“A bit dated but had an excellent stay” 4 of 5 stars

You added The Spa at Norwich Inn to your Saves list
The Spa at Norwich Inn
3.5 of 5 Spa   |   607 West Thames Street, Norwich, CT 06360   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Norwich
“A bit dated but had an excellent stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

we booked last minute on Expedia; a villa for 2 with king bed, kitchen, bath, etc. These "villas" are rental or time share properties detached from the Inn but within walking distance. They are dated, our first room was musty, door jams rusty and carpets stained. While we were inspecting the room a realtor entered who was getting ready to show the place. This was not acceptable so the front dest gave us another villa closer to the main building and in better shape. This villa had a view of the golf course and was in better shape but still had stains on the carpet, a bathroom door that was so stuck it was hard to get in and out of. the furniture looks like it was from the late 80's or 90's and could use some sprucing up. The bed was big, high and comfortable for an overnight and we did get a good night's sleep in this quiet location. for a nominal fee you have daily use of spa, pool, fitness room which was worth it!!!!! i didn't have any treatments; there was a huge wedding that night and we did book our room last minute but the services are very expensive $65 for a manicure without tip. but everyone looks happy to be there and the grounds are lovely. the wedding looked beautiful and the festivities did not interfere with our stay. The Staff is EXCELLENT and can not make you more comfortable. they are on top of everything. there is a list of activities that you can option and afternoon tea and scones, wine tasting, nutrition classes are free but you have to pay for exercise classes

Room Tip: If you book a villa, try to get one closer to the main building. We were in the 400's. Ask to...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Msmouse1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Groton, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

The spa at Norwich Inn has the most relaxing atmosphere and friendliest helpful staff. I've never been disappointed with the spa, the staff or the restaurant. I live in the area and visit the spa as often as possible. My husband purchases gift cards to give me at the holidays and it is my favorite present!!

Prices for the spa and treatments are in line with the service you receive.

There have been recent renovations to the indoor pool area and they've added more outdoor sitting areas with chaise lounges and umbrellaed tables and chairs. You can enjoy the sun even on a cooler day.

Because I live nearby, I've never needed to stay overnight so I have no knowledge of the accomodations, and although the place is "old" I can't imagine that they'd not keep it up to date.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank KathCT
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

I love this inn and have stayed in the main inn and the villas. The villas are private and spacious but you do have to walk or drive to the main inn for meals, spa, cocktail...... so depending on the weather and your preferences, this is nice option. Travel Sunday Thursday and ASK for any discounts or specials / upgrades. Convenient to casinos but so opposite so nice to go back somewhere quiet after noisy, smoky casino.

Food amazing and wonderful martinis!

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank dahm
Wakefield, RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Inn. Keep in mind that this has been an Inn since 1929. It is both historic and lovely. We had a mini suite with very nice furniture. There was a living room area with a TV and a bedroom with a king sized bed and another TV. The bathroom was large and very clean. The staff was extremely helpful and pleasant. The meals were delicious. My compliments to Chef Justin. The spa area was well equipped, clean and offers a full range of services. Thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing. In addition there is a large exercise room, yoga and Zumba classes and both indoor and outdoor swimming pools. I look forward to my next visit to the Inn.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Matunuckgal
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

The Norwich Inn and Spa was a wonderful getaway... went with two friends for a spa day and stayed over. Room was comfortable, large (ask for a country suite) and grounds were lovely to walk in the early morning. Very convenient to Mohegan Sun casino, we went several times to enjoy their restaurants and Wednesday Wine night. we got a discount wtih a Travel Zoo special deal and if I see that deal again I am grabbing it!!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank DeeRayT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Do not stay in the villas. My friend and I drove over three hours and ended up leaving. The first villa was under construction on the outside and the inside had very strong unpleasant fumes from the varnish and paint. The next villa that they showed us smelled like rotten food or a dead animal. They should not have offered either of these accommodations. The gentleman at the reception desk refunded our deposit and said that he was sorry that he couldn't offer us a room in the main inn perhaps those accommodations are nicer. I had stayed here several times before but several years ago. It is too bad that they haven't kept the place up. For $350 a night you should have a nice room.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Nicky125
Meriden, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I have been to this spa 6 times over the last handful of years, including in August of 2013. I see a lot of good reviews here, but a few bad ones. It has been about 8 years since I stayed in the Inn, but I can say that, when I did, it was delightful.

As far as the spa, I have been to many, and this one is first rate. From the minute you drive up and park your car, there is a little pond outside with flowers and outdoor seating. The lobby is adorable, with a piano and the pub right there. They recently renovated, so the main area near the juice bar has been redecorated. It looks very nice. I had frozen yogurt and a smoothie at the juice bar. Both were fantastic, and the young lady who waited on me could not have been nicer or more helpful.

If you haven't been there a bunch of times, everyone who comes to the spa gets a tour. There is a nice indoor heated pool.. many of the treatment rooms are off of this area. There used to be a fence around the pool, but they have removed that. It looks even nicer now. There are plants, nice areas to sit, and skylights throoughout.

There is a phenomenal gym (way nicer than any hotel gym, it has top of the line cardio, weight, and stretching equipment, tvs, headphones, water, free weights, and a trainer there in case you want help or personal training. Everything is clean. There is also a studio for fitness classes. I have never taken one. They also do water aerobics in the pool.

There are several outdoor areas. One is more of a deck off of the pool area, with lounge chairs, chairs and tables with umbrellas. The other is more of a garden, with a variety of spots to sit in the shade and sun. This is a very nicely landscaped area.

There is also a relaxation room. No other spa I have been to has one like this. There are these extremely comfy lounge chairs with blankets, it is dark and quiet, and there is spa music. It is fantastic.

The locker room itself-you are offered a robe and sandals when you arrive, and they are yours to use for the day. The spa is open till 9 pm so if you have a lot of treatments, you can enjoy the facilities after. There is a jacuzzi, which is a decent size and is alwyas clean. There is a skylight above it. It is heaven. There is a steam room and a sauna, and washcloths in ice water to cool off with when you come out.
The showers are nice, with a changing area outside of each one, and complimentary shower gel, shampoo, and conditioner. There is a decent vanity area with complimentary lotion, hair products, everything you can think of! It is all clean, all the time. There are constantly employees tidying up, replacing towels, etc.

On this trip, I had a body polish. They have you lie under a vichy (sp?) shower, with a towel covering your private areas, and they exfoliate you, wash you off, and then put a nice heavy lotion on you that smells heavenly. Is is all very professional and comfortable. I highly recommend this. I also had an expres facial, which was fantastic. I have had massages other times I have visited as well. I would not say the pedicure is anything beyond a normal pedicure, not that there is anything wrong with it, I just dont think any pedicure is worth $65 or more.

I chose to have lunch at Ascot's Pub becuase I was alone, but I was allowed to order from their menu or the Kensingson's (Restaurant) menu. You can eat in either location in your robe, and I did. My waitress was very nice. They give out these free bagel chips with some kind of delicious spread. I had a scallop salad, which was fantastic. Calorie information is provided (good or bad) for everything on the menu. I can say from previous trips that Kensington's is also very nice for meals, and if the weather is nice, they will seat you outside. It is very nice.

Tips are included in the fee you pay, so you dont have to worry about that or carry any money around, everything can be charged to your final bill.

They charge a fee of something like $22 just to use the spa, but I personally think it is worth it. As the soap and shampoo dispensers say, "Arrive in pieces, leave whole" -or something like that. It is absolutely true. It is a very nice, relaxing place. I have never talked to anyone on the phone or in person who was not extremely helpful and nice.

Room Tip: Rooms are not very big, so there isnt a ton of empty floor space, but I think it is adequate. If y...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Kim S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
Mohegan Sun
The Fox Tower at Foxwoods
#1 of 4 in Mashantucket
4.0 of 5 stars 1,239 reviews
Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa

Been to The Spa at Norwich Inn? Share your experiences!