“Very good hotel for night stopover.”
Review of Courtyard Norwalk

Courtyard Norwalk
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Norwalk
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Modern, friendly, welcoming hotel.We were on the ground floor. Large bedroom with big sliding patio door. Though we arrived late, the restaurant put together a great dinner for us, with our two kids of 12 and 15 with very helpful and friendly staff. Big thunderstorm outside that night but we felt very comfortable in our beds.Breakfast was again delicious, with staff going out of their way to add extra touches and service. Recommend this hotel for a night stop over.

Reviewed August 30, 2011

Tired rooms and hallways - don't be fooled by the renovated lobby. Paper thin walls and loud plumbing make for a rough night's sleep. Strangely configured outlets made it impossible to plug in my computer anywhere except the bathroom. Front desk and cafe staff were helpful and friendly. Last month I published a review praising the New Haven Courtyard as exceeding my expectations. Norwalk's Courtyard is more expensive and much less impressive.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank wisewoman15
Reviewed August 24, 2011

My wife and I had our first child in July -- a little boy named Beckett -- but, in advance of her due date, we wanted to get away one last time. We were pretty limited in where we could go: we didn't want to stray too far from home, and we could only do one night away. We remembered, though, that some years ago we had a fun night in South Norwalk and decided to head back.

We''ve mostly had good luck with Marriott properties and this was no different. The lobby had recently been refurbished and we snagged a quality breakfast in the morning (there is a little bar there too, though we did not partake). The room was big and comfortable: huge bed, a nice TV, clean bathroom, powerful A/C. We slept very well. We also requested a room away from the road -- a fairly major thoroughfare -- and it was very quiet.

A big bonus: the pool. In fact, my then-eight-and-a-half-months-pregnant wife's one request for our night away was finding a pool. It's sizable, heated and enclosed, and not at all crowded when we hung out there for an hour or so in the morning.

Now, obviously, the hotel mostly caters toward business travelers and it's hardly the most charming place you could stay. But it was comfortable and affordable and provided us with exactly what we needed: a night away from NYC. The hotel is not far from I-95 and the Merritt Pkwy, and nearby downtown Norwalk -- ie, South Norwalk, or "SoNo" -- is worth the trip. There are several charming streets down by the harbor lined with restaurants and bars, and we once again enjoyed having a nice dinner and drink there. It's a really nice spot, and the hotel is just a short/easy drive (maybe 10 minutes or so) away.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lemiracle
Reviewed August 4, 2011

This CY is a good 25 years old or so, I remember staying here in 1998. Mostly a business hotel catering to nearby business parks, which translates to higher standard rates. Still in good shape, it features the newer CY Bistro concept. As in all CY's, breakfast is not free. Rooms were clean and comfortable, fairly basic and standard as in most CY's. Flat screen TV, good internet speed. The hotel is about 10-15 minutes off of I-95, not that convenient if you are headed to NYC (instead try the Stamford Marriott, if you prefer Marriott's'). It is situated in a rural area, Hilton Garden Inn next door, across from some expensive gas stations. Many restaurant choices, most requiring a drive. I recommend the Tuscan Oven, a 3-4 minute ride or 10 minute walk- good upscale Italian, local crowd, 20 seat bar. Overall, this CY is a good choice for the Norwalk vicinity.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank edtoby007
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in Norwalk for a family event. My review is mainly to applaud the efforts of both Jairo and Michelle, front desk personnel, in finding my pillow that had been left behind. I am VERY picky about beds because I am a very light sleeper and am often in pain after sleeping. I bring my pillow everywhere (even when I fly). The beds were very comfortable AND because we had full control over the air conditioning & fan, we were able to get our environment exactly as we liked it. Plus, by putting the fan on "ON" rather than "Auto" we were able to keep it from cutting on and off all night. We checked out on a Sunday and when we arrived at our next destination, I realized I had forgotten my pillow at the hotel. I called and spoke with Michelle who told me that when it was brought down from housekeeping it would be no problem to hold onto it in the back with my name until I returned on Tuesday. When I arrived on Tuesday, Michelle was there and said she had looked in the back room, in housekeeping, the linen area, and had even talked to the housekeeping manager... to no avail. I really appreciated all her efforts to locate my pillow (I would have been sad to lose it). Another front desk staff person, Jairo (I think that was his name) looked again for me and then had a final brilliant idea of where it could be. Off he went, and voila, he had it! Michelle and I were impressed! I thanked him profusely, happily proceeded home, and am now writing them a glowing review!

Reviewed July 18, 2011

My family of four stayed here for three nights during a trip to see family and friends in a room that had a living area and a separate bedroom. Pluses: the lobby area is pleasant, there is always fresh (good) coffee and tea, and the rooms have free Internet service. There's also a computer in the lobby where you can check in for a flight and print your boarding pass, but the printer was broken when I tried to use it. There's a pleasant courtyard and a separate pool building. The rooms have small balconies, and our room had a microwave and small fridge. Minuses: there was no free breakfast (and most Courtyards provide it)--very disappointing. Once we hit Monday night, our rate more than doubled "because the hotel is located near business parks." That rate ($269) was frankly way too high for the quality of the hotel, regardless of being located on the East Coast. The industrial laundry room (where they clean the sheets) is in one of the hallways, constantly reminding guests of activity that should be "behind the scenes." In the courtyard, there was only one table that had its umbrella set up during a heatwave, so we couldn't sit there to enjoy coffee in the morning. The AC in the rooms was not good--when it went on, the room became really cold (pull up the blankets and go back to sleep). After it turned off, the room got uncomfortably hot (throw off the blanket). This cycle went on all night. Finally, the front desk clerk sometimes doubles as server at the food area; once or twice, we couldn't find the desk clerk anywhere, and once or twice, the clerk was a little indifferent (one other clerk was friendly). In all, a pretty mixed experience. Our relatives stayed in the Hilton Garden Inn one block up the road and seemed to like it a lot.

Reviewed June 20, 2011

A perfect fine stay while attending a wedding Room was clean, staff friendly, at a good location. A bonus was how inexpensive the room was with free parking, internet and Starbucks in lobby. They also set aside a bank of rooms for the wedding and provided a shuttle to the shindig.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family