“Average”

Dining options: Reservations
new haven, ct
“Average”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I have gone to the North Haven branch of Longhorn four or five times now (I haven't gone to any others to compare it).

I'll start by saying that I am not a huge fan of most chain restaurants - particularly of Olive Garden, which I found less than mediocre, nor Red Lobster, which - in an area known for seafood - survives despite being overpriced and serving previously frozen fish and shellfish. As Longhorn is the triplet to this trio when I was given Red Lobster gift cards I started using them here as I can get more to eat more times than at Red Lobster (and I can get better, cheaper lobster and seafood at just about any stand in southern connecticut).

The first time I visited this Longhorn I was fairly impressed by the lunch steak. In my subsequent visits, always during low times when there was no wait and virtually no one in the place, the food has been fine - nothing spectacular, but certainly tasty enough (to be honest no beef can compare with what is served at the Rosticceria at the Fairway Market in Stamford - a supermarket but worth a drive, believe me - they don't have an entry here in Trip Advisor so this is my backdoor way of getting it in!).

My one issue is with the service. Because I was alone three of the four times I was seated near the bar and distinctly got the feeling that because I was alone I did not merit any kind of prompt attention. Very slow service. I don't recall it being quite so bad when I was there as part of a duo.

It is annoying when I finish my free-refill tea or soda with half a plate of food to go and they come by to refill it when I'm done eating, fifteen or twenty minutes later. Note to staff: I don't want another diet coke as my dessert, Keep an eye on my glass - there's no one else in the place, and if Denny's can do it, darn it if you can't!

• Visited February 2012

Connecticut
“Great food and service!!!!!!”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

My husband and I live in close proximity to the North Haven Longhorn Steakhouse. We have been going here since they opened and have always had great food and service. We go to lunch there frequently on Fridays and our requested server "George" is the Best!!!!!!! George makes excellent food selection suggestions and is friendly,courteous and attentive to his tables throughout your entire meal. Food always out speedy,hot,and cooked to perfection. The draft beers are served so cold in their ice cold mugs. We also go to dinner often with our two kids ages 10 and 11 and they too love the food selections and we feel that the servers at Longhorn are very patient and friendly to the kids who love to dine out with us. Very clean atmosphere....great food and service.

• Visited June 2012
Hamden, Connecticut, United States
“Love this place!!”
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Best steak house around these parts--good food, good price, nice surrounding as it's only a few years old. Right on/off the freeway too, very simple to get to, lots of seating. My steak has been perfectly cooked and hot!! Hot! Name any other place that gets your steak to you hot with a hot baked potato too. The service is absolutely excellent, with waiters who know how to serve and not to hover and interrupt. Friendly smiles as you enter and leave. They get all our business now. Went for my husband's birthday.

Visited February 2012
Meriden, Connecticut
“Bade Vibes from Minute One”
Reviewed February 23, 2012

I love steaks, so was pleased that a friend wanted to go here: she raved about the Shelton branch. Upon entering I was shocked to see only two small benches provided for the large number of people waiting, but figured, Hey, the place must be OK. But I began to have doubts when the 20 minute wait time increased to 40 minutes. Once seated I was stuck - literally! The table was coated with a sticky substance; moreover, I had to wait 20 minutes before we were approached by our server. By the time it was finally clean, I wanted to leave.

The service was lamentable: our steaks took 50 minutes to arrive, and my rice never came at all. The waitress had quite an attitude, too, but it miraculously thawed when it was time for us to leave the tip. The steaks were OK, although mine was heavily peppered. (When I protested, I was told, 'You should have known that, as it came with a wine sauce.' HUH???)

The final report: we had entrees and dessert for three people. It took 2 hours, 20 minutes for us to be served, not counting the wait outside. I was looking for a manager the whole time so I could complain, but none was in evidence in all that time, and I'm not surprised. The rest rooms were disgustingly filthy, and the restaurant was half empty by that time! My advice would be to visit Shelton, as this place should be closed!!

• Visited February 2012
Connecticut
“Good Food and Fair Prices”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Used gift certificates from the holidays for a mid-week visit to Longhorn. We were very pleased with the service, pricing and selection. A budget-minded carnivore can do very well here. Sirloin and rib-eye were tasty and cooked to perfection. Salads and side dishes were ample and the service was prompt. Be aware that they get very busy and the place can get quite loud, but the food is really worth a bit of noise.

• Visited January 2012