“The price is right!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Marblehead, Massachusetts
“The price is right!”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

My husband and I travel to Connecticut twice a year. Usually April and November. All our stays have been at the Hilltop. The rooms are spacious, clean, quiet and the price is right! We get a king sized bed room. I believe the weekday rate to be under $75. In November, one of the nights we stay is a Friday, so we pay the weekend rate, but it's far from astronomical.
Breakfast, available every morning, consists of a variety of cereals, bagels, english muffins, hard boiled eggs, "make your own" waffles, fruit, coffee, tea and juice. All for free. Enjoy it in the breakfast room or bring it back to your own.
We've never taken the shuttle service as we like being able to come and go as we please. Instead we take our own vehicle to the casinos. It's a straight run and takes only 15-20 minutes.
The staff is nice and friendly. Never have we experienced any wild or loud parties or had to complain to the staff regarding such.
We will be repeat customers for a long time to come.

Room Tip: Whenever I stay at a 2 level establishment, I always prefer the 2nd level. I find it quieter than be...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Needham, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel twice (Once in a suite and once in a regular room) now and come to the same conclusion... The cost to stay here is just not worth it. To break it down to the basics...

Pros:
- Fairly clean
- Friendly shuttle driver
- Good shuttle service
- Decent free breakfast

Cons:
- Really overpriced on weekends for being so VERY basic.
- No microwaves/mini fridge in regular rooms.
- No microwaves in suites.
- All stairs no elevators and all rooms are entered from outside.
- 1 Vending machine (Soda Only) and its outside.
- Uncomfortable beds/pillows.
- Non hypoallergenic detergent used (My wife got a rash both visits!)
- Tiny bathrooms/showers with no water pressure in regular rooms.
- No pool.

Conclusion: Don't stay here unless your getting a regular room for a really good price. Suites are nice but way too expensive for being a small upgrade from regular. Try to find a cheaper hotel with more basics.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the ground floor so your not going up and down the stairs.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JoshL88

Travelers are raving about these North Stonington hotels

Needham, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is a clean hotel. Needs some more work like mini refrigerators and microwaves in the room. It's very nice and I have stayed here once before but I made a comment about how they should use hypoallergenic detergent on the blankets, sheets and towels. No one seems to get the message and I'm sick of getting an allergic reaction so I probably won't be coming again. If you have allergey's like me.. go somewhere else.

The shuttle driver is very nice and on time when she picks you up from Foxwoods. Some of the other staff is nice but most can be kinda rude,

Room Tip: The suite is the best room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hanover
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Foxwoods says they are always booked. They are saving rooms for players with points. so you have to go to the bellisimo or the Hilltop.
They are over priced, and the rooms are very underwhelming. The shuttle is nice and the continental breakfast is just fair.
If you have the money I paid like $350. and no place to go. Don't expect much. Lots of loud party goers in the middle of the night

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Southington, Connecticut
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My mother and I decided to take a weekend vacation to westerly, Rhode Island. We booked a motel near by the beaches (The Sand Dollar Inn). When we got to the motel it was so gross!! The smell alone was enough but that was nothing until we saw all the little bugs crawling around. The owners were the most terrible people, blaming us for bringing in bugs!! lol We packed up right away around 10 pm at night and left to go look for a better hotel. After driving around for over an hour we stumbled upon the hilltop inn and suites. Luckily they had rooms available. We went into the room and it was so clean. The room had two large comfortable queen beds, flat screen tv, a safe, and a large table. I slept so good that night! In the morning I went down to the lobby and they had tables and free breakfast which was nice. They served coffee, tea, juices, bagels, eggs, waffles, bacon, and muffins. I am so glad I stayed there, I will defiantly be going back this summer. And best of all it is only a short 15 mins to the westerly beaches.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
NYC / London
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed here for a show at Foxwoods. First impressions were it was a lot more modern that expected and immaculately clean. The staff were friendly and caring even down to the bus drivers. I found the beds were comfy and in general it has everything you need. This is a wonderful 'family run' feel hotel and definitely worth the money. There's a restaurant over the road and strip mall all within walking distance if you're staying longer.

Cons were very few but it I was being picky (only stayed for one night) I thought the coffee was awful tasting, the worst I've had from a hotel room setup (they do have some in reception) and I found the walls slightly thin too but not the worst.

Overall if you want to save a heap of $ and don't mind being around 10 minutes out don't hesitate with this place!

Room Tip: We had a room on the top level. I'd chose this so you don't hear people stomping around
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed here new years eve. The people at the front desk were all very kind. The shuttle service is excellent! The rooms were just average. The walls were very thin. They were very clean and well kept but they do not come with an iron, refrigerator, or microwave. They did however give us a complimentary bottle of champagne and glasses to ring in the new year which I thought was very cute! It's a good hotel to stay at if you are just there to sleep and will be spending most of your time elsewhere. I would definitely stay here again. The only suggestions I would have for the hotel management is maybe at least get some refrigerators in the rooms, and some vending machines (there were none but they did have a few snacks to buy at the front desk)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
#4 of 5 in North Stonington
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#10 of 13 in Mystic

Been to Hilltop Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!