“Terrific staff”

Best Western Plus North Haven Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Haven
Reviewed December 4, 2011

As the result of a major construction project at our home, we spend 34 days here. We stayed in a reasonably priced two-room suite, which although not luxurious, was extremely comfortable and well-maintained. We have traveled extensively and have never had hotel staff as attentive. Every even minor problem or request was handled within minutes. The restaurant staff was also attentive and eager to please. This hotel offers a convenient location, good value and truly exceptional service.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
HINHManager, General Manager at Best Western Plus North Haven Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2011

Dear RalphSharon;

It was our pleasure having you as our guests during your home renovations. I thank you for taking the time to complete the TripAdvisor survey. I know it was frustrating for you as the renovations took a little longer than you hoped. There is no place like home.

I thank you for acknowledging the hotel and Harry's staff as attentive. We have a good caring team here and try to provide excellent service.

I know you won't have sleeping needs but stop in at Harrys and say hi!

Reviewed November 6, 2011

We haven't even been in the hotel for more than 24 hours and already having issues. They are super expensive, and at first glance it is nice. Then you realize they are charging $10 just for a refrigerator ( I have never been asked to pay to use a fridge.) We decide to go to the ice machine and discover that there is mold growing in the bucket. On the way back to the room we discovered that about 60-70% of the ceiling tiles are covered in mold and poorly hidden with a bad paint job. As much as they charge you would think they could at least replace the tiles.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank whenfrogsfly82
HINHManager, General Manager at Best Western Plus North Haven Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2011

Dear Whenfrogsfly, from reading your comments I believe you are still in the hotel. If that is the case please call me at 860-608-0484 as I would like the opportunity to speak with you and assist if possible. Or you can call the Front Desk and ask for Lisa or a Manager on Duty.

We are in the process of many improvements starting next week such as renovating bathrooms and finishing the installation of a new roof. Please know that it is not mold on the ceiling tiles however some tiles got stained from water damage due to the Hurricane we recently experienced. We are in the process of changing them out to new tiles. We recently installed new 42inch TV and this past week added HD channels. The team and I are excited as shortly we will have a new lobby area as well!

I look forward to speaking with you and hopefully I can catch you before you leave.

Reviewed November 5, 2011

We were forced to move to a hotel during the October 2011 New England storm. We found the hotel to be very nice, with good amenities and in a good location for restaurants, etc. More importantly, the staff was extremely helpful in finding accommodations for us as we negotiated for rooms in an area where there were very few to be had. I have nothing but high praise for the staff, who were exceptionally professional and friendly.

Room Tip: The smoking rooms, which we were forced to stay in due to the high demand, are smoking rooms, but th...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Dear AlbertDiC, Thank you for taking the time to write a good review. It has been a hectic week with loosing power and I am glad you did get yours back.

I appreciate you acknowledging the staff as I know my staff work hard as a team this past week as we had employees who also did not have power but showed up for work and some had to stay longer hours due to the spike in occupancy. We have been receiving great comments about the team.

I am lucky to work with such a dedicated team!

Reviewed November 4, 2011

We were very fortunate to find a room at the Holiday Inn in North Haven after losing power at our home. The staff there was terrific, particularly JOANNA, who was working at the Front Desk in the evenings. She went above and beyond to keep us comfortable, and to make sure our room was just right. The hotel itself needs some serious physical refurbishing, but the rooms are very clean, and that is most important to us. So I gave it five stars because of Joanna's EXCELLENT customer service, the hard work of the housekeepers, and Harry's Sports Grill. Thank you for making a difficult week after the snowstorm a lot better!
Connie and Curtis Hill

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
HINHManager, General Manager at Best Western Plus North Haven Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2011

Dear Mr. and Mrs. HIll, Thank you Thank you!

It was been a challenging week in Connecticut as so many have lost power as well as many of our employees. Yet evereyone showed up for work and some worked longer shifts due to the spike in occupancy and phone calls requesting rooms.

Joanna is one of those employees! She worked on Sunday--her day off for nine hours without question. She recently joined our team and in a short time she has been promoted to Front Desk Supervisor as her energy is contagious!

I enjoy working with her and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully, you have power as I went three days without power and couldn't wait for that hot shower!

Thanks Again!

Reviewed October 27, 2011

Myself and a coworker were on the way back to Newington after a meeting in Bridgeport, We insisted that we would find some wings and although we'd never been before something told us to give Harry's a try.

When we got there, not only were the wings - and the rest of our meal - masterfully cooked (thanks to Chef James, we were later told), but the staff was extremely warm and did a great job of making us feel comfortable. Donna (the manager), Patty (our server), and Liz (the bartender) kept us entertained and treated us as though we were regulars.

While neither myself or my coworker live even close to the area we will definitely take advantage of our Lunch Rewards cards.

We didn't stay in the hotel, but if the staff is as accommodating and friendly as those manning the Sports Grill it definitely speaks wonders for your business.

Keep up the good work,
Patrick Williams

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
HINHManager, General Manager at Best Western Plus North Haven Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2011

Dear Patrick! "AMAZING!!"

Now that is a good word to hear and read! Thank you for writing a response and I appreciate you acknowledging the great team I work with!

Actually Chef James recently joined our team and this is not the first compliment I have received regarding his cooking. Next time try his Clam Chowder. Donna has been with Harrys for a while and treats the guests as she would in her own home. She is a natural. Patty and Liz work our day staff and are very friendly.

We are glad you enjoyed your meal and we hope to see you soon!
Thanks on behalf f the Harrys Team!

Reviewed October 26, 2011

I wish I could write a review detailing my experience at the Holiday Inn North Haven. However, we didn't even make it that far. The staff at Holiday Inn was supposed to block rooms for the weekend of my upcoming wedding. When guests began to call the staff at Holiday Inn told my guests that they had never heard of my wedding and had no block. My guests were treated quite rudely. After some investigation we found that the hotel still had over 100 vacancies but they refused to acknowledge our wedding or the discounted price that was offered to us. I had specific dealings with Mike and Corrine and found them to be very unhelpful and unpleasant. At this point we have contacted other hotels and have prices quoted from the two Marriott Hotels in Wallingford for half the price of the Holiday Inn in North Haven. Because of there unyielding attitudes and blatant disregard for customer service I will be sure to always mention the Holiday Inn North Haven is the place NOT to stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VictoriaG458

Dear Victoria,

Thank you for your feedback. I am Lisa who you spoke with on the phone. As we discussed there was a misunderstanding as we did not have a signed contract from you to hold a block of rooms.

I am glad that I was able to offer you the suite at a reduced rate to make sure you had a special day. I was there Sunday and was hoping ot have the opportunity to meet you but I am sure you were busy with guests.

I am glad I was able to help you and I hope you had a great wedding!

Reviewed October 24, 2011

Stayed at the Holiday Inn after attending a wedding nearby. The hotel was clean, the room was typical Holiday Inn, nothing fancy but good for the price. The exception was Harrys sports bar. The bar was great, good service both in the evening and for the breakfast buffet. Donna the manager came over to our table to make sure things were ok. The food was also very good.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
HINHManager, General Manager at Best Western Plus North Haven Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2011

Dear Dan H,

I appreciate you responding on TripAdvisor. More so I am happy you enjoyed the wedding and your stay with us. Harrys is a great place to relax and unwind or to start your day off with a hearty breakfast.

Donna was been with our team for quite some time and she is defintitely an asset to the Holiday Inn of North Haven and Harrys. We hope you stop in again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Haven
Courtyard New Haven Wallingford
New Haven Village Suites
New Haven Village Suites
#5 of 12 in New Haven

Been to Best Western Plus North Haven Hotel? Share your experiences!