“Friendly Hotel”
Review of Courtyard Norwalk

Courtyard Norwalk
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Norwalk
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for the first time for two nights in July to visit family in Fairfield. What a nice surprise to see the new Courtyard design. The lobby decor is lovely and the cafe food for purchase is very good. It is so nice to have access to food and beverages in the evening as well as morning. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. There is an indoor pool and nice outdoor furniture in the enclosed courtyard area. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CaroleG7
Nicole R, General Manager at Courtyard Norwalk, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel, we appreciate it very much!!!

I am pleased to hear you liked the new look of our Courtyard hotels! Adding evening dinner services has proved to be a popular addition to the Courtyard brand. And the outdoor terrace is a new space that seems to be a big hit with our leisure travelers. I'm so happy to hear you were able to enjoy both our new dinner concept and outdoor terrace experience!

All the best, and thank you for considering our hotel the next time your travels take you to the Norwalk/Fairfield area!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed here from 6/18 - 6/23/12. This property has been updated to the new Courtyard footprint. Nice lobby with cafe. Very cool touch screen tv in the lobby. Rooms are consistent to Courtyard and beds are very comfortable. Overall, a nice experience.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank erinshero
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you for taking the time out to review our hotel. We are so happy to hear that your stay with us was an enjoyable experience. We really do strive and care about all of our guests comfort. And as enjoyable as your last stay with with us was, be prepared for an even more enjoyable stay in the near future. Starting in November 2012 we are beginning the renovations to the rooms. So that same updated feel you get when you enter our lobby you will get when you put your feet up at night. And I promise the beds will be just as comfortable...if not more-so. We do hope to see you as a guest of ours again in the near future.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I have been to a couple of meetings in this hotel and one included lunch. The service was great and the meeting room was fine. The lobby of the hotel has been redone, and has a more modern feel. There are several "living room" areas and it is convenient for working, etc. I will say that I do like this new lobby design - it is much more inviting for a business traveler.

Now, the rooms... they have not had similar renovations. The furniture is a bit beat up, the bed a little soft, the bathroom dated. There is no room service, nor do they have menus in the rooms for places that deliver. Just in case you get stuck - there is a Starbucks just down the street (drivable and drive thru) and they do have some snacks in the lobby.

So - overall, it was okay. Now, I do think the rate was too high - - $250, for this type of room is crazy. I would rather pay that rate at the Delamar in Southport and have a more luxe experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you for taking the time out to review our hotel. We are very happy that your overall experience was a positive one. And we love that you enjoyed the renovations that were made to the lobby and Bistro. I can tell you with great enthusiasm that our rooms are getting that face-lift you recommend. Starting in November of 2012 room renovations will begin. So in the future, your stay in our rooms will be just as enjoyable as the lounging in our lobby is now. Also in the future, please feel free to call the front desk for any menus. Because there are so many great restaurants in the immediate area, making them all available would be quite the cluttered stack in each room. Instead of you dealing with that kind of mess, we are happy to provide them to you with a simple call downstairs. Thank you again! These reviews really help us become a better hotel for you.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed here when our home A/C was out during a heat wave in CT. The new lobby was nice and has an expansive Coffee/ Sandwich bar as well as a Marketplace for snacks. The hallways and layout was a bit confusing and some rooms had a very long walk to them. The pool was closed for renovations during our stay (so I can't comment on it). The room itself was clean and updated. The soap isn't that great and the cleaning staff had place two conditioners in our room instead of a shampoo and conditioner.

Overall, it's a basic Courtyard surrounded by competing hotel. I'd recommend the hotel for anyone traveling on business ( free unlimited wifi - in room).

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you for taking the time out to review our hotel. As you may read in my responses, It is people like you that help us get better. I am glad to hear that your overall stay with us was positive. Especially during a time where your home had no AC in a heatwave. We are very appreciative of you choosing our hotel during your time of needed comfort. I do hope you notified us of any problems with the room you may have had...specifically, not being given a shampoo. Your stay coincided with us recently upgrading to Paul Mitchell products. I think it may have taken the staff a week to get acclimated to the new product line. I do apologize. Although our goal is for you to have absolutely no issues at all, we also strive to rectify any that may arise. Not that we wish you to go without AC again, but we do hope to see you as a guest of ours in the near future. And thank you very much for recommending our hotel!

Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

Well, it's not walking distance to anything except highway and forest, but at least they have a practical bistro in the lobby with a walk up counter, very friendly service, and good food in fast time. The lobby ambiance is also remodeled and modern. Rooms: nothing special, door or walls are very thin and could hearing someone snoring through each night. Convenient that they have a shuttle to the office buildings 10 min away although one day I waited 45 min for the shuttle, even after calling every ten minutes (since each time I was told only 5 more minutes to wait) - so its convenient but not perfect. Otherwise front desk staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: June 2012
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you for taking the time out to review our hotel. It is people like you that help us get better. As happy as I am to hear that your overall stay was positive, I can genuinely say that I am empathetic not only to the noise you had to deal with during the night, but also the wait you had to endure for the shuttle. Although waiting for the shuttle is a rare occurrence, it should be an occurrence that never happens. I take all reviews seriously and appreciate them more than I can state in words. I promise you that I will address this matter. And I do hope to see you as a guest of ours again in the near future.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

stayed here for a Bat Mitzvah.. was feeling sick and with indigestion in the middle of the night... went looking for a vending machine as the signs indicated, but there were NO machines...only a pantry in the lobby..

NO PROBLEM... but alas they had NO Cokes or Pepsis only Mtn Dew, Dr Pepper and some 10 ounce Diet Pepsis... the clerk tried to scan the drink, but it wouldn't scan, so she just made up an arbitrary numer and said $2.. what a rip off for a 10 ounce diet pepsi

When I got back to my room and took a big sip, I felt worse at the drink tasted of chemicals..it turns out the expiration date on the drink was Aug 2010.. nearly 2 years ago

I posted my concerns on Facebook and got back an insulting note saying they had alerted the front desk and that they hoped I was feeling better.. THIS IS A HEALTH ISSUE Mariott Courtyard.

I contaced the 1-800 Courtyard customer service line and they said that they would talk to the front desk about compensation.

When I checked out all the drinks had been removed from the cooler and the new clerk on duty insinuated that since there were NO expired drinks on the shelf, and they had never sold 10 ounce products that perhaps i had gotten the drink elsewhere.

She did offer me points, but I asked for a free night and she comped one of the 2 nights i was there.,

In retrospect, I feel like my integrity was questioned and I wish that I had asked to have a phone call from the manager on Monday.

What do my fellow trip advisors think?

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Dandenver
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you for taking the time out to post your review. I am sorry to hear that you weren't feeling well during your stay with us. And I can genuinely say that I am sympathetic to the situation. Our number one concern at our hotel is that, as a guest, you have the most enjoyable experience possible. And although we do strive for perfection, when a problem does arise we pride ourselves in fully resolving all issues...and then some. I was happy to hear that after our customer care team personally spoke with you, they were able to fully rectify the situation to your liking. I want you to know that these reviews are taken very seriously and they are appreciated more than I can tell you. They really do help us become a better hotel for you. Thank you again! And I do hope to see you as a guest of ours again in the near future.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

After 12 hours on the road, lots of traffic, and getting stuck behind a horrific auto accident just a few exits before my destination, anything would have looked good, but this place actually helped me feel better. The check in process was smooth. The clerk saw me look longingly at the bar and asked the waiter to delay closing up until we were done, which he gladly did. Bed was very comfy, room immaculate, wireless fast and free. Just a few little caveats. For one, there was only one outlet in the bathroom, a real drawback. The Bistro in the lobby looked like it had nice food but was WAY overpriced. Finally there seemed to be not enough help. I've never struggled to get through a door in a hotel before, with bags and all, without someone offering assistance. Here, I kept struggling. But maybes fall, good outweighed bad, and the AAA discount was a plus. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
missmugsy, General Manager at Courtyard Norwalk, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel, we very much appreciate it! I am pleased to hear that we were able to make you feel better after your travel woes, and do hope your trip home went smoother than the ride in.

I'm glad we were able to keep the restaurant/bar open so you could unwind a bit from your trip. And it's always good to hear about our clean and comfy rooms. I do wish, however, we had an additional staff member on hand to assist with your luggage, as I believe that would have been a welcome help after your long trip in!

All the best, and thank you for considering our hotel the next time your travels take you to the Norwalk area!