“Lovely 40th Birthday celebration!” 5 of 5 stars

The Spa at Norwich Inn
3.5 of 5 Spa   |   607 West Thames Street, Norwich, CT 06360   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Norwich
Long Island, NY
“Lovely 40th Birthday celebration!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

What a wonderful 3 days! My girlfriends and I spent 3 days 2 nights at the inn and booked the personal escape package. We stayed in a villa, and the room was beautiful.

• Liked — Spa treatments
  • Disliked — All was terrific!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank tripletsplusonemore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Northern NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

Very disappointing experience. Went for an overnight w/ friend to get away from the kiddies. Perhaps I've been spoiled by other more professional spa/hotels but found Norwich to be almost like a McDonalds of spas. We went during Mother's Day weekend and it was extremely overcrowded. You could barely get to your locker to change your clothes. Too many loud mouth people talking openly about their lives in the steam rooms and jacuzzis. People come to spas to get away and relax not to fight for some peace and quiet. Upon check-in, there was nobody to greet us at the valet, nobody to take our bags and the reservation desk was unprofessional and bordering on rude. I would not recommend... look elsewhere for a weekend spa getaway.

• Liked — Yoga Class
  • Disliked — Overcrowded
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2008

Just returned from the Norwich Inn. I have been to many destination spas and have seen this one in my travel books and have always wanted to check it out. My boyfriend and I were looking for a relaxing weekend, and also celebrating my birthday. We booked a villa (the Inn was fully booked), When we arrived I found the staff very polite and made us feel very welcome, in fact 99% of the staff was that way during our entire stay.
The villa was not my style, I realize it is an Inn so I can not complain about decorating, but beyond that the villa needed renovations in the worst way. The bathroom, and carpet throughout was very old, the bedding, and much everything else needed an overhaul.
The fireplace was a nice touch and we did light it both nights we were there.
The food at the Inn was pretty good; we ate there for a few meals, and breakfast both mornings in the Villa. The service was FAST, they were knocking at the door within 10 minutes of ordering!
My boyfriend and I loved the breakdown on the menus of calories, fat, carbs, etc. Wish they had that on all menus when eating out. The soups were fantastic. We had two different ones and they were great. The Shrimp cocktail was really good and the veggie wrap was yummy. One complaint the Pita bread that came with the hummus appetizer was like rubber, could not chew it at all. All and all I think the food was above average. But again dirty water glasses were expensive wine glasses which were nice, but covered in water spots.
The meditation room looked relaxing; I did not see it till our last day so did not get to try it. This made me realize I was never given a tour of the facilities which would have been a nice touch upon arrival ( at least the offering) for overnight guests to know what was available to them without hunting around.
I had 4 spa treatments while I was at the Inn. All were good, nothing amazing but again the staff was great. The gym was in good shape, they had good equipment, and some pieces were outdated and probably should be removed. The locker room area was a dirty. It looked like they were renovating some areas but the sauna had mold in it and the steam room and showers had a slimy feel to them. The carpeted areas needed help and the products (Shampoo, Lotions etc) were no name cheap products. I have been to MANY Spas and usually the products in the locker room are great and make you want to buy and take them home. ( you would think they would want to make the money) I realize any time you have water around, hot tubs etc. it is very hard to keep clean and not end up with mold. I think they need to constantly clean these areas. The sitting areas had mold in the windowsills, and seeing that makes you feel like walking around in a robe might not be a great idea.
We went to the casino Saturday and that was fun, the spa is very close by. One therapist told me Foxwoods owns the spa, which having been to Foxwoods spa seems strange. Foxwoods is much cleaner and more inviting.
I doubt we will be back; the price was about $1,500 for two nights including the 4 treatments and breakfast. I travel to NYC and go to the best spas for the same price for a weekend. This was not worth it. If they renovate and put a spa manager in place to keep up on the spa I think it would be great. I was sad that it was not what I expected since it is close to us (1 hour) and I love spas. They should not skimp when they are charging that much a night. Renovate PLEASE!!!!! Spas should not be dirty!

• Liked — The Soup....
  • Disliked — Dirty everywhere you looked....
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dmprin
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2007

I checked into the Spa last Friday night at 11:30 pm for a relaxing weekend stay with my wife. Immediately upon entering my villa I smelled mold/mildew. Within a few minutes I was sneezing and having a reaction to the mold. I then went to the bathroom and noticed the floor was filthy. I looked closely at the walls in the villa and noticed wet spots and areas of sheetrock that were crumbling. I called the front desk and requested a different room. I was moved to another villa that was no better. It was 12:30 am when I decided it was too late to find another place and we ultimately went to bed. We were totally disgusted by the room and went to the front desk early the next morning having barely slept. I was advised there was no manager on duty until 2:00 pm and the desk attendant did not seem at all surprised when I recounted the overall experience. I checked out, went to the Mystic Marriot/ Red Door Spa and for $100 less a night was very satisfied. One final note. From the perspective of public perception, it does not make sense to have the three people behind the front desk each way in excess of 250 pounds. One does not immediately think of health and well being with such a first impression!

• Liked — seeing it in my rear view mirror
  • Disliked — filthy, moldy room
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MGJersey
Marblehead
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2007

After reading many bad reviews for this property before our visit, I felt compelled to write after returning from a relaxing, wonderful weekend. Perhaps our visit was more positive than others since we stayed at a villa rather than the hotel. We found our villa to be very comfortable & spacious with a murphy bed & sofa bed in the living area plus a queen bed & 2nd bathroom in the loft. We loved the fireplace and full kitchen complete with dishwasher. Although we never ate at any of the restaurants (Kensingtons was very pricey)on the property, we did order takeout to be delivered from the pub because we found sitting in front of the fireplace at our villa so relaxing. The food was fine although probably not great. We enjoyed the tea & scones which were replenished while we were there unlike other reports.

At the spa we combined opportunities for exercise (yoga, fitness center & indoor pool) with spa treatments(1 facial & 3 massages) and relaxing in the whirpool, steam room & relaxation room. My deep tissue massage with Ken was fantastic and 2 of my daughters thought their facial & massage were also very good. One found her massage not as good as others she has had. I also did not feel it was crowded like other reviewers had reported.

The staff were all very courteous & helpful. Upon request we had wood & extra blankets delivered promptly.They even offered to pick us up & drive us to the spa & hotel which were in another building.

We did leave for part of the day on Sat and enjoyed a drive to Mystic where we had a deilicious lunch at Azu & did a litlle shopping. We all agreed it was a very relaxing week-end that gave a Mom & three daughters the opportunity to spend some quality time together.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2007

Spent two nights at the Norwich Spa and Inn for a wedding. The rooms were TINY! And for nearly $300 a night, not worth it. Both breakfast and lunch were really pricey, took forever to get served, and weren't very tasty. I don't appreciate paying $9 for a bowl of instant oatmeal. The two spa treatments I had were very nice, though even those cost more than they should. The inn itself is lovely, though it's strange to have so many folks in robes during a wedding reception. The wedding service was quite good, except for the part where the staff barged down the aisle before the guests were out of the ceremony so they could "turn the room". I found that unacceptable given the four other entrances. All in all, I would tell people to avoid the massive expense and stay someplace better.

• Liked — The spa
  • Disliked — The price
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
nyc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

Why didn't I check the prior reviews before booking a stay at this place ! And to make matter worse I see in the reviews that the comfort Inn at 130 a night has a HIGHER review ! Anyway the entire place is a disaster. Rudeness, no sense of elegance, basically a 'cattle call' mentality. NEXT NEXT NEXT . Thats just the spa . The rooms are a disaster as well. Poor, cheap, not fresh bedding and the baths !!!! UGGGGGGGGG . Ended up eating most of my meals away from the Inn ( like many others here I now see ) . No Luxury,NONE

• Stayed August 2007
2 Thank kentny
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
Mohegan Sun
The Fox Tower at Foxwoods
#1 of 4 in Mashantucket
4.0 of 5 stars 1,239 reviews
Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa

Been to The Spa at Norwich Inn? Share your experiences!