“Heading downhill - but getting a facelift” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Spa at Norwich Inn

The Spa at Norwich Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Norwich
The Big Apple, New York
“Heading downhill - but getting a facelift”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2007

My mother, sister and I just spent 2 nights at the Norwich Inn and Spa. The room was definitely dated (sheets that were fuzzy and worn in) and the spa itself looked like it hadn't had a facelift in 20 years.

Some of the cons:
1) Requested a female therapist and they could not honor that request, saying "sometimes too many people request and there are not enough therapists" but they DID honor it after 3 phone calls to management.
2) Bedding was old (they need to replace the king sized sheets); even when we had them change the sheets they were still worn.
3) Meditation room - a great room where you cannot talk with comfy chairs had only 8 chairs. People literally hovered outside of the room to wait for them and were rude about the "I was here first" mentality. Room was dated too, with cigarette burns in the carpet.
4) Limited dining options and Ascots (pub/bar) was grossly understaffed. Had to get our own menus and walk up to the bar for service.

Some of the pros:
1) Excellent massages (they have these adjustable tables to really customize your massage, how you lay on the bed...)
2) Food at Kensingtons was delicious though nothing unique or memorable.
3) Service was great - entire staff was friendly, laid back and accommodating.
4) After seeing other rooms that had completely different decor than ours we learned that the rooms are being renovated one by one.

• Liked — Spa treatments
  • Disliked — Old bedding
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank BigAppleWriter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
new york, new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2007

My husband and I were looking for a relaxing getaway and the spa was the perfect solution. The staff was friendly and the atmosphere was relaxed and calm from the moment we walked in. Our room was extremely comfortable and clean. The treatments were excellent and we also enjoyed the candlelight yoga. We ate at Kensington's for breakfast and dinner and both meals were delicious. Overall, we had a lovely weekend and can't wait to return!

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank traveler191
Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2006

The spa was, as many people here expressed, average. Prices were definitely very high for this inn/spa, thus the 2 stars. Any spa will be relaxing and this was suitably so. We found the spa dated and on the small side. Our room was very cold when we arrived. The temp outside was only around 40. I can't imagine what it would've been like on a cold day. Apparently there was an issue with the boiler. It was rectified after a couple of hours, but left for a very uncomfortable arrival. Besides the boiler issue, the room didn't have heat on at all, so even without that issue it would make for an uncomfortable arrival, any time in the winter at least. We have a mixed review on dinner, it was very good from my perspective, but my girlfriend wasn't that impressed, although she enjoyed the complimentary tapanades very much. The breakfast buffet was a disappointment. Tea and scones in the afternoon were nice.

• Liked — Dinner
  • Disliked — Value
  • Tips/Secrets — Consider spas at Mohegan Sun or Foxwoods instead (this inn/spa is owned by Foxwooods but not as good as the spa at casino/hotel)
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank guysmiles
nyc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2006

A co-worker highly recommended the spa, and while my sister and I enjoyed the food, the spa services were expensive and overrated. (We've had better treatments elsewhere for far less money in the NY area).

The country getaway, which includes the overnight stay, dinner, and breakfast, is a fair deal, and this we enjoyed.

The staff was inconsistent. The front desk clerk was crisp, quick, and dismissive--did not make a great first impression. The spa workers, particularly at the desk, were haughty and rude. Other staff members, however, were pleasant.

I was very disappointed in the so-called "afternoon tea with scones." After having traditional tea in London, I looked forward to this. Well, the inn should call their version "come early and get as much as you can because in five minutes it will be gone and we don't replenish." It was much ado about nothing!

Overall, an average rating. We thought the food was great, the service okay, and the afternoon tea terrible.

Stayed May 2006
3 Thank glovetrekker
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2006

This was my third time staying at The Spa at Norwich Inn and we simply loved it - again. The staff is always so friendly and helpful. I loved seeing the long time staff at the front desk, those gals are so wonderful!

The room was just as expected - bright, cheery and comfortable. I completely disagree with the complaints I've read. I've stayed in the villas and the inn and love both rooms. The villas are great in the winter with the fireplaces.

I always enjoy at least one dinner in Kensingtons and the waitstaff is as professional as they come. Just love that Eric!

While the spa can get busy at times, I just dream about that vitamin wrap.

I've never had a problem with the staff or a room. I continue to recommend this hotel/spa often!

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank travelchickie2
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2006

I went with a friend to the SPA for a pedicure and Sea Salt body Scrub. It was wonderful!!! The staff is helpful , professional and friendly and I found the facility to be very clean. I would highly recommend the Norwich Inn and Spa as travel destination.

Stayed June 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2006

What can I say except I found this "hotel" very overpriced and not very upscale. I had read many of the reviews here some good some bad and I was surprised to find that this hotel charges the highest rates yet the rooms and ammenities were only fair. When we arrived my party found that we were booked into a small unit that was detached from the main building. Upon entering the room I was really taken with how bland and tired the place looked.

I expected fresh and elegant and instead It was very very average like a middle of the road motel. The price of the room does not reflect what I saw. We ate our first meal at the main building and it was ok but as we spoke to many of the guests we found that most choose to eat elsewhere . I guess I'm spoiled to have stayed in many very high end elegant hotels all over the world ...this is not on that list .

• Stayed May 2006
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
#1 of 4 in Mashantucket
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,376 reviews
Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Uncasville

Been to The Spa at Norwich Inn? Share your experiences!