“Outstanding refresh!”
Review of Courtyard Norwalk

Courtyard Norwalk
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Norwalk
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed here as the renovations were wrapping up, as of mid-February floors 2-4 had been renovated and they were down to the first floor. I stayed on a Friday night and while the first floor wing was closed off and there was some construction equipment in the one part of the parking lot, but we didn't hear any noise whatsoever from construction and it was a total non-issue. Perhaps this was due to the fact it was a Friday night/Saturday morning.

I also noticed a sign upon check-in that they have a shuttle on weekdays, basically for business travelers that goes into "SoNo" in the evenings or anywhere within a couple miles. Nice that they do that, although that should be expected when the weekday rate is probably over double the AAA weekend rate.

The refresh was sorely needed as this hotel was stuck in the standard 90s Courtyard theme. New wallpaper and carpet in the hallways. The rooms have been painted, have accented wallpaper on the one wall, brand new carpet, new lamps/light fixtures, and new sofa. The furniture remains and was put in before the major work. Room even had that new smell to it. Some updated touches to the bathrooms as well.

The only reason I can't give it 5 stars is the AC unit wouldn't get cold enough, only down to 65 and the fan set on "high" hardly produced any airflow. We had to open the patio door to get it cold enough, that helped some. Also the wifi was painfully slow, a speed test showed a pathetic 1.5Mpbs, about the equivalent of EDGE(2G) speed. AT&T LTE cell service was hitting 45Mpbs. This was on a Saturday morning so it shouldn't have even been heavily utilized. Not a big deal for me, but it probably would be for some business travelers.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the Courtyard are probably quieter, they seem to be the 1 King bed rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicole R, General Manager at Courtyard Norwalk, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Thank you so much for your reveiw of our hotel, we greatly appreciate it when our Guests write a review about our hotel! Even though your stay was during our Rooms Renovation, I am so happy to hear you were not impacted by the inevitable noise that comes with a construction project such as a Rooms Renovation. We worked extremely hard to minimize the impacts to our Guests … in most cases we were successful, however we did struggle a little at the beginning of our Renovation (we had to get our sea legs I suppose!). I liked your comment about our rooms being stuck in the 90’s, it made me chuckle! A previous Guest Review had us stuck in the 80’s, so it’s clear we had plenty of opportunity to update our image!!! In addition to the new paint, wallpaper, carpets, window dressings, fixtures you mentioned, we also replaced our chairs, sofa beds, and mattresses (to ensure everyone gets a great night sleep!). Top to bottom, we have a completely renewed our hotel, and are extremely proud of it. I do hope you will consider us the next time you are traveling to the Norwalk area! All the best for a wonderful summer season!

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Overall good visit. Located in a safe area near highway. Our room was nice except for the pull out couch which was outdated and uncomfortable to sleep on. Marriott's newer version pull out at many of their hotels very comfortable. Pool area excellent and large hot tub great. Free Starbucks coffee in lobby very fresh. Just a few small things that would have made it a 5 star. New lobby cafe sold a breakfast sandwich for $7.50, a little steep. Our room and a friends room did not have the linens for the couch bed in the room. Had to call front desk which did not answer at 10pm. Had to walk down to desk. But overall would return

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Knowing your time is valuable, may I express my thanks for taking the time to review our hotel! I appreciate the kind words about our hotel, and am happy to hear you would return to our hotel during future trips to Norwalk! Since your stay, our hotel has undergone a multi-million dollar Rooms Renovation, including the addition of those new sofa beds you mention other Marriott’s have! It does appear we have an opportunity to work with our Housekeeping staff about “replenishing” those sofa bed linens located in the closet. Our Housekeepers are meticulous about ensuring they strip the sofa beds, but thank you for letting me know about the opportunity we have with ensuring there are fresh linens in the rooms for those sofa beds! Again, we very much appreciate the feedback, and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future!!!

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Disclaimer:
This review is from before the property was renovated. We stayed here just shortly after the renovation began, and none of the rooms had been renovated yet.

Now the sad review.

This property is well below average, in terms of physical plant and the service. I'd be tempted to say it's at the level of a Motel-6, but to be honest, I'm not sure that's fair to Motel-6. This place was that bad.

We spent one night here recently while travelling around the holidays. Noting that the hotel website indicated that renovation work was in progress, I had requested a quiet room for our family on the reservation form. I had followed up with two phone calls to the hotel to ensure that they had our request and could honor it.

We check in and are shown our room. I'm already sceptical because it's the first room next to the elevator. Not exactly a quiet spot in any hotel.

But OK, let's see what we have.

Inside the room, there's a note from the manager making a great fanfare about how they are pleased to accomodate the special request regarding the room (a quiet room away from the construction).

We're in the room maybe 5 minutes when a loud engine starts roaring and a piercing beeping noise (like a construction vehicle backing up) erupts and persists outside our room. I mean right outside our window.

What the heck? I pull back the curtain, and lo and behold. There's a large construction crane right outside the window, moving construction materials to the floor above us. The crane is parked right outside the room. There's a gigantic dumpster on the ground right below the room, into which buckets of construction debris are being hurled.

This is the quiet room? This is what you made such a big fanfare about accomodating our request for a quiet room away from the construction?

Good lord, between being right next to the elevator and being right next to where your construction crane and dumpster is located, you couldn't have picked a louder room that is closer to the construction and to noise if you tried!

So we go back down and ask for another room. A quiet one, please.

This time we're given a room on the first floor, looking out onto the highway (i.e. lots of road noise), that literally steps out into the parking load (i.e. lots of cars pulling in and out, car lights shining into the room).

Really?

Finally, the THIRD room they gave us was in the interior courtyard, away from the construction and road noise.

The point I'm making here is simply that the staff/management here clearly couldn't give a hoot. They're just going through the motions. How on earth can you leave a note saying you've found a quiet room away from the construction when your freakin' construction crane and dumpster are right outside that room?! How on earth do you seek to remedy that situation by moving us to a room that is basically in the parking lot?

Now to the physical plant. The hotel is tired, worn down, and dumpy. The furniture is crappy particle-board stuff that has been banged and chipped all over. The bathrooms are small, old and kind of crappy.

Here's the best summary of how crappy the physical plant is. The room they finally got us had a king bed with a sofabed for our daughter. The mattress on the king bed was inferior to the one in the sofabed.

You read that right.

The mattress was about 4 or 5 inches thick, and all foam. No springs. Not memory foam either -- just crappy old foam.

I've slept at Motel-6's and Comfort Inn's with better mattresses than this.

What a farce!

The TV was actually bolted down to the credenza, so you couldn't move it.

Really? The clientele you're getting here are running off with the TVs so you have to bolt them down?

We took our daughter to the pool. As we walk down the halls we could smell cigarette smoke. This is supposed to be a non-smoking property. We get to the pool, and while it's in nice little sunroom, we look at the floor and the edges of the sunroom, and we're apalled. The floor and tiles are falling apart. The metal beams of the sunroom are peeling with thick flakes falling off. There's huge gaps between the floor and the walls that they've tried to patch with a layer of grout that was some 2-3 inches thick and high (and looked both gross and ridiculous).

Give this place a pass. It's a disaster zone.

Maybe they'll fix the physical plant with the renovation they're doing.

But what are they going to do about the "who cares" attitude of the staff?

There's a Hilton Garden Inn right up the road. We should have booked there (we didn't because we couldn't find a room there with 2-queens or a king and a sofabed -- only 2 doubles).

Hey Mariott -- you need to seriously rethink this property. It's so far behind the competition that it's not even funny.

Room Tip: Inside the courtyard to get away from road noise. Away from the construction.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JolietJakeBlues

Greetings from the * Newly Renovated* Norwalk Courtyard :) Thank you so much for your feedback, as we very much appreciate when our Guests take the time to write reviews. First, I need to apologize for your stay during our Rooms Renovation. While trying to conduct “business as usual” during a renovation is extremely difficult, it saddens me when I hear about a stay like yours. I’m so sorry it took 3 tries to get you a quiet room. We had just started the Renovation, and while the Staff knew where the “construction” was happening to the rooms in another area of the hotel, we clearly underestimated the noise that the crane would make (and that anyone that stayed near that crane would be inconvenienced by the noise!). It sounds silly that we would have underestimated the noise factor of the crane, but we definitely learned the hard way, and for that you have my heartfelt apologies! Now that the renovation is complete, we have Guest Rooms that are wonderfully up-to-date, including brand new mattresses and pull out sofa beds! We also updated our bathrooms with new tubs and tubs surrounds, as well as updated décor and fixtures. I hope these improvements show that we do value your feedback, and hope that future stays in the area might bring you back to the Norwalk Courtyard. All the best, and thank you again for your candid feedback!

Reviewed November 26, 2012

The place was clean and our side was quiet, I heard others complain about a train waking them up. The staff was friendly and responsive to our needs and the location was accessible to some decent restaurants and convenience stores like Walmart and Panera. The pool and hot tub were a good size and were empty each time we went, except for a lack of housekeeping, full laundry and no towels, it was fine. It was Thanksgiving weekend so maybe a skeleton crew. The biggest complaints we have were the lack of continental breakfast, as compared to the Hilton chain we serves a substantial buffet, everything was a charge and the variety was lame. Secondly the staff ENTERED our room while we were inside and had the do not disturb sign on the door, claiming someone said we were checking out that day,. Made no sense and was totally uncool. Lastly the internet connection was really poor and the cell phone service was as well. Overall, it was all we required for our short trip and we found a great diner b/c there was no breakfast, so I wouldn't avoid it, but for the price, I'd go Hilton.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your reveiw of our hotel, we greatly appreciate it! I am very much grateful for your feedback, and although you mentioned the hotel was “all you required for your short trip”, I truly wished your hotel experience was much better than that! We are in the business of making “memorable” experiences for our travelers, and after reading your review, I was left thinking that I wished you had fonder memories of your stay here (and not that it just met your needs!). I sincerely apologize that our Housekeeping staff was confused about your check-out date, as disturbing you when you had your do-not-disturb sign on the door was, in your words, very “uncool” in my opinion! My husband and I actually visited my sister in Boston this weekend, and we stayed at a Courtyard near her house. To be candid, the Housekeeper knocked on our door three times in the morning to see if we were ready to check out. I know the Housekeeper was just trying to manage turning those rooms so they were clean before check-in time of 3pm, but we felt rushed, and to be honest, it didn’t leave us with a great departure experience. On the ride home, it made me think about our processes here at my hotel, and how I should modify our Housekeeping process, so we can make sure we “get the job done”, while still ensuring our Guests have a 100% pleasurable experience. Please know your comments help me a great deal in ensuring we continually focus on what we can do to ensure our Guests’ completely enjoy their stay. Again, my sincere thanks. Wishing you and yours a wonderful summer!

Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for all of last week since the full service Marriott in Stamford was fully booked. While this hotel was closer to my client then competing chains, my experience with several aspects of this hotel (and the Courtyard brand in particular) have compelled me to avoid making any future reservations at this chain in the future.

I am a business traveler, and require some degree of connectivity in order to follow-up with clients and do business. The internet connectivity in my room was atrocious. Not only was there no hard-wire cable to plug into my laptop, but the signal was very weak and the bandwidth through iBahn intolerable. For most of the evening I could not access webmail or even load a basic web page. I called the front desk and they pleaded ignorance and did not follow-up to verify. This was on my laptop, phone, and iPad. I would have gladly paid a fee to get some semblance of premium service (ostensibly, iBahn is "premium" service although it was free in this case) but that wasn't an option.

Don't even bother with breakfast if you have an alternative. During morning rush-hour, when people queue at the "The Bistro" (an a la carte insult to status members since they did away with the buffet), there was only one person taking orders and cooking for 10 people waiting in line.

The accommodations otherwise were decent and the basic amenities were available, however for the price (slightly less than a full-service Marriott) I did not find this to be a good value.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Good Day! First I wanted to express my sincere appreciation for taking the time to share your thoughts by submitting a review of our hotel. Since the Courtyard brand prides itself on focusing on the Business Traveler during the week, your comments really hit home with me. I will not shy away from your comments regarding our connectivity issues, as there is no excuse for you not to be able to stay productive during your stay, especially at a hotel that caters to the Business Traveler during the work week! Since your stay, we have upgraded from T-1 to Ethernet technology, which has helped out a great deal. With more and more technology requirements needed to support the many devices being used by our Guests, there is always opportunity for us to continue to upgrade our bandwidth. Please know that keeping our Guests productive and connected is one of our (my) top priorities! Thank you again for your feedback, and wishing you a wonderful summer!

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed 2 nights had room on first floor front towards main road, train goes by at 5:30am awaking me. Room was okay and clean. They did not sure breakfast until 6:30am. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel! I appreciate the kind words about our Staff, and will be sure to relay the kind sentiments to them. I sincerely apologize about the noise that awoke you so early in the morning. If you are ever in the area again, please don’t hesitate to let me know, and I will make sure we put you in our quietest room so you can enjoy a great night sleep! Also, we recently underwent a complete Rooms Renovation, so not only will the room be as clean as you remembered, but it will WOW you next time you stay with us! All my best, and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel!

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed here on a Friday night finally finding a date with an $89 discounted rate(which is cheap for here). The hotel is easy enough to find and is extremely convenient for business travelers who work along the Rt 7 corridor in Norwalk, which I guess is after all, who they are after. The area, well there really isn't anything within walking distance and as far as restaurants go it's very limited in the immediate area. If you are looking for chains there is an Outback close-by and a couple Bertucci's in the area, and that is IT. This area/Norwalk is seriously lacking in those type choices and you must travel 30 minutes North to Milford/West Haven or downtown Stamford or Rye(NY) to find the usual places. Tons of expensive Italian type places in this area, some decent places can be found in "SoNo" as well. Keep this in mind if traveling with kids, especially hungry kids after a long car ride, you'd be better served going closer to Milford area(which is probably cheaper anyway).

The building is the older Courtyard design with 3 wings around a central courtyard below. The firepit and lounge chairs/area outside was covered up for the winter but would be nice in the summertime. The lobby has been updated as have nearly all Courtyards have been, very contempo/modern and nice. No issues checking in. The hallways at least have new carpet, but the doors and old yellow wallpaper are pure classic 80s Courtyard issue. Our room on the 3rd floor had new furniture but still those old yellow walls and old school carpet too. The TV was a notch bigger(37'') than standard issue Marriott and there is the standard TV lineup of around 35 channels, about half in HD including the NYC locals. The room was very clean. We had some noise issues with the room below us, several people smoking outside on the balcony(is this allowed in a non-smoking hotel?!?!). The AC only went down to 65 and didn't really get the room cold enough for us, so leaving the patio door open resulted in more noise from outside/downstairs. HVAC was too quiet, no way to force the AC condenser on high, just the fan.

This is a pretty standard issue Courtyard, any traveler knows what they should get here and they won't be disappointed. Decent-enough, clean room, I've seen Courtyards this old with more renovations completed but at least they have done a couple things here like new furniture and hallway carpet.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your thorough reveiw of our hotel, we greatly appreciate it! I agree, there definitely is a lack of chain resturants in the immediate area. I actually forgot about Bertucci's, so thank you for reminding me, so we can let future Guests know of that option! Our hotel recently underwent a full Rooms Renovation, so now all the "classic 80s Courtyard" style has now been replaced with up-to-date decor and furniture! We are very excited now that our hotel has been completely renovated, and are now out of the "80's", but please know our Staff is as top-notch as our new look and design :) Thank you again for your review, and enjoy your summer! Hopefully you have a fun travel trip planned with the family!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwalk
Hilton Garden Inn Norwalk
The Norwalk Inn & Conference Center
Hyatt Regency Greenwich
Hyatt Regency Greenwich
#1 of 1 in Old Greenwich

Been to Courtyard Norwalk? Share your experiences!