“Solidly good bar food, good price for neighborhood”
Review of Donovan's

Donovan's
Ranked #33 of 445 Restaurants in Norwalk
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed December 30, 2013

After an afternoon at the Maritime Aquarium, my wife and I looked for dinner. We wandered around and found most of the places in SoNo were too trendy (read expensive) for our taste, since we were looking for basic food that day.

Hadn't read anything about Donovan's but the prices seemed reasonable, especially with 10% off with our Aquarium receipt.

The service was friendly and very fast. We had the shepherd's pie and the fish and chips. Both were tasty and as expected. The draft beer selection was adequate.

Having read about it since we look forward to our next visit for chowder, burgers, and a better look at the decor and historic artifacts (did notice the tin ceiling).

The lack of color in this review should not imply mediocrity, only that it was good and nothing remarkable happened. (My negative reviews are more emotional.)

Reviewed December 22, 2013

We visited Donovan's this weekend and we thought it was amazing. Our waitress was friendly. The food was good, too. We ordered 8 buffalo chicken wings, and they were great. Then, the main courses came out. I ordered Donovan's Famous Hamburger, and it was great! My sister ordered the Macaroni and Cheese, and she liked it. My parents each enjoyed their sandwiches.

A few more positive notes: They have multiple televisions so that you could watch current NFL games, so that's always good. Also, they had the restaurant decorated for Christmas. The bathrooms are clean, and this is an always go to. Enjoy!!

1  Thank TripFriendly191
Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

The menu says it all... Just a local "pub" ! The "well drinks" and bar wine are mediocre at best. Actually the that is being generous... the bar wine is poor, even according to the staff, but they did let us send it back cheerfully. The food is just OK but the menu is well priced for what you get. Staff is friendly and service quick. If you want a special night out go elsewhere. If you want a beer and a quick dinner this will probably work for you.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Although the crab cakes and burgers at Donovan's were good, their chicken tenders tasted like they were in the freezer and then tossed into the deep frier for a minute. The tenders were also dry, bland, and the breading was crumbly. On the other hand, the crab cake and burger were very juicy and tasted like real meat. Also, the honey mustard at Donovan's tasted like two-week old shoe polish. For me, Donovan's was not a do again place. Certain dishes are good, others, not so much.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Don't tell anyone, but I love this place. I want you to STAY OUT because it's often packed, so if you just stay away, I'll have more space to myself. Unless you are really quiet (Donovan's gets noisy) or a old-tyme boxer (the walls have the best collection of antique boxing photos on this side of the Atlantic) or unless you are really cool, in which case I'll buy you a drink, old pal.