“Hidden Gem in Norwalk!”

Ranked #19 of 459 Restaurants in Norwalk
Cuisines: American, Healthy, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: SUGAR & OLIVES seeks to educate its diners and cultivate the relationship between farms and families. The restaurant is devoted to serving wholesome, healthy and happy local food. Nearly all menu items come from The Nutmeg State or close by--including milk, cheese, eggs, fruit, vegetables, beef, pork, poultry-in addition to wine, beer and spirits. The rustic "shop" was established in 2008 by Jennifer Balin, a Westport mom of four. This three star Certified Green Restaurant serves brunch five days a week and dinner three nights a week-plus holds cooking classes twice a week. The space is also a charming party venue and community hang-out. The restaurant can accommodate up to 225 people, but also has two quaint smaller spaces for more intimate gatherings.
Reviewed May 12, 2019

My son came home for Mother's Day--drove over 10 hours to visit dear mum. Wanted to take me out for breakfast, and had not thought to make a reservation nor research where to take me.

We thought we would try a place in Westport, but they only served Mother's Day brunch and it was about 9:45am. So he googled and up came Sugar & Olives in Norwalk.

Hidden on Lois Street across from Bed, Bath and Beyond and Bow Tie Royale 6, who knew this amazing restaurant with funky atmosphere existed! Lived in this area for over 28 years and had no idea it has been there for 10+ years.

We had no reservation, but they accommodated us at the kitchen bar, which turned out fascinating as we watched, Chef and Owner--Jennifer, cook, chat with us and had a very attentive and welcoming staff experience.

The food, the food, the food...to die for. Honestly in 28 years of living here, I think it was the best breakfast-brunch meal we have ever had! My son and I shared the Cheddar cheese with red and yellow peppers omelet and the pancake with strawberry compote. Yummy! I highly recommend and we will be back.

Date of visit: May 2019
1  Thank Extraordinary657939

Reviewed April 19, 2019

I recently had my daughter’s bridal shower at Sugar & Olives in Norwalk, CT. From start to finish, the party was fantastic! Sugar & Olives was the perfect setting for the party. Right from the get-go, Jennifer, the chef/owner, assured us that her farm-to-table restaurant was the place for us. She was right! The fresh, simple, and utterly delicious menu ranged from Seasonal Fruit Smoothie Shots to Chocolate Bread French Toast Sticks to Corn meal Pan-fried Chicken Thighs and more! The entire wait-staff was attentive and friendly. They celebrated my daughter’s joy right along with us. I could not have asked for a better venue for such a special day. I highly recommend Sugar & Olives for you party-needs and more.

Date of visit: April 2019
2  Thank Marisamorans
Reviewed April 11, 2019

I recently had my daughters bridal shower at Sugar and Olives. My expectations were exceeded! Jennifer was easy going and wonderful to work with from start to finish. She was flexible in all aspects of the event and willing to go above and beyond to make the day special. The staff, especially Mehlika were super helpful, in making the event warm and welcoming. The food was delicious. I was looking for a unique setting with choices of food that were different than a traditional banquet facility/restaurant brunch options. Sugar and Olives was perfect!! Thank you!!!

Date of visit: April 2019
1  Thank dlongobu
Reviewed December 16, 2018

We had a great dinner here recently. The place is spartan but comfortable, set in a low key storefront. The location is great for a meal before or after the movies at the Norwalk/Westport Crown Royal Theaters. The people are warm, friendly, and helpful. The menu is small but varied enough to please everyone. The shashito peppers were great. The bass was in an outstanding puttanesca sauce and the fish was superb. The scallop risotto was sublime. Everything was clearly prepared with fresh ingredients and well plated. The coffee was excellent. Can't wait to try brunch!

Date of visit: December 2018
1  Thank 654robertf654
Reviewed May 24, 2018 via mobile

I just recently held my sisters Bridal Shower at Sugar and Olives and I have nothing but WONDERFUL things to share about this restaurant! Jennifer, the owner and head chef of Sugar and Olives is fantastic! I contacted Jennifer 4 days before the date of my sisters shower, as the other venue I had booked fell through. Jennifer was not only willing to meet with me that day but, organized a delicious menu for the event and was extremely accommodating to meet our needs. In such short notice, she put together a delicious brunch spread of farm to table food. The ambiance and service provided was nothing short of perfection! Mehlika was our server and was very personable and efficient. I highly recommend Sugar and Olives for any occasion, this place is delicious!!!

Date of visit: May 2018