“Amazing!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ban Xieng Lom
Bitry, France
“Amazing!”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

This is really the place to be! The nature, the people, the food, our accommodation. Quit, only the sound of nature and the animals. Near by the river, so nearby the waterfall. Everything was perfect. We enjoyed the friendly dog copain! She was so sweat! And Moon, the manager, she completed our trip perfectly. Visiting a school in a little village nearby Zen Namkhan Boutique Resort. After she dropped us in Luang Prabang and made sure that we came home safe! Really were 5 amazing days here! Thank you and for sure... We'll be back!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gabrielle S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Reviewed May 1, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here with lots of family and 6 kids. The food is delicious, the staff are terrific, relaxed, friendly and put up with our noisy children. The views are spectacular, really breathtaking and we liked the Eco pool which is like swimming in a pond which is really refreshing and the kids loved.

Really atmospheric and we had a lovely 4 days.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Venetia B
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 28, 2012

It pains me to have to write a Poor review on this place as the people working there were just the nicest and the grounds are beautiful.

Unfortunately the way they position themselves "boutique resort", the conditions and management of the place does not match up.

1. To reserve a room, you have to pay via Paypal. I find that to be a huge inconvenience particularly compared to the Apsara in Luang Prabang in which they didn't even ask for any payment to reserve a room.

2. All day before and morning of my arrival, I called at least 20 times to get the directions. Both the reservations line and contact line were "turned off" per the mobile phone company's recorded message. Luckily the staff at the Apsara was able to find a driver to take us there since most in Luang Prabang did not seem familiar with Zen Namkhan. When we got there, I was told that the owner was on holiday and had her phones turned off.

3. The eco-pool is overplayed. Very clear water but slimy algae is just gross. Even eco-resorts in Costa Rica (which is very well known for its eco-tourism) have pools that are not gross.

4. Which leads to the next thing - air conditioning. None anywhere. Not cool when it's just freaking hot and humid and buggy.

5. And no backup power generator. Ok, I admit that I might be pushing it a bit with this one given that this is Laos. But again, if this place hadn't advertised itself as a "boutique resort", I wouldn't be complaining about this. Or any of the items above for that matter. Why is power generator important? Because there are blackouts. We didn't experience any while in Luang Prabang so perhaps it was just bad luck for the one night at Zen Namkhan.

To be balanced, there are great things - the views, the seclusion, the friendly staff, the dog.

But tip to those who are thinking about this - the 4.5 stars that shows up in Tripadvisor and the "boutique resort" positioning is misleading -- unless you like to camp in humid weather and aren't freaked out by lots of bugs. There is a lot of stairs to climb between the main area and the rooms - for older people, I'd be concerned of slipping and exertion.

Room Tip: The rooms at the bottom require the most climbing of stairs but open up to a beautiful view. Don...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank StuckOnTravels
indianajone27, Owner at Zen Namkhan Boutique Resort, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Dear Guest on behalf of my staff thank you for your comments I know they work hard to make the stay of our guest as much pleasant as possible and I will give to my dog a big bone!

I take this opportunity to clarify some misinterpretation when you refer 4.5 stars in TripAdvisor. The 4.5 its refer only to the total appreciation given by our guest. For instance 91% of our guest found the service and the resort in general good to excellent (Excellent representing 78%). This is nothing to do with the stars according by different agencies or the Ministry of tourism to the hotel for the quality and service provided. In my point of view according to western standard we are in between 3.5 and 4

In reference of Boutique Resort according to the definition of wikipedia: Boutique Hotel are furnished in a themed, stylish and/or aspirational manner. Boutique hotels are often individual and focused on offering their services in a comfortable, intimate, and welcoming setting, so they are therefore extremely unlikely to be found amongst the homogeneity of large hotel. Many boutique hotels have on-site dining facilities, and the majority offer bars and lounges that may also be open to the general public. I think we meet this definition.

Regarding the deposit I admit it's come from me. When I have to go in town to pick up a client and it's don't show up (after waiting an hour+ the time to get there + gasoline) and i didn't ask for any deposit you understand as intelligent man I don't repeat the same mistake twice. But if the client come by himself I don't mind to forget about the deposit...

I just want to mentioned we have 3 villas with A/C and 7 with out. You should ask for A/C unit I am sorry about that. The architecture of 5 villas that don't have A/C have high ceiling for the hot air going up, they have ceiling and floor fan, we maximize the open windows that the breeze can come in and you are in the mountain. This give you the opportunity to listen the birds or the elephant near by and give you the feeling to be in the nature. We had install Mosquitos net so you can sleep comfortably. For my point of view A/C is a must in the city because of the noise and there no breeze but if you want to feel what's to be in the jungle in the nature the A/C is not a must.

For the swimming pool we working hard to make it as clear and nice is possible but ecologic swimming pool is like a pond with everything come with...

I am sorry for the blackout you had at the resort and if it was a necessity to install a generator I will install it. Last year we didn't have more than 36 hours (and this is the maximum) of black out for the all year. That it's mean less than .004%. Plus the vast majority of hotel in Luang Prabang don't have generator therefore we don't see the necessity to install one. We have only 10 room and you know how much the cost of generator I don't see any reason for that.

For the stair and the distance of the unit from the dining room we built the resort to give the maximum of tranquility and again to give you the feeling to be alone in the nature of Laos. I will said guest who come to visit us must not be afraid to walk or use the stair!

Please receive my Best Regards

Luc
Beijing, Beijing, China
Reviewed April 13, 2012

This is a great resort a ways outside of Luang Prabang. If you are looking for a Mountain getaway this will be perfect. If instead you are looking for a place close to the town of Luang Prabang, you are probably better off choosing someplace else. The property's best feature is the great owner who was full of recommendations and help. I did find the prices at the resort quite high, especially compared to other places in Luang Prabang.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Amazingly beautiful and peaceful small resort with a fantastic pool. It's about 30 mins from Luang Prebang up in the hills, in the forest with lovely views. Its a great place to go to relax after a few days in the hot city looking at temples and markets . The resort is small (I think about 18 separate vilas / bungalows set on stilts in the woods) and incredibly beautiful. Service was imaculate and the cooking delicious - all run by a very friendly French/Laos couple. You can just swim and read or go walking/ trekking, kyakking, or have spa treatments. Also it's 10 mins walk to the elephant santuary, so we went and watched the elephants crossing the river every morning to work - and did a one day mahout course!

Room Tip: The rooms are in wooden houses in the woods and are big - each with there own veranda. You can hear...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Caro201297
La Jolla, California
Reviewed January 22, 2012

We enjoyed a wonderful and peaceful three days at the Zen Namkhan overlooking the
Zen Namkhan River 15 km Luang Prabang. Rooms were lovely, ours had a large vaulted ceiling and indoor/outdoor shower with porch on which to relax and enjoy the sunsets and activity on the river below. Although we would have liked a bit more hot water, it was
just an outstanding stay. Our three daughters, 17, 13, and 11 loved the setting as well.
We enjoyed that it was a quick hike to the elephant village and a short boat ride to the waterfalls. Wished our stay was a bit longer.

Moon, the manager could not have been more helpful and hospitable. This is a peaceful
place, and a nice spot to enjoy the countryside after our stay in town in Luang Prabang.
Most definitely a highlight on our three week journey.

Room Tip: We booked a wonderful family room with a queen and separate couch/twin. It was a very large room wi...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Nykoping, Sweden
Reviewed December 30, 2011

The surroundings were spectaculare. The staff was nice and serviceminded, and served good food. The house we stayed in lacked ventilation wich disturbed us, and was a shame on the newbuilt pretty house.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
#12 of 69 in Luang Prabang
Lotus Villa Boutique Hotel
Lotus Villa Boutique Hotel
#14 of 69 in Luang Prabang

Been to Zen Namkhan Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!