“Most relaxing, pampering and renewing”

The Spa at Norwich Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Norwich
providence
“Most relaxing, pampering and renewing”
Reviewed January 18, 2012

From the tranquil, country setting to the lovely historic inn, this was a wonderful stay. I spent two nights in December. I stayed in one of the inn rooms, which is located within the same building as all spa areas and treatments. It was very comfy, with no frills, however had a wonderful view. The yoga classes were so helpful, I can't say enough about the very competent instructors. The spa facilities are perfect and include everything, from robes to lotion! Everything is absolutely spotless! My facial was so relaxing and made me look 10 years younger! I was a bit dissatisfied with my manicure, seemed a bit rushed and a tiny bit sloppy. All in all, I cannot wait to return!!

Room Tip: If you are planning to frequent the spa, classes and treatments, stay in the inn as all spa faciliti...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank paulasw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Chappaqua, New York
Reviewed January 14, 2012

My daughter purchased a one night Rejuvenation Package for the two of us as a Christmas gift to me. The staff are very nice and friendly. The Inn was very quiet and only a handful of guests were overnighters. Our room was tired, worn, and in bad shape. All of the furniture was nicked and chipped, the carpeting smelled, and the bathroom looked like the bathroom my husband and I shared in our first apartment in 1983. If you have so many rooms empty, why oh why would you give anyone your worst rooms? Or, was our room their best? Why not upgrade your 10 or 15 guests to your best rooms and make them feel great about your Inn? I will never understand that diss. All of the inn's magazines are either Connecticut Bridal or Connecticut "things to do". Cheap. My daughter could not wait for "Tea & Scones" from 3pm - 4:30. When we arrived at 3:05, we were the only guests and there were no scones, just tea. At 3:15, a waiter came by and nonchalantly said that the scones were coming soon. No apologies. We waited and waited. They finally came at 3:30. Not nice. I walked to the kitchen area of the restaurant just after a yoga class (which was great) hoping for a cup of coffee. They had just put away the complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby, so I figured that the kitchen might have some left over. The hostess at the restaurant said that there was quite a bit left over from the lobby set-up and she'd be happy to give me a cup. She said that she'd be right back with the coffee, cream and the check. I asked her if she was really going to charge me for coffee that was just complimentary. She said that it was complimentary, but not anymore. I told her to forget it. It's little things like that that will make guests not want to come back to a hotel or restaurant. Dinner was great and the food and service were good. The spa is old and they are very set in the ways that they do everything. My pedicure was average and my daughter said that her massage was just OK. I did have a sensational, truly caring facial from Jen and if the whole Inn experience could have been more like Jen and her personality, I would have given it another star. The staff seem to have a set way of doing everything and they cannot accommodate deviating from their ways. I would not go back to this Inn. The place is old, tired and the staff is cheap and inflexible.

Room Tip: There are none.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Barbiemom58
TimKenyon, Guest Relations Manager at The Spa at Norwich Inn, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Excellent customer service mostly consists of a positive attitude and common sense, so it is always very embarrassing to see negative comments such as yours. Your review includes what would appear to be small service issues by themselves, but put together really add up to a big dissappointment on how you were treated as a guest here. Please accept my sincere apologies for those service failures and know that this is not a true reflection of how we value our guests at The Spa @ Norwich Inn.
I will distribute your comments to pertinent staff, along with completed surveys we email to our guests after their visit (that we review each week). If you are open to contacting me directly, I would be happy to discuss the details of your visit and provide you with a complimentary upgrade on your next stay. It would be my pleasure to personally ensure we exceed your expectations.
Best regards,
Tim Kenyon, Director of Hotel Operations
Northford, Connecticut
Reviewed January 13, 2012

I have been to the Norwich Inn and Spa 6 times in 4 years. I absolutely love it. I have stayed in the Hotel 3 times. During those times, I have had excellent customer service. They allowed me to check in very early each time that I stayed there. The rooms at the Inn are wonderful, clean, and have all the amenities that I want.
I mainly come for a spa retreat. I come there stressed out, and feel instantly relaxed when I get there. The staff is always polite and helpful. They go overboard trying to accomodate anything that you may need. Most of my treatments at the spa that I received were massages. They are ALWAYS excellent. I also had a facial and rose petal pedicure, and they left me feeling like a queen.

If you want to have a wonderful relaxing spa retreat that makes you feel like you are are a special person, than this is the place for you.

Room Tip: If you want wifi, stay in the Inn rooms. The villas do not offer wifi
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I was looking through Inns to stay at for my Anniversary in February. I looked on like and checked for prices. Somehow a charge was made on my credit card for a Reservation for the month of September, which is still a mystery. When I called them to tell them this, they were so unapologetic and just play rude. I couldn't understand their attitude, all they had to do was cancel the reservation. The lady proceeded to give me a speech on how there is no way the web could've gotten my information blah, blah with such attitude. I was in shock. Naturally my anniversary will not be spent there. These people did not sound like the friendly peaceful staff I was looking for in a vacation!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maria O
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Hello All,

As avid travelers my husband and I have yet to leave a negative review on trip advisor but I feel like it is an obligation of mine as a friendly human being to warn others of this experience. We usually stay at 4 and 5 star hotels all over the world and are uses to the finer experiences in life. We live in NYC and often retreat to little bed and breakfast for a quick break from the city. I pulled this place up online quickly one afternoon - saw "great" reviews and thought it would be a good spa getaway for us. I envisioned it like some of the gorgeous bed and breakfast we have stayed in in lambertville NJ such as Chimney Hill Estates...

The room was $350 per night plus tax. We are used to paying up to $500 per night in NJ so this was not so alarming. We expected to have a gorgeous little old room with charm for this price. Words cannot describe how wrong we were.

Let me start from the beginning. When I booked the room I inquired about a special I saw online that included free spa services. The reservationist informed me that that special did not apply on the weekends but a special that she could honor was one that included free breakfast with our room rate. We stayed one night in one of the more expensive rooms and we were totally floored when we walked in to see the room we were paying for. It was so old and outdated it's not even funny. Not old in a cute bed and breakfast way either. Old like 1970's appliances and furniture that had not been changed. The room smelled funny likely because the bad carpet had not been changed since the 70's as well. This felt more like a motel. It was heartbreaking as we have yet to have this kind of bad luck in booking a place and it was my husbands birthday. As we are positive people with a good sense of humor we decided just to stay the night (instead of driving the 2.5 hour trip back home) and pretend like we were camping and make the most out of it.

We had massages scheduled already in advance so we went. My husband was really freaked out by how old the facilities were. He found his massage to be OK and I found mine to be above average. My therapist was really nice I have no complaints about that.

We went out to dinner as I had already read the horrible reviews on yelp with regards to their in house dining options. I came back to the room that evening to take the coldest shower of my life. The shower in our room did not work as when you turn the water on the tub runs as well which causes the water to get cold very quickly. It was the dead of winter. I took the coldest shower of my life and I paid a small fortune for it.

When the morning came I called ahead to check out and I asked the front desk if our complimentary breakfast was continental or if we could order from the menu. The gentleman said we could order from the menu. We ate breakfast and checked out (though we did not order from the menu anyhow as we were in a rush) and a waitress came running after us with the check saying that breakfast was not included in our room rate. I went back to the front desk and the man said that they had no such special and that breakfast was not included. I informed him of what we were told in booking the reservation and that from a client service perspective he needed to honor it. He did but was not apologetic or kind about it - he was really rude about it. It was such a bad experience to have a waitress and security chasing after us after we had paid 650 for a night to stay in a room that was surprisingly out dated and smelled funny. We were really disappointed to say the least. We were looking forward to a romantic little getaway and instead we had an experience that we just want to forget. My husband still teases me about it and tells me that from now on - he books our getaways.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Jazz D
Please accept my sincere aplogies for any misunderstanding or error on our part pertaining to breakfast as well as your disappointment with regards to your accommodations. While we have completed several updates in recent years, the villas are a more relaxed décor in contrast to the more formal hotel décor of the Inn rooms. That being said, there is certainly no excuse for room that does not smell fresh and have everything in good working order!
Thank you for your feedback and I encourage you to contact us directly in hopes of an opportunity for a future visit and to address your specific guest room & service issues in more detail.
Best,
Tim Kenyon, Director of Hotel Operations
Carlton, Minnesota
Reviewed January 2, 2012

The villa we stayed in needed to be totally gutted and re-done. It was horrible. For all the luxury of the main building and it's decor, the villa is the complete opposite. From holes in the furniture coverings, to scratched coffee table and dresser, rotting walls in the bathroom, old fashioned televisions (one of which did not work), no plug in the tub drain, bathroom with a tub shower combo which was so tiny you had to back in to walk out, patio windows so dirty you could not see out of them, dirty grout on the tile, rusted out entry doors, and pillows so hard they gave you a sore neck. That being said the food there is very very good, but very very expensive, $42 for breakfast for 2. Stay somewhere else, this place is not worth it.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms in the villas.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Arundel, Maine
Reviewed December 14, 2011

We stayed during Thanksgiving week. It was a great half way spot for us since we were travelling to NYC. Our only regret is that we didn't have more time to discover all of what this property has to offer. The Villa that we stayed in was absolutely awesome. It was very clean and had everything you needed. The fireplace was a great touch but we couldn't get the fire going. The Front desk and valets were very friendly and we really enjoyed Tim Kenyon who is their Director of Hotel Operations. He was very professional and very personable. We can't wait to return there in the future and will certainly book services in the Spa.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 2tabgals
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
The Fox Tower at Foxwoods
The Fox Tower at Foxwoods
#1 of 4 in Mashantucket
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Uncasville

Been to The Spa at Norwich Inn? Share your experiences!