“Don't spend a fortune for great location”

Hilltop Inn & Suites
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 29, 2009

My fiance and I stayed here for a night. We had tickets to a show at Foxwoods and wanted a room which was close and affordable. The rooms were surprisingly large and clean.

When we called down to the front desk to ask for an iron, someone brought it up immediately. We were also upgraded to a king room at no extra charge based on availability. Definitely ask at check-in if you can be upgraded. It's always worth asking.

The shuttle left promptly to bring us to foxwoods, however beware that they fill up FAST heading back to the hotel on a Friday night. We must have missed the shuttle we were initially trying to catch b/c it probably filled up took right off. We had to wait a half hour for the next and make sure we got on to get a seat.

That being said, it's no luxury hotel. If all you're looking for is a place to crash for the night and be close to the action, this is it. I would definitlely go back for that reason.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 27, 2009

If you want a clean comfortable room with the most welcoming staff I have ever encountered in a hotel, this is it. I cannot say enough nice things about this hotel and staff. This was the first time I have ever been made to feel this welcome by a hotel staff. It was like being part of a family but not intrusive. The bed was very comfortable, the room was very clean, and the continental breakfast was the greatest. You have to try the Belgin waffles. The location was great as there are so many points of interest to be seen short distances from the hotel. The casinos were near by also. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to the area. The cost of the room also was a good deal. If you are looking for a 5 star luxury hotel this is not it, but if you want wonderful service this is it.
Donna from central New York

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2009

I stayed at the Hilltop Inn and Suites on a Saturday, Valentine's weekend, with my friend, as we were going to Foxwoods for the night to see Kid Rock. We got one of the last two rooms and the hotel was packed. All the women were given roses as we were checking in, which was sweet. The rooms were spacious and spotless, including the bathroom. We stayed in a smoking room and it didn't even smell of smoke. We stayed on the bottom floor in room 136 and nothing woke us up all night. It is at the back of the building, which is possibly the quieter area of the hotel. The beds were comfortable and clean, but the pillows could have been better quality. I would just bring my own pillow next time. I would definately stay again. I gave a lower rating on value, because it's a little pricey, but it is by a giant attraction. The shuttle is a bonus, but we didn't even use it. If that is why they are charging the extra $, then they should charge for the shuttle and lower their prices a little.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2008

Stayed for a weekend golf trip with friends Aug15-17. Room was OK - above motel standards but not quite up to a Courtyard or Fairfield Inn. Staff was A+ - everyone there went out of their way to help. Fitness center was small and needs an update. Breakfast was good. Shuttle service to Foxwoods was prompt and courteous - certain times they do bump people due to overcapacity. If you are looking for an inexpensive place to stay and play near Foxwoods I recoemend this joint. If you are a first timer or looking for the Foxwoods expereince spend the extra $100 and stay there.

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank tmarcone
Reviewed July 8, 2008

This site was booked for us by a family member. My wife needed handicap facilities and this hotel filled the bill. Our room was large, clean and had a roll in shower. We only used the site to sleep in so I can't comment on anything else that they offered. The front desk staff were all friendly and professional. This site does charge a one time $20 fee for a fridge and has a fee for the safe whether you use it or not. They will remove the fee for the safe but you have to ask. This is spelled out in very small print on the front of the safe. They also offer free shuttles to the nearby casino. Easy to find and plenty of parking.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2008

I stayed here for one evening on a Thursday night. I was in Connecticut for business and figured I'd drive over to Foxwoods since I've heard a lot about it. Being the company was paying, I couldn't pass through a charge of over $300, which is what it would have cost to stay at Foxwoods. For an internet rate of only $79, I could stay 3 miles away at the Hilltop Inn.

Keep in mind, you're paying $79 per night so you should go in with realistic expectations. First off, this is a Motel, not a Hotel. All doors are on the outside. You shouldn't expect first class (or even second class) accomodations.

What I did find was a VERY clean room, a comfortable bed, and VERY friendly staff. That's about all I can really expect for only $79. I'm sure if I were travelilng with my wife she wouldn't have cared too much for it but I can tell you I had no problems what-so-ever and was quite pleased.

On the negative side, the shuttle bus ran only once per hour and the last shuttle back to the hotel left Foxwoods at 11:45 PM. That's a little earlier than I typically quit gambling but being I had to leave the next morning at 6:00 AM to drive to New York City it probably wasn't a bad thing.

Definitely would recommend - especially for a one-night stay.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank MinMemphis
Reviewed April 10, 2008

We live in New York and thought we would go check out Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods. We had no reservations but I had an idea of prices and hotels.. The Hilltop was recomended to us. We 1st stopped at the Belissimo, they were playing price games and we would have had to wait for a room to be cleaned. We drove just down the road to Hilltop. We got a room with a jetted tub. $249 for the night, Saturday. The room had mirrors everywhere, even on the ceiling. Never had that in a hotel room before. They were not even skinny mirrors, that would have been great! Either that or mirrors that make you look like a little person, like at a carnival. The room was clean. Though the wall paper was stapled to the wall around the shower. Steam and wallpaper do not mix. Plenty of hot water here, filled the tub up. The bus to Foxwoods worked out well. It travels every half hour, and the drivers were pleasant. We too had noisy people in the parking lot at 2am, but they eventually went to bed. Everyone is just there for a good time. We would return and stay at this hotel because Foxwoods would have charged $583 for a Saturday night. All we did was sleep here, spent thet rest of the time at Foxwoods. P.S. We like Mohegan Sun better. Both casinos will make you smell like you smoke 3pks a day.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Hampton Inn & Suites Mystic
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#9 of 13 in Mystic

Been to Hilltop Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!