“Room and comfort”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Norwalk
North Windham
“Room and comfort”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Service and the comfort of the bed was very good. Room was dusty with stains on the walls a furniture. The bath and shower was below standard. All in all O.K.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

1 Thank Larry T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reviewed June 3, 2012

After driving for close to 12 hours, we wanted a decent room for the night. Econo Lodge was the nearest according to GPS. Next time I will do a little research first. Initially was booked into a room on the ground floor. Upon reaching our room we found a party going on in the room next door; filled with unsavory characters, smoking, drinking and making lots of noise. We removed our luggage and returned to the front desk and requested a different room. Was told we could get another room, but it was more expensive. The motel was "full". After some discussion they put us in a second floor room, for the same price. The room was shabby, and had a strong scent of air freshener covering a cigarette smell. Too exhausted to move we spent the night. One funny (?) thing were the scratch marks on the inside of the bathroom door. Apparently something was kept in the bathroom (big dog?) and really wanted to get out. That dog has my sympathy. We would never stay here again, and don't recommend it for others.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CamdanHills

Travelers are raving about these Norwalk hotels

Reviewed April 9, 2012

I've seen a lot of negative reviews about this place but I decided to take a chance since it was the cheapest in town and only planned on staying one night. The room was okay. Nothing fancy but definitely worth the money. Bed was pretty comfy, microwave + fridge, and everything worked. For the price, it's all you can ask for. It's a basic hotel. It's great for one night or just to crash. Can't complain too much. So far, so good. If anything else changes I'll update in the morning!

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank F8c3TheMusic
Brookline, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Stayed here one night so my boyfriend could take a standardized test nearby.

I will say that the room was very clean and spacious, though it smelled a little smoky (we were told it was a non-smoking room). There was a fridge and microwave combo in the room, though not the promised coffee maker. Plus free internet. So for a moderately priced night, it was fine.

Front desk service was pretty lackluster. I think it's family owned, so a smile or word of welcome at check-in would have been nice.

While I was getting breakfast in the morning, another woman was checking out and told the young, male front desk attendant that at night there had been a domestic dispute in the room above hers (threatening guns?) and she had to call the police.

The attendant replied, "Oh. Ok... sign here please". Obviously, it's not his fault, but maybe it is something he might be slightly concerned about?

While I was eavesdropping on this exchange, I went to get a muffin from the pastry case, and noticed a funky smell. On the shelf above the muffins, all the bagels were moldy. I told the attendant. He said, "I should throw those out, huh?"

Yup, you should.

In conclusion: the room is fine, the breakfast and service were not. Can't win 'em all. If you can find another option for cheaper, you might want to do that.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MohoRio
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed November 30, 2011

There was no fridge or microwave in the room, hot water pressure in the sink was poor but fine in the shower. There is no bathtub. Free wifi in the room, within walking distance of several fast food restaurants and a new Indian restaurant (Safron). I was awakened several times through the night by the TV in the next room which the occupant presumably fell asleep in front of. In other words the walls are paper-thin. The complimentary continental breakfast was poor. At $74, it was overpriced

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed September 25, 2011

This hotel room appeared clean but when I woke up in the middle of the night to an extremely loud TV that was still loud at 8am when I sent a email of complaint to Choice Rewards.
Due to a cold snap I purchased new white cotton socks. When I woke up I saw a large roach on the wall, I took pictures and then mashed it.
As I made my way to the bath another roach was waiting, it was also mashed I have a pictures to prove all claims made.
I then went back to bed, looked at my new socks and the bottoms were black.
From then on I was up with the lights on to keep the bugs away. I went the office where I met the night manager that could have cared less. He said he would make it up next time I stayed. Went back to the room and sent the complaint to Choice Hotels.
I then went back and a new desk clerk was there. I showed her pictures of the bugs both alive and dead, my socks, and the bathroom light switch. She offered to credit my account 6.99, yes 6.99. What an insult!
I told her to charge me the full amount minus the 1.50 for a safe that was not used. Regardless I paid the amount in full as I did us the services. Later that day I received a poorly written form letter stating all issues had been resolved in room 109 and that they were crediting my credit card the full amount and that it would take up to 8 days. It is now 10 days later and no credit. They never sent a receipt showing the credit.
Please, do your self a favor and inspect the room before you stay.
I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank Tkmellc
Middletown, New York
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Stayed one night. This is a economy priced motel with basic service. Room was relatively clean. Beds were average comfort. Sink was in alcove off Bedroom. Toilet and stall shower in their own room which did not have a window so it gave a very closed in feeling. Needs more hooks in shower area to hang clothes. No coffee maker in room.( I bring my own including cups) Did have a small fridge which was a surprise. No Microwave. Soap, shampoo and cream riinse was provided. Towels a little thin and could have used one or 2 more. One light in room did not work. We checked in early and got room key but could not get into room as it was not ready which was fine we were visiting friends in the area and came back late at night, I asked for a 1st floor room but was told they were $20.00 extra. Set back from main road so fairly quiet but was wakened by someone outside talking at 5 am. For the price it was fine. Would not stay more than one night.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank catwoman27
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwalk
The Norwalk Inn & Conference Center
Extended Stay America - Norwalk - Stamford
The Westport Inn
The Westport Inn
#1 of 1 in Westport

Been to Econo Lodge Norwalk? Share your experiences!