“Do Over”

Ranked #2 of 3 Old Lyme B&B and Inns
Hadlyme, Connecticut
“Do Over”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Several friends and myself recently visited the O.L.I Restaurant for dinner.We all found it disappointing at the very least.The foods that we ordered were small portioned,tasteless and plainly not creative . Not what one should expect and not a place even on the D list. Who ever is in the kitchen needs to re-think,re-do, and revive the menu to have any hope of returning guests.Alfred Dreyfus

3 Thank Alfred D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed May 29, 2012

The world of knowledge is at everyones finger tips in this day and age. The history of people, places and things are just a few key stokes away on the internet. I am not a restauranteur in as far as owning or working in them.I have dined in some of the finest the world over in my business travels. I've also been in some greasy spoon type places on the other end of the spectrum. Both have been enjoyable to the degree of what one should expect prior to entering. The old Lyme Inn Resataurant does not curry favor with me.Most likely only to those with a simple palate.Peter Stantin

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peter S
old lyme
Reviewed May 27, 2012

In Old Lyme, as in many surrounding towns on the CT Shoreline, there are an abundance of "average to mediocre" restaurants serving pub/diner food. Interestingly they are widely accepted and busy...for the many folks (of all walks of life) who desire a GIANT plate of food for $20 or less - I like to call it going OUT for a TV Dinner. So, like other reviewers I can understand both sides of the equation. There are some INCREDIBLE restaurants on the shoreline (Cafe Routier, The Copper Beech Inn, The River Tavern) so the Old Lyme Inn will need to seek it's place in the mix. They performed an AMAZINGLY GORGEOUS remodel. The setting is beautiful, a far cry from anything available in this artsy village. I frequently dine "solo" and enjoy sitting at the bar and on the patio (put some seats on the lawn too please!). I will admit to not having tried the "dinner" menu. However I have tried several items on the casual menu. While the overall quality of the food is fine, flavor is lacking - the Roasted Chicken Quesadilla (normally a favorite of mine) contained something along the lines of unseasoned, boiled chicken. The accompanying salad was so overwhelming vinegar-y/tart it made my lips wrinkle. The crunchy tuna melt seems similar and the frites are like shoestrings, messy and un-appealling as "finger food". For those of us who don't care for pea soup, perhaps they could offer a soup of the day? My favorite is the Crisp Olive and Mozzarella Sandwich - delicious although I would slice the fennel into slivers so it doesn't require a knife. And speaking of knives, my server took a food order and failed to deliver a place setting. After 3 trips back to "check on" me and not noticing anything, I got up and took a setting from the adjoining table.....never ever scrimp on training your staff....in a beautiful setting, people will tolerate "average" food, but poor service is never an excuse. Respect your servers enough to invest in their training and ensure mutual success! I hope they can strike a happy medium between the "palate-less thrifty" populace and the "foodies" who appreciate all things interesting in cuisine.

Room Tip: not a room guest
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank c s
Guilford, Connecticut
Reviewed May 26, 2012

What are they thinking???!!The place has been restored to perfection, the art is nice,the wine/spirits are quality grade BUT the food is not worthy of its surroundings.The foods we ordered for dinner were of poor quality with no taste . The owner must of poured millions into this venue but he/she short changed the menu.Not good at all!
This will be our last night.
P.S.Get rid of that horrible paper sign out front Mrs Joyce Silver

3 Thank Joyce S
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I recently visited the old Lyme Inn and was happy to see the renovations that were done. I can tell from a few previous writers on here have nothing better to do than complain, as that is what most blogs are for nowadays!!! The experience I had there was first class: the hostess was warm friendly and even took time to show my party some of the new renovations and artwork throughout. When we reached our table, we were greeted by a brigade of serving staff. The server was knowledgeable of the menu which did consist of many thins not usually found upon a menu like the antique lobster stew or the bento box. Obviously Barbara does not realize that you can get items like chestnuts FRESH all year long!! Many farms and purveyors carry specialty items like this for such customers “restaurants”. Now back to the menu and y visit. The food was exceptional. I especially loved the chicken livers, tandoori lamb and the damn good shrimp n grits should have been called “as good as sex” shrimp n grits. The grits were not instant and chances are they came from freshly ground dried corn “Which is the correct method”. I find it sad that some people bashed the food or menu since it has many new or creative items which is rare for Connecticut. I can’t find a single item on the menu that would come from a local diner. This was stated in a previous blog or complaint by a miserable person. I do realize items like local oysters are on the menu as a comfort food for local people. Also after reading the menu The Old Lyme Inn has utilized the best resources for food LOCAL ONES!! Not only does that mean freshness, it also is better for the environment. I would have to say that the food and wait staff are first hand and eager to welcome you into their home “The Old Lyme Inn”. Those that could not find anything on the menu except for the price probably have the palate of seagulls and eat garbage or look for those special 2 for $20.00 deals can we say cheap? Speaking of cheap I found the menu to be reasonably priced, even after all the renovations that have been done and also comparing it to what previous owners had charged. I will definitely frequent the Old Lyme Inn even if it’s for a drink and an order of the chicken liver crustini! Appetizer!! This is coming from someone who has been a chef for both Tom Colicchio and Bobby Flay on their resume!!

Jay

2 Thank Jay M
Deep River
Reviewed May 12, 2012

This Friday I ventured to the newly redone Old Lyme Inn for an early Mother’s day celebration. I was greeted by friendly hostesses and a delightful pianist upon arrival. We were seated in a smaller secluded room with a fireplace. It was so cozy and the atmosphere was lively in every room. We split all of our meals and were impressed with the lobster stew, Manhattan sirloin and a light spring pea soup. A must try! Later we inquired about the newly renovated guest rooms. The front desk staff gave us a tour after dinner. I will definitely be sending my friends to the Inn to stay in August.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Old Lyme
Reviewed May 9, 2012

The place looks wonderful since its make-over.Myself and friends went out to try the new restaurant.Nothing special on the men just ok.There is a nice bar setup with room to stretch out.Gossip will always be bantered about concerning places,things and people but it is very disheartening to hear the waitstaff murmur over in the coner about some of the negative things that take place in this restaurant.This had us all step back and we decided on heading on out.With the not so discreet info overheard might hear crickets in the corner next go around.Martha L

Also consider these accommodations in or near Old Lyme
Liberty Inn
#7 of 7 in Old Saybrook
Bee and Thistle Inn and Lounge
Angels' Watch Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to Old Lyme Inn? Share your experiences!