“Great stay ..... a little bit of the tropics in New England !!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Old Greenwich
Sandwich, Massachusetts
“Great stay ..... a little bit of the tropics in New England !!”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Really nice hotel ...... the atrium area is like being in the tropics with palm trees and water falls and streams -- great atmosphere and ambiance. The staff were friendly, pleasant and very helpful and very attentive to their guests.

Room Tip: Went for a ladies weekend on a groupon deal ....... pleasantly surprised !! Had a wonderful time and...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Britney P, Hospitality Specialist at Hyatt Regency Greenwich, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Good Evening,

Thank you for taking the time to write this very kind review. I very much enjoy your description of our atrium lobby; this defiantly paints a lovely picture. I am very happy to hear that you and your friends enjoyed your ladies weekend away; we would love to welcome you all back anytime! If I can be of any assistance in booking a future stay, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at Britney.Papantonio@hyatt.com. Thank you again!

Hyatt Regency Greenwich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

I checked into the Hyatt Regency Greenwich very late one evening - a delayed and exhausted traveler. My room was just as I requested except it was way too warm. The concerned and attentive bellman quickly adjusted the thermostat and the room cooled down to a comfortable 72 degrees.

However, about 3AM I woke up thinking I might have developed a fever, but when I checked the thermostat the room registered 84 miserable degrees. I worked with the thermostat until I felt cooler air and tried to get some more sleep.

Finally, several hours later - earlier than I had wanted to get up - the heat had returned so I called the front desk, reported the problem, asked them to send someone up and indicated I expected a rate adjustment. They agreed and really flew into action!

A very competent and sympathetic engineer was at my door in about three minutes, removed the wall panel and diagnosed a valve problem which he fixed temporarily until I checked out two hours later as planned. We discussed the problem and he was so apologetic. He indicated he was going to ask management to also waive the cost of my room service breakfast (see below*).

I was given a very generous discount off my room rate and the service was as pleasant and accommodating as any I have experienced anywhere in the world.

The reason I gave the room a "2" is I think someone upstairs knew this valve was troubled and unreliable, but didn't authorize a replacement until it began to cost the hotel in discounts and complaints. As I checked out I was assured this room was being taken "out of service".

In addition to the other staff members who were so professional, I particularly want to recognize Randy Bush, the electrician, for taking ownership of my comfort as well as his mechanical job.

*As for breakfast...it's complimentary if one gets dressed and goes to the breakfast buffet but horribly, insultingly expensive if one
wants to ease into one's day with room service in unrushed dressing gowned solitude. For
shame. Daphne

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Diningoutwithdaphne
Britney P, Hospitality Specialist at Hyatt Regency Greenwich, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Good Evening,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our property. I am very sorry to hear that the temperature of your room was very inconsistent, making your guest room uncomfortable for a large portion of your stay. I am, however, very happy to hear how well our staff handled the issue. I will most defiantly share with Randy your very kind words, he will be very pleased.

You do raise an excellent point regarding the fact that if someone did know that there was an issue with the valve previously, the issue could have been prevented. I will follow up with engineering to ensure that we are taking all preventative measures necessary in order to avoid this problem for the future.

If I can be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me at Britney.Papantonio@hyatt.com. I hope to welcome you back to The Hyatt Regency Greenwich again soon!

Indiana
Reviewed May 28, 2014

So they hadn't seen folks like us before. People who go on a three mile walk, then want bloody marys at 9:30am, but they were extremely accommodating. Even bringing them to our room because we didn't want anyone to see we were drinking bloody marys at 9:30am. The car service and valets were the best I have ever dealt with. And when I had to leave, on crutches, at 5:30 in the morning and the valets weren't in yet, the security guard helped me with my luggage. Food was very good. The bars close down a little early, but when you start at 9:30am that is probably a good thing. :) Rooms are a little older, and walls are pretty then, but I had a room as far away from the elevator as you could get, so I didn't hear too much except in the morning. Not much of a view, but not sure any room had a good view. Great place for a meeting.

Room Tip: The rooms can get pretty far away from the elevator, sometimes a good thing, sometimes not.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Britney P, Hospitality Specialist at Hyatt Regency Greenwich, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Good Evening,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your past stay with us. I do very much enjoy this review, and I think that others will find it quiet helpful. I am very happy to hear that you had excellent encounters with our valets and security guard, I will make sure to share with them your warm words. I do apoligize about the far walk to your guest room. Please do not hesitate to contact me at britney.papantonio@hyatt.com, if you need any assistance in a future booking. We would love to welcome you back to our property anytime with bloody mary in hand!

Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I stayed for the first time very recently at the Hyatt Regency in Greenwich and I have nothing but praise for this lovely place. The common rooms are spacious and elegant, and the sleeping rooms are extremely well appointed and most comfortable. The only item which some might consider a drawback is that this hotel is so well situated and so very spacious that it is the venue for many organization meetings, small conventions, etc.I did not find this in the least bothersome but some might and so I mention it.The hotel runs a shuttle service to and from the Stamford train station which is about a mile away and is the express train stop for Grand Central Station in NYC.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Good Evening,

Thank you for your very kind words regarding your stay experience. I am very happy to hear that your stay was both comfortable and elegant. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and I think it is safe to say that many travelers will find this review helpful.

If I can be of any assistance in booking a future stay, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at Britney.Papantonio@hyatt.com. I hope to welcome you back to The Hyatt Regency Greenwich again soon!

Monte Nido, CA
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Only stayed here one quick night, but have been here before and this is up to part with other Regencies. My room was clean and updated, the only drawback was that I had a view of a roof.

Also the movie system wasn't working well and when I asked to have the charge removed the person at the front desk said they would, but the next morning the charge was there.

Food was the same as others in this level of Hyatt.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Britney P, Hospitality Specialist at Hyatt Regency Greenwich, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Good Evening,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your returning stay with us. I am very happy to hear that your room was clean and updated, however, I do apologize that the view from the room was a letdown. I do apologize that the movie system was not working well and furthermore that we did not adjust off the charge after it was confirmed that we had. Please accept my sincerest apologies for all of the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. If I can be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at Britney.Papantonio@hyatt.com. I hope to welcome you back to The Hyatt Regency Greenwich again soon!

Cockeysville, Maryland
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Stayed here in April 2014 and the stay was great. Have a lot of complainers on here, don't know why. The place was beautiful, the lobby was amazing. One of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed at. Would stay here again if in the area. The staff was friendly, the room was cleaned, the indoor pool are was fantastic. I had free wifi during my stay. Would highly recommend

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Britney P, Hospitality Specialist at Hyatt Regency Greenwich, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Good Evening,

Thank you for taking the time to share with everyone your stay experience at our property. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We would absolutely love to welcome you back again soon! If you need any assistance regarding a future stay or have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at Britney.Papantonio@hyatt.com.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

I figured I would write this review while I am currently staying here. I am at the gym... Unable to use wifi while I workout even though I am paying the RIDICULOUS $15 per day wifi fee in my room. I called the front desk and they had no way of connecting me to wifi... Unless I go back to my room. For $15 a day, I should be able to access wifi anywhere in this hotel.

Overall, I get the impression that hyatt just wants to nickel and dime guests at every turn. Our breakfast buffet was $17.50 per person (plus tip for the waiter who brought us glasses of water). It was mediocre; I had dry eggs and a few pieces of fruit. Most of the fruit was slimy and had to be discarded. I took some oatmeal but it was so overlooked and gummy I could not eat it. On day two I liked the breakfast vastly more because there was a man making omelets to order - and he made a good omelet! I really enjoyed that and he was very friendly. Thanks omelet guy - you helped redeem our stay here. The fruit was a bit better day two. The watermelon was great but the strawberries still seemed old.

The atrium is beautiful and that is what this place has going for it. The atrium is unique and gorgeous. We sat down there last night for drinks and dessert.

The room is nice enough. Our sheets were torn, exposing the bare mattress below, which was kind of gross. The decor is very masculine. The view of the atrium is cool. The walls are almost literally paper thin. I listened to a woman coughing (it sounded like she was in the room next to me) while I got dressed, and as I left my room I could hear her coughing all the way until I passed her room - 6 doors down and across the hall! You hear everything hear. I heard a man take a phone call and could just barely heard the person on the other end.

The gym is very nice but again - don't think you can use your $15 wifi in here. Nope - you'll be stuck trying to answer work emails from your phone. But it is an outstanding gym - lots of nice equipment for lifting and cardio. I spent a lot of time here and did enjoy the machines a lot.

The staff are mostly friendly. The omelet guy was nice. We were told parking behind the building was free. I am just waiting to see our bill to see how much they actually charged us for this. Oh and make sure you don't drink that tempting bottle of water in your room - you will be out $5 if you do.

We went down to the bar last night. It took a while for a server to make his way to our table and after looking at the menu for a while, we really could not justify spending $24 (plus tax and tip I assume) on two glasses of wine. We make good money; we are very well employed and quite fortunate - but we have limits and we both don't like feeling like we are being taking advantage of - and the prices here were just ridiculous. Because we didn't want to fork over more money on alcohol or food, we couldn't even enjoy the atrium - there is no where to sit that you don't need to spend money. So back to our room we went after a disapproving look from the server.

To be perfectly honest, this experienced soured me on the Hyatt. I had booked four nights in maui this July at the Hyatt for a portion of our honeymoon. I canceled that this afternoon. I don't think I will be returning to a Hyatt anytime soon.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank SummerLove11
Britney P, Hospitality Specialist at Hyatt Regency Greenwich, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Good Evening,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay experience at The Hyatt Regency Greenwich. You have provided me with some very useful and detailed information regarding how we can improve our property, this is greatly appreciated.

Firstly, I do want to apologize for Wi-Fi issue you experienced. I do not want you, or any of our guests to feel as they are being nickel and dimed, however, I do see what caused you to feel this way. This issue we can resolve by ensuring that the Hyatt Guestroom Network Signal can be accessed by guests in the gym as well as the guest room. I will get with our AVT team on this matter immediately. I will also make sure that no more bottles of water get placed in the guestrooms without a tag noting its cost.

The torn sheets that were in your guest room are absolutely unacceptable. We do strive for cleanliness in our guestrooms so thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I am glad to hear that you did enjoy the atrium, and that you did have a good encounter with a gentleman working the omelet station.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for this inconvenience. If I can be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at the e-mail listed below. I would love for you and your loved ones to come back and enjoy the atrium and give us one more chance to show you our improvements.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Old Greenwich
#5 of 14 in Stamford
Doral Arrowwood
Doral Arrowwood
#2 of 2 in Rye Brook

Been to Hyatt Regency Greenwich? Share your experiences!