“Fresh from the Sound to your plate”

Sono Seaport Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #39 of 431 Restaurants in Norwalk
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I go here for the fresh local clams and oysters -- caught in Long Island Sound by Norwalk's own shell fishermen. The restaurant has a lot on the menu, so I'm not surprised to see such a wide range of opinions on the food, but to me, the main reason for going is for fresh clams and oysters, and sitting outside on the deck, sipping cocktails on a summer day.

When we went earlier this summer, my wife and I shared an order of clams and oysters on the half shell served with lemon wedges and cocktail sauce. They were perfect: fresh and tangy and refreshing. I also had fried clams, served with tartar sauce and lemon, and they were just how I like them. Other members of our group had fried shrimp and a lobster pot pie, and they enjoyed their meals too.

1  Thank TonyinCT

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Ok seafood weak nock off of Cape Cod. Nothing is bad nothing is great. Outside deck is recommended faces Norwalk harbor

Reviewed June 21, 2013

I probably should have read some of the Trip Advisor Reviews before we went here. The restaurant was suggested by the hotel shuttle bus driver, he said the food was good. We tried to get in on a Saturday night and there was an hour and a half wait. Wow, I thought, this place must be great. We went back the next morning to make a reservation for Sunday night. the man at the front did us a "special" favour as they don't take reservations for less than 6 people. We got there at 6:30, and still had to wait about 20 minutes. It was a nice night and the view was nice so we didn't mind too much. The bar is mainly beer and wine, and a few very basic cocktails. They couldn't do a mojito, so I had to settle for a rum and coke. The food was very disappointing. I wanted a lobster roll, at 7:00 pm they were sold out. I heard some people at a nearby table try to order clams and they were sold out too. Come on, they have been around long enough to know what kind of food they need on a weekend. My husband and daughter ordered grouper. It was very fishy tasting and spongy and did not taste fresh. I ended up with a lobster salad sandwhich which was ok, served with a bag of Lays potato chips. The service was perfunctory at best. Very very disappointing!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We visited the SONO Seaport Seafood Inc, about a week ago. My GF and I with two kids. We had done a boat ride in Norwalk Harbor and passed by the restaurant on the way back. It appeared to be a kid friendly restaurant (if not the only one around) so we decided to give it a try. I was expecting a typical New England seaside fried fish style restaurant. We sat out on the patio which has picnic table style seating. The place was relatively busy, and even though there seemed to be enough wait staff, they seemed preoccupied. The first thing I noticed about the menu was the price. It seemed much more expensive than the decor would lead you to think. So I assumed the food might be plated in a more elegant fashion for the 25% to 30% price bloat. We ordered a couple Sodas and one beer. The soft drinks came in rather small Dixie cups and offered no complimentary refills. The Beer came in the same style small Dixie cup, and at over $5.00 that was awful. We ordered 2 chicken fingers with fries kids meals, the standard Fish & Chips Entree, and I myself ordered the Broiled Seafood Platter which listed (Scallops, Shrimp, & Fish), and at a price in the twenties, I was quite hopeful. The food arrived for the kids, it was a pretty typical fair, the chicken fingers were a bit over-fried, which is all to common these days with kids meals. Other than that the kids meals were pretty boring and standard. the adult entrees arrived served on cafeteria trays. The fish & chips was very ordinary, not a large portion, a little on the skimpy side for the price of $16.00. Now for my entree, the broiled fish platter boasting (Scallops, Shrimp, & Fish) with a baked potato and side of slaw. The first thing I noticed was how awful it looked! Oily, skimpy, and not what you would expect for the price. The fish turned out to be a tilapia filet, which I hope many of you know is an extremely cheap garbage fish. Which is way to prevalent in seafood menus since it costs next to nothing. The plate had a handful of bay scallops and 3 or 4 small shrimp. First off this claimed to be a broiled seafood platter, it wasn't broiled at all! It was clearly sauteed in oil, and way too much at that. It was coated in salt, pepper, and paprika It was tough, it tasted old, (especially the bay scallops which may have been on the threshold of being bad) The slaw came in a tiny little cup the size pills are dispensed at a hospital, it was sub standard. The only thing palatable was the baked potato, but unfortunately they only give you a couple small sealed butter patties, and one small sealed sour cream pat. I'm not by any means a super food snob, I enjoy a nice hidden gem or dive once in a while. This however was one of the worst meals I have had in YEARS! 2 kids meals, a fish & chips, and "Broiled platter", one beer and 3 sodas... They had the gall to charge me over $70-!!! We could have had taco bell for a quarter the price and I know it would have been at the very least better than this. I felt severely cheated, we all weren't satisfied. And how often do you see kids leave the fries on their plates completely undisturbed? How is it possible to have bad french fries? Well SONO Seaport Seafood Inc. found a way to do just that. They aren't interested in repeat business, they have more of the "eating out at a theme park" idea in mind. Where else can the patrons go? Charge whatever we want. There are tons of similar style restaurants all along I-95 in CT or New England for that matter, who make amazing classic new England seaside food, this place is an abomination. Please save your money, go elsewhere and avoid this place like the plague.

3  Thank Syndikated
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We go to a restaurant to get good food, right? In this place, the food was mediocre and way overpriced for what you receive!! We got the Broiled seafood platter and it was pathetic - few bay scallops (in the menu it said scallops, we were expecting large ones), few overcooked shrimp and small tilapia filet (the cheapest fish there is! menu just says fish) swimming on a plate in oil with some paprika seasoning (wasn’t broiled but sautéed). All for over $20. My daughter got chicken fingers with barbeque sauce - the sauce was pink! I tasted it and it was just awful. I am not sure what it was in that little plastic container but it definitely wasn't BBQ sauce. I told my daughter to stop eating it. The only good thing I can say about this place is that it is family friendly and sitting outside by the water was pleasant but taking everything into account, it was disappointing, expensive and I will not be going back there.