“Drive on by”

Dining options: Lunch
Connecticut
“Drive on by”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Looked like a great little place to grab a burger and a hot dog, wrong!! Our family had a little of everything...a burger, a salmon burger, fried shrimp, clam strips, hot dog and fries. Our waitress knew nothing about the menu. She could not tell us the difference between the basket or the meal ( meaning what came with them) and had to keep asking the cook for any ? we had!! The food was very poor!! Our fries looked like they were burnt but were extreamly soggy. My daughters fried shrimp were beyond burnt and she was not able to eat them!! I would stay away from Swanky Franks!!

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank ct44

Boston, MA
“Great hot dogs right off the Highway.”
Reviewed March 30, 2011

Found myself wandering off Exit 14, Route 95 in CT and stopped at Swanky Franks. This roadside stop has amazing, homemade food and great hot dogs. I suggest trying their red hots (grilled) with their homemade spicy mustard. They also make some of the best coney style chilli you'll ever have with layers of spices, best served on a fried original dog. Also of note is that the owners make different soups (first come first serve) and home made meat loaf for their sandwiches. If you are looking for a dive with some solid road food, hit this place up.

• Visited March 2011
1 Thank madmooch
Winfield, Illinois
“Oh My God is this place great better than I remember”
Reviewed July 17, 2010

This place brings back memories and is even better than I remembered as I had the dog with Chili, Kraut, and Bacon yesterday it was so good I had to go back again today and do it over again. I left Norwalk in the early 70's and I had not been for many years and evertime I stop back here it is better than before and I will probably be making a trip here tomorrow before I fly back to the midwest. The burgers with the poppyseed bun are next on my list and I wanted to have one today as it looked so great yesterday but the taste of the dog was too good. But I do not leave till tomorrow afternoon so i have one more day here!!

Don't Miss this place!!

MA
“Small, simple and super!”
Reviewed February 15, 2010

For those of you who are sick of stopping to refuel at McDonald's, Swanky Franks is a great alternative. First off, its been there for years. Second, the name of the place is Swanky Franks, so you should know what you are getting into. Any place that has "swanky" in the title is not likely to be, in fact, swanky, but will be good. Not surprisingly, it serves cheap hot dogs and hamburgers. As someone who is always in search of the next great roadside hot dog stand, can you really go wrong with a $2.50 hotdog on a grilled bun? NO! Is the building slightly run down? Yes. Is the food unhealthy? Yes. Is there a wide range of offerings on the menu? No. But what are people expecting when the place is called Swanky Franks? For those of you who don't like McDonald's etc. stop complaining and go to Swanky Franks!

Bradenton, Florida
“Not swanky... a small, run down diner with a very limited menu... nothing special”
Reviewed November 28, 2009

Even by diner standards, this place is very small and run down, although the outside has received a fresh coat of paint sometime during the last few years. Basically an enclosed roadside hot dog and hamburger stand with a few additional menu items including deep fried seafood, soup and sandwiches. Claim to fame is their “original” Franks hot dogs which are deep fried and can come with a wide range of optional add-ons (chili, bacon, cheese, etc.). So if you crave a deep-fried hot dog as you exit off soutrhbound I-95 (Exit 14) then maybe ignore the dilapidated external appearance and drop in. Deep fried seafood menu items are skimpy, tasteless and over priced. Standard diner service.

1 Thank SRQwanderer