheard them talking about us in the bar area, about five feet away, with huffing and puffing and upset/attitude. After I, being the sensitive and shocked woman I am, started to cry, we brought up our upset at overhearing the insults and apologized if it was too much trouble and if we had upset anyone by asking for the extra food. The waitress back tracked and tried to say the chef was the one to say the vulgarities and blame him but we had seen and heard her. I was so upset I couldn't eat - not to mention when I finally did try a piece of the food it was awful. We left in a hurry as we could not stand being there any longer. This was supposed to be a nice night out that I wish never had happened.

• Visited February 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank Jo M
Mystic, Connecticut
“Not up to par on Pannini or soup size”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

My husband's bowl of soup was half the size of other restaurants.We ordered Panninis.We have always had them grilled which melts the cheese.These were not toasted or grilled.They did taste good,but we wouldn't order these again.
If we go back to this restaurant we will be very careful when ordering.Service was good.

• Visited January 2014
5 Thank RGG42
New London, Connecticut
“Exceptional service, excellent food and relaxed atmosphere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

Cannot wait to go back! Joined the Old Lyme RTC for their annual Holiday get together, a private party that filled the modest dining room and bar. The chef and his wife are owner operators and did a fantastic job, along with the attentive staff. This is an impeccable restaurant. The choice of chicken, steak or shrimp offered what could have been mundane, at best. Instead, each plate was served hot, generously portioned, perfectly seasoned and unexpectedly prepared.

• Visited December 2013