“Nickel & Dime... be wary of mystery charges on debit/credit card”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Norwalk
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Norwalk
Reviewed January 18, 2010

I gave the front desk my debit card upon checking in which I know is standard for most hotels. What I didn't realize until looking at my bank statement is that the hotel charged me $25 a day for "incidentals". My stay was two days. $50!!!! I later learned the funds will return to my account. That's not the point. I prepaid for my hotel stay and nowhere did it mention on the doubletree website about additional charges for "incidentals". Plus, as I'm checking out, the hotel charged me $66.60 which I am about to dispute. Again, my reservation was PREPAID... PAID IN FULL. So these additional/ mystery charges have put a damper on an otherwise pretty decent weekend. I will not be staying at a hotel where you are nickel and dimed. If you stay here, please check your bank statements carefully. I had a restful weekend but why do I feel violated by their tactics?

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
JanuaryatDoubletree, Customer Advocate at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Norwalk, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2010

Thank you for bringing to our attention your experience with using your Debit card. Our goal is to be as informative as possible. Than you for letting us know improvement is needed in this area.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Norwalk

Reviewed December 4, 2009

I can't stand 'greenwashing', when companies spend millions to tell Americans how they're helping to save the world but in reality doing nothing. Like most hotels these days, they had signs saying they save water by not taking any towels you hang up and they had recycling bins. But in three days there, they took all my towels every day and the recycling and trash all went into one place: the garbage.

On top of that, I left some running shoes in the hotel. I called to have them mailed to me....never returned my phone calls despite multiple messages.

Nice. Liars AND thieves. NO THANKS!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Tennesseine
JanuaryatDoubletree, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Norwalk, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2009

The Doubletree has joined the global effort to be more environmentally friendly. We remain committted to this cause and believe that even small changes can make a difference. As with any type of change, we are still working towards improving in this area and are confident that our guests and associates working together will over time make a difference. We appreciate your comments, and will continue to strive for excellence in this important area.

Reviewed November 21, 2009

Just stayed two nights. Nice room, very quiet. Last night, however, a pipe broke and sent water cascading down throughout the bar and restaurant. Later, I was having a glass of wine in the just reopened bar area and got to listen to a loud conversation between the "clean up company" guy and a rep from the hotel. Clean up guy quotes a $4000 price tag to do the clean up. Hotel rep balks and says "I just want the water cleaned up...how much?" Clean up guy: To do the job correctly $4000...to do what you want $1500."

This conversation played out in a public space with a few other people around. On the elevator rise up, the ladies riding with me noted that mold could certainly be an issue for this hotel in the future. I had to agree.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank mstephens7
JanuaryatDoubletree, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Norwalk, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to share your concern regarding a recent issue involving a pipe breaking that took place at the Doubletree. While unforseen circumstances do occur from time to time, we share your sense of urgency. Our management team, led by the hotel's General Manager reacted to the situation immediately. We are very sorry for the inconvenience associated with this event and would invite you to contact us directly should you wish to discuss further. We are grateful for your feedback as to how we could have better handled the situation and look forward to serving you again on your next visit to Norwalk. Thank you.

Reviewed October 6, 2009

Stayed 4 days - very convenient, friendly staff - comfortable rooms. Overall a very good value.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
JanuaryatDoubletree, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Norwalk, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We welcome guest feedback and are always interested in hearing about your experience. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Norwalk, CT.

Reviewed September 21, 2009

The room was very nice and the bed was super comfortable. They failed to help me after I left my hat in the room. I have called and left two messages with their lost and found. They have not called me back to help me with my hat. I finally did get to talk to a person and they stated they would call me back in 5 minutes, never returned my call at all.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2009

I have stayed here before and that is why I came back but this time it was terrible. We came for the shuttle service which takes you 6miles anywhere you want but they mixed are times up and we had to wait 40 minutes and then they stranded us! The driver went home and they told us to get a taxi back. They finally found someone to get us after 90 minutes. Then the next day they were again 90 minutes late picking us up. They took no blame in any of this. Our ice maker was broke so we rented a refrig. for $10 and it froze all our drinks. The heater in the room smelled like it was burning when we turned it on and it set off the fire alarm. The internet was very very slow. Then to top it all off the day we left they were shutting off the power to the whole building for a couple hours for construction outside and we didn't know it so we missed the elevator and had to take all our stuff down the stairs which smell like urine!!!! Good things were the fitness center and the open 24 hour heated pool.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2009

The Doubletree Norwalk continues to impress us, even after 3 visits. It had newly renovated, and the lobby and breakfast area are very modern. The beds are typical Hilton Family beds, which I find very comfortable, so because it is so quiet, I had the most relaxing sleep of my life! It is also conveniently located 5 minutes from I-95, and near a lot of shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwalk
Hilton Garden Inn Norwalk
Hotel Zero Degrees Norwalk
Hyatt Regency Greenwich
Hyatt Regency Greenwich
#1 of 1 in Old Greenwich

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Norwalk? Share your experiences!