“Love the new Old Lyme Inn”
Review of Old Lyme Inn

Old Lyme Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Old Lyme B&B and Inns
New England
“Love the new Old Lyme Inn”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

My husband and I recently had the pleasure of spending a night at the Old Lyme Inn. It was our first visit to the Inn since it's new and extensive renovation. We were delighted to find that while the essence of the old inn remained, the new renovation gave it the feel of a modern upscale hotel.

The Inn's walls still host many beautiful paintings, Impressionist and contemporary as well as a new and exciting music venue, which adds much to the art-rich Old Lyme area.

Very happy to see this old landmark given new life.

Room Tip: Room number 7 was located in the rear of the inn away from the main road on the second floor. . The...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Caroline885

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We recently stayed at the Inn, but were amazed to discover that they do not provide breakfast for their guests instead offer a 10%discount at a local cafe. Our room was lovely but no full length mirror anywhere and although they provided a coffee machine instead of breakfast a few cookies would have been welcome for afternoon or morning. Prices are extremely high not to provide a continental breakfast option. Fire door at top of stairs bangs shut behind you which considering how close the bedrooms are to the door is disturbing.

Room Tip: if you want a full bath check your room as some do not have them.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JoliveB
Trumbull, CT
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We were very fortunate to have the opportunity to stay at the Old Lyme Inn. Let me preface this by admitting that I grew up in Old Lyme and have always had a sentimental love for the inn, having dined there with my grandparents many times as a child. When I got married across the street from the Inn in 2010, my mother-in-law spent the night at the OLI and had a terrible time. The Inn's owners were in the process of selling and service was minimal and her experience awful. Since then, a family from the area has totally revamped the Old Lyme Inn and they have done so very well. They have updated the Inn to make it fresh and comfortable, while maintaining the beautiful charm and character it has always had. We ended up at the Inn along with 6 other family members when we lost power during Hurricane Sandy. At first, just having a place where we could could get warm and turn on lights was all we were hoping to find. Instead of just that, we were warmly greeted and our room was beautiful. Our daughter was just over 1 year old at the time, and we were given a large room with more than enough space to have her pack-n-play in its own area of the room. We had 4 rooms altogether as a family, and each room was well appointed, very attractive, clean and very comfortable. When the staff found out we had milk to keep refrigerated, one of the hotel staff brought a mini-fridge into our room for our daughter's bottles. We were given a discount on the room due to the inconvenience of the storm which I found so very generous. My favorite part of the weekend was having my daughter practice walking through the library and foyer in the mornings before anyone else at the Inn was awake. We felt so at home and comfortable. The staff could not have been nicer. We really felt that we were not just having a pleasant stay at an Inn, but experiencing kindness that you hope you will find when faced with adversity (the hurricane). The bar was cozy and a fun place to spend time before dinner. We ate out while we were there, only not at the Inn. My only suggestion would be that the restaurant menus broaden to be more vegetarian friendly. Overall, I highly recommend the new Old Lyme Inn to anyone looking for a great place to stay anytime of year! If I can get in another plug for my hometown, there is so much to see and do in the area.

Room Tip: If you want more space, ask for the handicap accessible room. All of the rooms our family stayed in...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Harper23
Chester, Ct
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My friends & I visited the bar to listen to Cantico one week night recently. (A favorite local band from Chester) We sat at the bar & Allie was bar-tending that night & she was fabulous! She made the most delicious dirty martini I have ever had in my life! I am not kidding you! This girl knew exactly what we martini drinkers want! If you are planning on going out for some phenomenal cocktails & service, Old Lyme Inn is the place & hopefully Allie will be behind the bar waiting to please you.......
Thank you Allie!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Theresa B
Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My girlfriend and I chose the inn for our new years eve celebration. Our reservation was honored promptly on arrival. We received nothing less than attentive, courteous service by the wait staff. We both ordered and loved the grilled salmon entree. The Inn owners themselves were busy attending to the guests, having arranged all the trappings for a wonderful celebration complete with a big band, photo booth, hats, noisemakers and champagne toast - bravo!

It has all the features you'd expect of an elegant country Inn, indoor and outdoor fire places and on this night complete with fixings to make your own s'mores. We'll be back....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Stonington, Connecticut
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Of course when we all go out for dinner we have high hopes of enjoying good food and service in a pleasant atmosphere.This was not to be here at the Old Lyme Inn restaurant.In one way I was lucky that I did not have to pay for the meal.On the other hand our friends that invited us got stuck paying for food that was no better than mess hall grub I had while in the service.Although the wait-server was inept we were obliged to tip.I have better memories of dining with my former service members than I did last week at this restaurant.Jerry B

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jerry B
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This was our first time dining at the inn. We were impressed with the service given to us by our waiter. However, some of our food choices were disappointing. ?My son and husband enjoyed the sausage and mashed potato dish. Two of us ordered the butternut squash soup with a cream marbling throughout and thought it was very bland and unremarkable. (It reminded me of pureed baby food squash- no added flavoring). It needed seasonings to zip it up and perhaps some croutons. I enjoyed the olive rolls but felt they should have been served warm. The others in our group do not like olives and felt there should have been a variety of bread items offered. I was pleased with the burger and sweet potato fries. Our guest had the steak fillet. While impressed with the texture of the beef, he felt it too was very bland. Hopefully these Trip Advisor "constructive criticism" reviews will be motivators for the innkeepers and their culinary team to plan improvements.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Bee and Thistle Inn and Lounge
Water's Edge Resort & Spa
Water's Edge Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Westbrook

Been to Old Lyme Inn? Share your experiences!