“Sorry, won't be back.”

The Spa at Norwich Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed here as we were attending a wedding. We we arrived, the girl who checked us was not vey accommodating. After traveling for 5 hours and running late, my husband left his wallet in he car. She had the reservation and the credit card number but would give us our keys till we went back out to the car to get the wallet, which by the way was parked quite a distance from the entrance. It's not like we were going anywhere. We were there for a wedding! The line was getting longer and she wouldn't help anyone else while waiting.

The wedding was nice, the food was good.

The room was nice, the bathroom a little, no a lot outdated with no place for "stuff". The bed was comfortable, but the pillows were too fat. Didn't go to the spa. For the money, I expected more. Sorry.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Spa at Norwich Inn

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Everyone at the Spa at Norwich was so friendly. Everything that you have wanted would be yours. The stay was enjoyable and will be going back. I would say to anyone go, you will not reget it. The room was clean and the bed was so soft and felt soooooo good. Staff was so friendly and helpful. Spa was really nice and had everythig that you culd want. Were talking to staff at the spa and said that I like the plans at the inn, they toldme palces to go for plans and even gave me map pn how to get there. Food was very good. But a little expensive but you want good food and served at it best.

Room Tip: My room was great. Have nothing bad to say about it
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Upon check in you are warmly greeted by a staff that truly appreciates your business. A concierge offered a ride to our suite plus if we wanted a fire they would gladly send someone up to get it going. The suite itself was unbelievable,full kitchen,pull out coach a pair of easy chairs and a coffee table plus of course a king bed as requested. A pair of doors opened out with a small deck overlooking a small brooke. I wished that we had the opportunity to avail ourselves of the many spa options but we had concert tickets to Mohegan Sun (a mere five minute ride away ).
I certainly will return when I can spend more time at this property

Room Tip: Ask for a villa suite in the rear of the property as they overlook the brooke
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2013

If I were rating based on the facility, it would be 5-star. The grounds are fabulous, the look is upscale, and the spa services (I had the Signature Massage) were top-rate.

However, I expected the guest service to be commensurate with the expensive prices. They weren't. The staff was, for the most part, impassive and disinterested. In checking into the spa locker room, I was not given any instructions on using the locker and it turned out, my assigned locker was given to someone else. It took nearly 10 minutes to resolve the issue, forcing me to be late for my massage.

More problematically, the promised two-minute checkout time turned into 45 minutes. Our billing (there were four of us) was all wrong. The spa services -- which we assumed included gratuity and taxes, since the rest of the package did -- actually did not, and we were never told. A $65 pedicure -- which is already overpriced -- became a $94 pedicure, which is obscenely overpriced for 50 minutes. The front desk never apologized for the wait or even flashed a smile at us.

When we checked in -- on a bright sunny day -- we asked about outdoor dining. We were, instead, directed to their indoor restaurant. Only later did we discover there was a spa menu that was, indeed, outdoors. The staff (with a few exceptions) did nothing to make us feel welcome or valued.

What a shame. This facility has a lot going for it but they need to do some serious training for their staff.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jill S
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I really don't know what to make of this place. The entire experience was like Jekyll and Hyde.

The good: The grounds are incredible. Very well maintained and it definitely looks like an upscale hotel from the outside. My fiance used the spa and raved about her deep tissue massage, even though it was horrifically overpriced for a 50-minute massage ($171). According to her, the spa facility was beautiful and well-equipped with a nice pool area and locker room. I didn't see it myself, but I'll take her word for it. The only experience I had with the spa was when we booked the massage the night before. The girl at the spa desk was so rude -- we walked in and she was texting, looked up and had no information about anything. We asked her what the difference in massages was and she couldn't answer us. She also couldn't give me an accurate price and didn't know what I meant when I asked her not to bill the room. The girl at the desk during checkout was very nice. The food was pretty good, if overpriced. Free wi-fi.

The bad: Pretentious, pretentious, pretentious. From the attitudes of the staff, the 19% gratuity included on everything, down to the menu at the restaurants. When we arrived, we were greeted by a friendly British (I think) concierge. That's more or less where the pleasantries ended. The man who checked us in was extremely rude; he almost seemed bothered by me interrupting him at 9PM. I asked him how much the hold would be and he answered, "why, is this a bad credit card?". Really? WTF kind of response is that? I asked him if they had vending machines and he laughed and said no. Turns out they do in fact have vending machines, which another rude man alerted me of after saying "vending machines are for guests only" with his nose up. Without so much as asking me if I was a guest. The bartender seemed like a nice guy, except he literally didn't say a word while I was at the bar. It was pretty awkward sitting there in silence after trying to engage him in conversation a few times. Oh, and the room. My God, the room. The beds are rock hard and so are the pillows. The room needs to be modernized. The TV didn't work. The temperature control is an unmitigated disaster -- it's either super hot or freezing. We went to dinner at the Ascot Pub because Kensington's was booked and waited over an hour for our food even though there was only one other couple in the pub.

The gratuity of 19% is absurd. If you're going to charge that much, at least EARN it. Isn't that the point of gratuity? If you're guaranteed a good tip, what incentive do you have to actually work for it? Honestly, no one I dealt with earned a 19% tip, with the exception of the concierge the night we arrived. This guaranteed gratuity is probably the chief reason why everyone at this hotel has a terrible attitude.

More bad: Of all of the things that went wrong, the thing I didn't understand one bit was the design of the shower in the room. It was literally facing the wrong way. The tub was horizontal with the shower head in the middle facing the curtain. This resulted in bathroom flooding every time we used the shower. Not like a-little-water-on-the-floor flooding. I mean full out, Noah's Ark flooding. We probably went through 10 towels in two days just on the floor. We called down to ask what we should do and the front desk said "pull the curtain in". Once again, an example of the bad attitudes by the hotel staff here.

For the money we paid, I'll never stay here again. The whole atmosphere just sucked. Most of these good reviews are people who just said the hotel was "pretty", which it certainly was. Unless your nose-in-the-air high-class, you won't enjoy this place.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Dean P
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed here one night and not for spa purposes. If I had time the next morning I would've gone for a much needed massage after sleeping on their rock pillows. First of all I thought this place was top notch. I was greeted at the front desk to check in by a girl chewing gum while she spoke and answered yeah instead of yes to my questions. I also asked about switching my room and was cut off before I could finish with a big no. Because this place is owned by Foxwoods they only have transportation to and from there. None is available to Mohegan and you can see it from the front door. I also was told by the gum chewer that cab fare would be about $15-20 to go to Mohegan and it was $6.00. On a more positive note, the room and bathroom were clean.

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank Dierdraw
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I have stayed here a couple of times and have never had any real issues. Both time I booked a "villa" so I can only speak for that "room". Frankly it is more like a furnished one bedroom apartment. Full kitchen, living room and bedroom. A deck. Very quiet. The only knock is that the decor, carpets and furniture are dated and a little worn in some cases. Less than a mile to Mohegan Sun. The spa is very good and the massage was average to good. I did not dine there or use their bar.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Uncasville
The Fox Tower at Foxwoods
The Fox Tower at Foxwoods
#1 of 4 in Mashantucket

Been to The Spa at Norwich Inn? Share your experiences!