“Poorly maintained”
Review of Courtyard Norwalk

Courtyard Norwalk
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Norwalk
Reviewed August 1, 2009

I've never filled out a comment card to send into the corporate office before staying at the Norwalk Courtyard. The rooms had light bulbs that were out, the hallways had light fixtures hanging off the ceiling, paint was flaking off in the bathroom, doors did not lock properly.... Not acceptable.

Breakfast was acceptable. The made to order eggs were a nice touch but slow to come out.

The pool was nice.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Norwalk

Reviewed April 12, 2009

This hotel was located in the business section of Norwalk,CT. So, it was conveniently located. This is a typical courtyard Marriott, except I found the cleaniness of my room left much to be desired. Also, the front desk was lax in taking care of the lobby. There was a very big group of people in the lobby on this particular evening, coffee cups by the coffee area was gone, freebies like candy was low in supply, and trash was overspilling from the trash cans. I told them about it, and the front desk acknowledged it, but wasn't quick to remove these problems. I did complain about these problems to Marriott, so I hope management took care of it.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 2, 2008

I have not a single bad thing to say about this hotel...I have only good things to say!

Staff - Excellent, friendly, kind, pleasant!
Rooms - Clean, large, inviting and stylish and crisp!
Beds were just perfect - there were 5 pillows on each queen a mix of feather and Poly...Most times you have to call for one or the other!

Ample free parking.

Well lit and secure building

AC system was so quiet I forgot that it was working.

This hotel well merits an excellent rating and I highly recommend staying here for business or with the family.

As a foot note there is a Taco Bell next door Mc D's less than a km away and Walmart close by as well. It is also easily accessable by route 7 that is right there.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 17, 2008

The Marriott website has this hotel listed as "brand new", but it is definitely not. It's not dirty or very old-looking, but to call it new would be pushing it.

They seem to be understaffed. There was a wait to check in, but the front desk staff of one was very nice.

Everything was surprisingly clean. Not sparkling clean, but above average-hotel-clean. ;) There were no odors and no mold or mildew, and that goes a long way with me.

My biggest complaint about this property (and the chain in general lately) is a lack of attention to detail. Marriott used to be the "go-to" chain for my family, but it seems to be cutting lots of corners. There was a horrible repair job done to the ceiling in the bathroom...it looked like they gave a five year old a tub of spackle and told him to fix it.

I was not amused by the $2 bottles of water in the convenience refrigerator next to the front desk. There was also no complimentary continental breakfast.

Still, I'd probably stay there again just because it didn't leave me feeling like I needed to take another shower as soon as I left.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank daynasu
Reviewed September 5, 2007

I am a regular visitor to the Courtyard for my visits to a commercial lending firm located nearby. The Courtyard took an old property and renovated it a couple of years ago, but the property is due for an upgrade. The workout facilities are small and some of the machines are in disrepair.

The air conditioning are old-style blower rather than central air. You don't select a temperature rather than putting the dial on a scale of blue-to-red. The hallways this summer smelled of mildew, though this was not an issue inside the rooms. Rooms are standard with plenty of room to stretch out on the sofa.

Staff have always been courteous, but they stopped the honor system of the evening bar. This is an okay place for a short trip in Norwalk, but its basics for the Courtyard brand.

• Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank Craig L
Reviewed August 18, 2007

It was a basic hotel stay. The balcony overlooking the courtyard was nice since it could have easily been a view of the street or parking lot. The room was very average (Room 246). Checking in and out was easy but my room initially did not have a refrigerator as advertised on their website. I had to call the front desk to request one. After a few minutes, the refrigerator was delivered and placed under the sink. We needed it to store milk for our 2yr old son. If it wasn't for the free breakfast that was included in our rate, I think that I would have been really disappointed. The surrounding area was nice. There is a great fish and chips place down the street, just make a left when exiting the hotel. That was the highlight of our trip. Overall, our stay at the Courtyard Norwalk was decent. Nothing to brag about. I would try other hotels before staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2007

Our family of 5 are big users of the Marriott hotels, especially the Courtyards and the Residence Inns, so this suited us well. The hotel met our expectations - large lobby and lounge area, with a business area, including coffee, tea and cocoa self service. The room was clean and comfortable. It also had a balcony that faced into the courtyard - that was a nice unexpected little bonus. The internet service in the rooms worked well for us, because we alway bring a laptop with us. Our target destination was Compo Beach in Westport. After spending the day at the beach, some of us continued the evening with a dip in the indoor pool. The the reception area could have used more staff, because the lady there, while very pleasant and courteous, was very busy with guest inquiries, among other duties. There is a computer in the business area of the lobby which was always in use. As out of state visitors, we enjoyed the little side trips to Stew Leonard's and the Maritime Aquarium.

Stayed: July 2007