“Very Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Haven
Hamden, CT
“Very Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2007

My wife and I needed a place to stay for a night near home while a repair was being done at our house, so we picked this hotel. What a nice surprise. First, the staff, from desk people, to maids and maintenace people, to the restaurant staff, were all pleasant, effeicient and helpful (one maid went out her way to hold open a door for us). Second,, the place is kept immaculate and has terrific common areas, A beautiful central courtyard with gazebo, a patio off the large and clean indoor pool, and well maintained lobby. Third, the resaurant food was quite good. The rooms are standard and well-equipped. Carpets a bit old-fashioned, but that is only a minor comment. The only problem at all is that the kitchen was slow, although I gathered that that evening was busier than normal. But the food was the right temperature when it arrived, and, as mentioned, was well-prepared and tasty. For basically a highway hotel, it is a great stopping point and the pool makes it nice for families. There are several restaurants within a mile or so in each direction.

3 Thank Papa11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2007

Booked my stay through a bid on Priceline for a total price below the listed low price.

The grounds are lovely and well maintained. My room was on the 2nd floor and had a peaceful view of a wooded lot. Clean room -- comfortable bed. Staff was "Connecticut courteous" -- don't expect the warmth of the midwest/south. The exercise room had several machines that were not functioning -- only one treadmill was in working condition -- but the room is available 24h/day. There is a small indoor pool.

Internet access is FREE (if you bring a laptop) through a DSL cable in each room. There are also computers with printers in the lobby and wireless access is available in the lobby.

The hotel restaurant/lounge was large and the food was above average for 2 star hotel dining. The servers were friendly.

No free continental breakfast, but there is free coffee in the lobby and free copies of USA Today are available for guests.

The location of the hotel is close to 91 and close to restaurants/shopping of North Haven.

• Liked — Clean, quiet room. Nice view from window.
  • Disliked — No elevator! Older travellers/disabled must ask for 1st floor room!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank geri_gal
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2007

The front desk staff was a little bit of a put-off but once you get past that step, the property itself is gorgeous! Several outdoor sitting areas, one with a gazebo, indoor pool, exercise room. Houlihan's restaurant is on the property and there are also several other restaurants within walking distance.

• Liked — Indoor and outdoor decor
  • Disliked — Front desk staff
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BillT2
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2006

This was my first time staying at a Holiday Inn, so I don't know what it's usually like, but our experience was a great one. True, there is no elevator service but the hotel was clean and the staff was efficient (not necessarily friendly) so what more could we ask for?

Our room was clean, the bathroom was kept well stocked with soaps and shampoo, the towels were bleached brilliant and we even had an ironing board and iron on hand for any wrinkle emergencies. We came on the wedding night of one couple and suffered through a lil hallway noise from some *cheery* attendants from the wedding. But our walls were thick enough for it to only be a slight nuisance.

Downstairs: A small excercise room with no-frills, basic machines and mirrors along the walls. This room was available to guests 24 hours a day. They also have an indoor pool (I'm not sure how deep) open until 11pm, and a space in the courtyard that looked like a garden. A nice peaceful little spot. Oh, and they have free parking as well. There's a pair of computers in the lobby with free internet access. I discovered that the rooms each have internet access via your t.v. but it's about $10 or $20 to access it.

Dining: They have a wonderful in-house restuarant (the name escapes me...it starts with an H though) that offers up some delicious meals and cocktails. All things considered, I'd have to say this was one of my best hotel experiences.

2 Thank Hisgirlmonday2
Northeast
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2004

I ended up staying here for a family reunion. First off, when I pulled up to the hotel, I was shocked. It looks like a dinky little hotel on the side of the highway next to a Roy Rogers. I went inside and let me tell you, it looks better inside then it does outside. Our room was clean, but the air conditioner had an musty smell coming out of it. It was also on the second floor and just to let you all know (THERE ARE NO ELEVATORS!!!!). How on earth can you even MAKE a hotel that has more than one floor and not put in elevators. When my daughter met me in the lobby after I arrived and told me that there were no elevators, I looked at the girl at the front desk and said....Is she joking, you dont have any elevators? The girl answered very nastily and said...NO! I then was really ticked off and responded to her by saying, well you see in NJ our hotels have elevators so, you'll have to excuse me!! I then walked away and had to carry the biggest luggage that I own up a lengthy flight of stairs to my room. Thank God my daughter was with me to help me. The restaurant there is not bad and the sevice was good. They have an excersice room that consists of two treadmills, a stairmaster, and a few free weights. The pool was ok, but my cousin said that it had too much chlorine in it. Housekeeping staff very nice. One girl went the extra mile to make sure that we always had what we needed...wish that I had gotten her name. Bottom line, this is not a bad hotel, but they do have some issues. If you just need a clean place to lay your head...its not a bad choice.

• Stayed August 2004
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank angelgurl
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2004

Hard time deciding whether to say this hotel was Okay or just Terrible. Hotel and rooms were shabby especially for a Holiday Inn. Ongoing renovations are much needed. Desk Staff pleasant and friendly however rest of staff attitude bordered on the morose. The lounge was a big disappointment. Pool area overrun with children's birthday parties going on. Friends who stayed with us and went for breakfast in hotel could not get food or service and left without eating. Attemped to overcharge for a 3 night stay instead of one, however problem resolved by contacting Holiday Inn Corp. Stayed over Yale Graduation w/end and this place was definately not worth the $200 per night fee. Would be hard pressed to recommend to anyone staying in New Haven area.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2003

The stay itself was OK -- not great, but OK. But they overcharged my credit card by $111 and refused to do anything about it. The acknowledged the charge was incorrect, but said the hotel was under new ownership and they couldn't refund my money because the overcharge occurred before the hotel was sold. They gave me the number of the old owners, who also refused to help.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#3 of 3 in Hamden
Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale
Courtyard New Haven Wallingford
Courtyard New Haven at Yale

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS North Haven Hotel? Share your experiences!