“Noisy with maintenance issues”

Holiday Inn Norwich
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Norwich
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My wife brought me here for a birthday trip to the casino. There was a funk to the carpets in the floor we stayed on but the room didn't look to bad at first. It had a fridge which is always a plus and it was in decent shape. As soon as we got there the toilet wouldn't flush. They sent someone up to fix it fairly quickly. The toilet stopped working again in the middle of the night. We found out in the morning that our friends who were also staying there had problems with their toilet as well. They were on a different floor. I'm not sure what is wrong with the plumbing there but it's not the type of problem you want to deal with on a night away. I mentioned it at the front desk when checking out and didn't even get an apology or really even an acknowledge it. Terrible customer service.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

We sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations. I have spoke with the chief engineer about the plumbing issues so that they may be addressed properly. We have also instructed our shuttle drivers to do periodic floors walks to prevent future hallway disturbances.
We strive to provide great guest experiences and when we fall short we value your comments so that we may correct the issues.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

First of all, when I stay at a hotel, I'm not a guest, I'm a paying customer! This being said, I was a 'guest' at this hotel from Feb. 19-21 as I was moving from Mystic to another location in Connecticut. During the first night at the hotel, my brand new 2013 car was vandalized in the Holiday Inn parking lot. When I discovered the damages, I reported it immediately to the management. The security guard to pictures of the car & we filled in a report. There was over $3,889.39 worth of damages done to my car & Holiday Inn refuses to pay my deductible --- their argument is "you park at your own risk" and they are not liable!! My recommendation is to stay away from this Holiday Inn! You'll be staying at your own peril! Is this a good way to treat your 'guests'?

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank MaMaFee
Brian D, Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

I truly apologize but we cannot be responsible for vehicles. Ahs this could have happened anywhere.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Spent one night at this hotel and enjoyed our stay. Anna was very pleasant at the front desk and helpful. We asked for a room move and she happily moved us and even gave us drink coupons for having to move. Shuttle driver was great! We used the shuttle to commute to Mohegan. Awesome service that you offer! Loved the pool tables in the lounge and the fact that the bar stayed open until after 1:00 am. Breakfast was good but service wasn't great. Definitely would stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2013
kwsun12, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you Forrett for your review of your recent stay with. We appreciate all the comments that you left, and will make sure that the service in our breakfast restaurant WOWs you the next time you stay with us. Thank you again and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed March 24, 2013

After booking a room at this hotel online, I was very disappointed when we arrived! I had asked for a non smoking room with a King sized bed. The non smoking part of the request was for me I am an asthmatic and can not tolerate smoke. The king sized part of the request was for my partner who is just about six feet and is more comfortable in a king sized bed. When we checked in we were given a smoking room and two queen sized beds. We told them that was not what we requested online and gave them our reasons for the request and were told thatthey werefull and that was the only room that they had. I commented to my partner while the clerk was checking us in that I hope the hospital is close in case I had an asthma attack. The clerk Ewa who I was not talking to said it's one exit away in a flippant way! We took our cards and went to the room and as soon as we opened the door we were smacked in the face with the odor of cigar smoke. We left the room and went to talk to the manager who told us she couldn't refund our money but she could ionize our room and that the process takes about a half hour, and we could not be in our room. She gave us each a free drink ticket for the bar. While we were standing there another group came to complain about the smoke smell in their room. So apparently this is a problem here. More than one room complained and they have an ionizer and know that it takes a half hour to ionize a room. We waited for our room to be ionized and when it was donr we went back in. The ionization process did not make a difference and upon examining our room further the carpets were badly stained all over and the overall cleanliness of the room was pitiful. Also the air conditioning heating unit made a loud hummimg noise and rattled. Their idea of a fix was to stuff cardboard in it! Needless to say their two drinks was not a suitable fix for us and we would not stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

I appologize that we could not accomodate you requests. After reviewing your reservation there were no additional comments requesting the king size bed or non-smoking room. Priceline reservations come over as what ever is available at the property. We always try to accomodate our guests upon arrival under these reservations. I am truely sorry that we could meet your requests.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed here for St Patty's weekend on a trip to Mohegan. We had originally booked two rooms at the casino for almost $400 a room and after looking around i found this hotel and we literally got two king suites on the 6th floor for less than the price of one standard room at the casino. The check-in / check out was great, Justin at the front desk was great! There is a free shuttle to take you to and from the casino. The indoor pool was nice and warm and breakfast was SUPER good (please tell the cooks they rock). The rooms were nice then we expected for a holiday inn, pillows were tagged with firm / soft, the entire hotel was very clean. The only odd thing there were the red fire ants that bite in the corner of our room which i did not notice until we were leaving, so needless to say they left us alone. All in all, very nice hotel with really great staff.

Room Tip: on the 6th floor, some of the rooms have balconies - try to get one if you can :)
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Brian D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thank you for your outstanding comments we try to give all our guests that special touch. We appreciate you patronage

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed here for my birthday March 1st because Jasen Aldean was playing the rooms at Mohegan were a minimum of $450 and I could never afford to pay that and afford to eat or gamble. So I checked around for hotels with a shuttle that give military discounts. This hotel was clean, comfortable and the staff were wonderful !!! We had no problem getting a shuttle to and from the casino and while we were waiting for friends to arrive we had a drink and appetizer at the restaurant . The food was good but average but the bartender was sweet and made a great drink. We will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: They have a good size refrigerator and a microwave in every room !
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Brian D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Thank you for your comments. Our team members are committed to delivering great guest service. We hope to see you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

A group of 5 of us decided to take a last minute trip to Mohegan Sun and needed somewhere reasonable to stay. The price was great for a last minute Saturday night. The shuttle was on time and very accommodating. The rooms were very clean and having the fridge was convenient. Check in took only a few minutes, and check out was even simpler. The staff allowed us to check out at noon instead of 11 am with no additional fee, because we stayed the Saturday into Sunday of "springing ahead" for daylight savings.
I would definitely come back to this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

It’s great when we can make your experience a memorable one. We love to exceed our guest’s expectations. Please come back and see our new look after June.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
#1 of 4 in Uncasville
Comfort Suites- Norwich
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Uncasville
Fairfield Inn & Suites Uncasville

Been to Holiday Inn Norwich? Share your experiences!