“ok hotel convenient to mohegan sun”

Holiday Inn Norwich
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Norwich
GreenLeadersSilver level
brooklyn, ny
“ok hotel convenient to mohegan sun”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We spent 3 nights in this hotel over the Labor Day weekeend. We picked it because we wanted to spend some time at the local casinos, and rooms at both Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun were very expensive. The room rates here were much more reasonable. Hotel is located a short distance from Mohegan Sun and hotel has a free shuttle that will take you back and forth to Mohegan Sun. Ride was about 10 minutes, shuttle runs every 30 minutes on Friday/Saturday, every hour on other weeknights. Shuttle drivers were very friendly and courteous.
As for the hotel itself, check in was quick and pleasant. Our check in was handled by Ewa, she was very nice and professional. Our room was very spacious, had 2 Queen size beds that were comfortable, microwave, fridge, 32 inch flat screen tv with 40 channels. Bathroom was small, but that was ok since overall room was large. Although we enjoyed our room, the room carpet and wallpaper both had stains on them. New carpeting and fresh wallpaper would definitely make room look better and newer. Hotel has a decent size indoor pool, but pool area is very worn and in need of a makeover. The pool water was also ice cold while the area itself was very warm and humid. Hotel does not have much of a gym, just a few treadmills/ellipticals, no weights. Hotel has an onsite restaurant/sports bar named Scorz, it seemed like it would be a good place to watch a game, but i would not recommend eating there. We had dinner there one night, food is typical bar food (wings, burgers, sandwiches, etc) and quality is mediocre. Server in restaurant also wasn't very friendly. There are definitely better dining options within driving distance, and of course Mohegan Sun has a number of dining options.
Overall, if you are looking for 5 star luxury and amenities, you will probablly be disappointed here. But if you're looking for a decent, affordable hotel with easy access to Mohegan Sun, you should be ok here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ronnoc30
Brian D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for your comments. I will look into the food as we seldom have issues with the quality. Our room are going under renovatioin in March, 2013. We look foward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel while in town for a concert at the Mohegan Sun Arena. The front desk employees were very friendly and helpful. We did not use the shuttle service though the front desk did offer and explain the service to us. Our room was very nice and clean but parts of the hotel definitely need a face lift.
Our only problem was the breakfast service. The waitress/hostess was very gruff and unfriendly. As soon as we entered she yelled for us to go find a seat even though the sign clearly stated to wait to be seated. We should've taken that as a sign and went elsewhere. When our breakfast came my husband had a question about one item. Instead of coming to our table to speak to us the waitress grabbed a menu from the front of the restaurant and loudly read the description of the item to us. Everyone in the restaurant heard her because she was so loud and it was very uncomfortable. By this time I just wanted to leave but we did finish our breakfast since we were paying extra for it. While I understand the customer is not always right this behavior is unacceptable from a customer service stand point.
We would not stay at this hotel again due to the service we received at the restaurant. It is too bad that horrible customer service in one area can effect the whole visit but it did.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear DAT858,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I am pleased you were satisfied with the service you received from our front desk staff and your room accommodations. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you experienced at the restaurant. We will use your comments to improve our efforts. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Salem, Connecticut
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed here for a week after selling my home, the rooms were very clean, and considering I do have ocd that's a big compliment. There weren't too many people in the hotel so I was the only person on my floor, until a convention came in, and even then they placed all those people in a different floor on purpose to keep my floor quiet. There's a restaurant and bar in the lobby which was nice. The staff was very accommodating considering I just sold my home and my new house wasn't ready, so the hotel was basically my temporary home. I'm up all night usually and even the third shift person was nice. And most third shift people aren't. Every day the room was cleaned. The bathrooms especially were in great shape. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. It's always great to hear from our guests. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and that my late night team was accomodating. We look foward to your return.
Reviewed August 23, 2012

First off we should of had money off because there was no pool, the rooms were filthy the were dust bunnies behind my bed and cigarette buds and the food was god dam awful. Next we had taken the shuttle bus to Mohengen and right off the bat me and my kids and i almost busted are behinds on that step stool it looks like the same step stool that my kid uses to brush his teeth. Then when we were driving to and from the Mohegen the man wouldn't turn the air on and was playing elevator music. I WILL NEVER STAY AT YOUR HOTEL EVER AGAIN!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank BobbySanders69
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Dear BobbySanders69,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I want to assure you our Hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay. I trust we can regain your confidence in the Holiday Inn Norwich Hotel soon.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Melville, New York
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We are a travel baseball team from LI and played in a tournament and stayed here – The hotel itself was large to accommodate players, coaches and family keeping them all together on one floor. The rooms were clean and big. This allowed the boys to share rooms and give them space to “hang out” and relax. The hotel itself was very convenient because it has a sports bar/restaurant at the location. The hotel staff was VERY accommodating. Denise, the front desk manager, couldn’t do enough for everyone. She helped arrange dinner at the sports bar, breakfast in the morning and worked around our changing schedule based on game times. Not only is this hotel a great find for the team but for those parents who wanted to get away for a few hours the hotel offers a shuttle to/from the casino which is only a few minutes down the road. Good hotel even better staff! Needs some updating but highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank T T
kwsun12, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay and your team's expirence with our hotel and it is a pleasure to host all of our guests. It is through your comments that we can continue to keep good customers, such as you, coming back to our hotel and also help other understand the potential experiences they will have if they choose to stay with us. Again, many thanks! We truly enjoyed being of service to you and your group, and look forward to serving your group again in the future.
Dayville CT
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Being a frequent Friday night karaoke guest, id like to comment on the previous review, having overheard some of your conversations that night. Blaming management and staff for keeping you and your family is safe shows a lack of responsibility on your part. Perhaps instead of sitting at the bar til 1am, ignoring phone calls from your children upstairs asking when you were coming back, you should have stayed in your room with them. Its not the management fault you aren't good parents. I may be biased having to come to know the staff and never having an issue, and when I have stayed at the hotel, i also never had any issues. The staff do the best they can, especially with dealing with losers like you.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Brian D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Thank you for your comments we love to hear from our guests. I hope you continue to enjoy the karaoke
Halifax, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I and my three children stayed for 2 nights with our softball team. We were made to feel as if we were suspicious characters by the manger. Having to escort my children any place they went in the hotel.
The room was ok the pool was hot as _____. The other staff was good but the manager needs work.
I will leave out the details of the stay as they are numerous and this experience has taken too much of my time as it is.
I did ask why we were treated this way when checking out and was given this response.
We want to make sure you family is safe, many of the guests that stay are young men that visit the casino and get drunk. These men can’t tell if a girl is 15 years old from an older guest and may get rude or improper with our children. So these rules are for your protection.

None of this was explained when the room was booked and it seems to me that we were made to suffer for the behavior of other guests. This info would have been nice to know before we paid such a fee to consort with drunken predators.
Not a place I will stay again

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Peter M
We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience your group may have experienced.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and we are taking the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. I appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

In an effort to retain your patronage and to demonstrate our commitment to guest satisfaction, we did not charge your group for the meeting rooms that was used on Saturday evening.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we appreciate all of the business that you send our way. If you have any other concern or need additional assistance, please feel free to call me at any time.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
Fairfield Inn & Suites Uncasville
Courtyard Norwich
Courtyard Norwich
#5 of 6 in Norwich

Been to Holiday Inn Norwich? Share your experiences!