“New Years with a bang”

Ranked #2 of 3 Old Lyme B&B and Inns
Hartford, Connecticut, United States
“New Years with a bang”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My girlfriend and I chose the inn for our new years eve celebration. Our reservation was honored promptly on arrival. We received nothing less than attentive, courteous service by the wait staff. We both ordered and loved the grilled salmon entree. The Inn owners themselves were busy attending to the guests, having arranged all the trappings for a wonderful celebration complete with a big band, photo booth, hats, noisemakers and champagne toast - bravo!

It has all the features you'd expect of an elegant country Inn, indoor and outdoor fire places and on this night complete with fixings to make your own s'mores. We'll be back....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Stonington, Connecticut
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Of course when we all go out for dinner we have high hopes of enjoying good food and service in a pleasant atmosphere.This was not to be here at the Old Lyme Inn restaurant.In one way I was lucky that I did not have to pay for the meal.On the other hand our friends that invited us got stuck paying for food that was no better than mess hall grub I had while in the service.Although the wait-server was inept we were obliged to tip.I have better memories of dining with my former service members than I did last week at this restaurant.Jerry B

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jerry B
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This was our first time dining at the inn. We were impressed with the service given to us by our waiter. However, some of our food choices were disappointing. ?My son and husband enjoyed the sausage and mashed potato dish. Two of us ordered the butternut squash soup with a cream marbling throughout and thought it was very bland and unremarkable. (It reminded me of pureed baby food squash- no added flavoring). It needed seasonings to zip it up and perhaps some croutons. I enjoyed the olive rolls but felt they should have been served warm. The others in our group do not like olives and felt there should have been a variety of bread items offered. I was pleased with the burger and sweet potato fries. Our guest had the steak fillet. While impressed with the texture of the beef, he felt it too was very bland. Hopefully these Trip Advisor "constructive criticism" reviews will be motivators for the innkeepers and their culinary team to plan improvements.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Floridaexplorer
Bozrah, Connecticut
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Recently my boyfriend took me to the old lyme inn for my birthday dinner. We did not like the food at all.When we got back home we googled the place and found some reasons why our dinners weren't that great. We wrote to the restaurant impossible producers to see if they could help change things around. Of course there are a lot of places needing help and the show will never get here but it might help them a lot. Molly Derry

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Molly D
Waterford, Connecticut
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We were all excited to have the Old Lyme Inn Restaurant re-open.We watched for nearly a year the transformation taking place.My wife and I stopped in for a lunch and a dinner.To our dismay hopes of a finer menu were dashed early on.The anticipation of this grand old place warrented a somewhat better selection.Throughly disappointed we let some time go by.Several of us gave it another try to see if the imperfections had been ironed out.Alas! All hope was lost.The experience was just plain awful.The service,food and price was below par.This place has so much potenial but is horribly lacking in every aspect.Coupons and trivia Tuesday's are a silly ploy There are major problems that need to be addressed within the restaurant.I should have heeded advice from others and chosen a better place.There won't be a next time at the Old Lyme Inn Restaurant .Pub atmosphere is not the answer Robert S

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Robert S
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed in one of the newly added rooms. Everything was top quality. What impressed me most was the service and the friendly staff. After two long days of traveling my son needed a quiet night. Their restaurant was full but they accommodated us with an impromptu table in the sitting room, supplied not just the usual kid's placemat-and-crayon but age-appropriate family games and a delicious dinner.
Long story short: I highly recommend this place both for staying overnight and for dining.

Room Tip: We had #4 in the new part of the house. King size bed and air mattress for child. Very quiet, surrou...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed October 24, 2012

New owners, new dining menu, great refurbishments--the perfect get-away. My wife and I loved every minute of our weekend at the Old Lyme Inn. Easy access from the Interstate delivers you into a charming town steeped in American impressionist art history. The Inn is charming, warm and hospitable, with a superbly attentive staff, and great bar. Yes, the food is excellent and all dining rooms were packed during our visit. The locals love it--we spoke with many. A future jazz club in under construction and promises to be a big hit! More rooms will soon be open. I'd love to live there! A+ in our book. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Bathrobes provided
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bee and Thistle Inn and Lounge
Water's Edge Resort & Spa
Water's Edge Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Westbrook

Been to Old Lyme Inn? Share your experiences!