“Good room but poor service”

Hilton Garden Inn Norwalk
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Norwalk
London, United Kingdom
“Good room but poor service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed one night in July 2013. Parts of the hotel were undergoing refurbishment so there was some disruption. On the positive side, we had a good night's sleep in a clean and comfortable room. On the negative side, I later discovered that I was double-charged for the stay; and I have still not received a refund. The admin staff either do not pick up the phone; do not respond to email/voicemail messages; and when you do reach someone, they show desire to resolve the issue.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
New Bedford, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Unrotunately, the hotel was going through a renovation. Even with this occurring, the building was very clean and the work being done was away from the reception area. The staff was very pleasant.and helpful with checking in. Only stayed one night as we attended a NY Yankees game. Room was clean and the staff was sure to put our room away from a group staying for a wedding. Breakfast was also very good as well

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sparta, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

I have stayed here four times over the last two months. Great staff, good value and close to my office. Easy to get to from the Merritt Parkway. The food is pretty good- especially the flatbreads. I will stay here again.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Wilder, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Clean, Bright and great staff. I highly reccomend it. I ordered room service and it was really quick and delicious. It's a good location, near everything. The staff offered to give me an umbrella I borrowed to get my car. That was nice!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Good hotel that is clean and comfortable hotel. Excellent buffet breakfast available. The renovations were nearly complete and looked really good. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. We only stayed for one night as we were travelling up the I95 from Newark airport to providence RI. If in the area would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Antonio, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

For those of you who have read my reviews; they clearly tend towards tropical resorts after some of my vacation trips.
As a business traveler for the last 23 years, its however worth noting that I have had a LOT of experience staying at various Non-resort properties. I tend towards the Marriott and Hilton chains when traveling on business. With that said; I have stayed at the above property off and on (usually 8-12 nights per year) for well over 15 years.
I have noticed one consistent thing over this entire time period; a very friendly and helpful staff.
This may seem like a not very big deal; but as a harried business traveler, sometimes a friendly smile and and the willingness to go above and beyond a bit makes all the difference.

Why note it at this property above others I stay at; because for 15 years, its never seemed to fail. I'm not sure who the GM is at this property; but he or she must be doing something to keep their staff happy. Whatever it is; keep it up!

(and keep the cookies coming!)

Barnard, Vermont, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Having read the reviews of others who stayed during the renovations, I have to admit I was a little nervous. Was able to check in through the front door. The lobby / breakfast area looks great. There were a few weddings going on, so the clerk (very friendly) placed us in a room away from "Wedding Traffic" It worked as I was never disturbed. Loved the bed. It had a knob on the side of the mattress at the head of the bed which allowed me to control the firmness of the mattress. Slept very well. I understand the concerns regarding the parking lot lighting. Appear to be low wattage bulbs, but they worked fine. One light would go on and then off. The HVAC unit worked well, nice and cool for a good night's sleep. As the new amenities are placed in the room, the staff needs to make sure they are plugged in. Fridge was, TV was not. I took care of it. Room was very clean. Appreciated the "refresh" in the room. The blow dryer worked to my needs. My family visit was great and so was my stay at the HGI.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family