“magnificent, lovely, warm,home away from home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Summerstrand
Margate Place Guest House
Ranked #12 of 43 Summerstrand B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 8, 2010

It all started with the warm welcome, and the place itself was so amazing, nice, quiet, warm, homely, the staff there were so friendly, from the cleaners to the lady called Debbie, all i can say is WOW! I really wish I could certainly extend my stay but had to go back to JHB,

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed August 20, 2010

I make a yearly trip to PE for Ironman. Saying at Margate Place has become part of the whole amazing experience for me. It's a quiet place to relax, a friendly place to invite friends to, it's comfy and personal. I rate the whole Margate team.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 20, 2010

We traveled to PE for the World Cup and Margate House fulfilled our needs. The breakfasts are really good and it was nice that it had a kitchenette. We had children so we stayed in the adjoining family room 6&7. The style is definitely not trendy, more functional with a Home Depot design feel. I guess my tepid response is due to the fact that we paid quite a bit for the rooms (they really increased their prices for the World Cup and we had to pay for 3 nights even though we were only staying 2... we didn't have a lot of choices so we agreed). By comparison the other places we stayed in SA for around the same price... were so much nicer. So I would recommend Margate House if you get a good rate. The people are really nice and the accommodations are functionally comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Margate_Place, Owner at Margate Place Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2010

I, the owner of Margate Place Guest House, would like to respond to the comments “It’s ok” , made by the above client.

1. “Pay for three nights while staying for two”:
We had a minimum three night stay policy during the World Cup period – similar to that of MATCH, the official booking agency of Fifa – as the matches played in Port Elizabeth were all three days apart from one another. This client suggested, out of her own, that she would make the three day reservation, although she would only be staying for two nights. She made the reservation a year in advance, at that stage there was still plenty of accommodation available in Port Elizabeth. It is thus totally untrue to say that she had no other choice than to take the three night booking.

2. “Paid quite a bit ……. They increased their prices for the World Cup”
It is indeed true that we increased our prices for the World Cup, yet it was still substantially cheaper than reservations made through MATCH. The reason for increasing our rates was not to make huge profits, but to be able to pay for increased services – for example increased no. of staff. Please note that this was a group of five people, occupying two interleading units with two kitchenettes, two bathrooms, two lounge areas, three TV’s, with private entrances and a private courtyard / barbeque area – for R500 pp per night, including a lovely buffet breakfast. One cannot compare these rates to other places in S.A. which were not host cities to the World Cup.

3. “The style of décor is not trendy, more functional with a home depot feel”
My only response is that we are a four star graded establishment. The décor is intended to be homely, as per our detailed website. We do, however, agree that taste differs.

In conclusion: We appreciate the positive comments made by the client. We just felt it necessary to respond to some of the other comments made by her. Margate Place has been occupying the no. 2 position of all the accommodation establishments of this nature in Port Elizabeth. It is indeed sad that this client’s comments have now taken us four spots down to the no. 6 position, but we will no doubt soon be moving up again!

Reviewed July 8, 2010

Stayed 3 weeks in rooms # 4 and 6. Clean, spacy, comfortable, safe. Felt like at home. Cornell and Debbie, gonna miss you and your marvelous guesthouse. Unfortunately did not have too much time to explore more - was too busy working at the World Cup. The major asset of PE is people. I keep saying that here in Russia. Friendly, smiling, people who eager to help. I fell in love with PE, I remember everyday I spent in a city and in Margate Place. Thank you so much. Dream of going back...

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 21, 2010

Margate Place is my home from home. I travel to PE at least 6 times per year where I stay over night and sometimes for more than one night. I see Margate Place as my second home which make my traveling to the Eastern Cape something to look forward to. The staff has always made me feel as I am an honored guest it is something that all the guest will experience on arrive at Margate Place. Cornel, Debbie and Staff, thanks you for making my stay in Port Elizabeth memorable – every time all the time

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 9, 2010

Debbie was very helpful with directions and how to get around. She recommended and booked a day trip for us. Debbie is kind and helpful and does a very good job. Margate Place Guest House is in a good location, secure, private, clean, safe lock-up parking, quiet, equipped with everything you will need for an enjoyable stay.

We stayed in PE for about 1 month and had to check-out and return as they had previous bookings. Dec.21-28 (7 nights) we stayed in Unit 6 (upstairs) which had been renovated, fresh paint etc. so it was fresh and clean. The bathroom was new and in good working order and great water pressure. The bed was comfortable. Private patio and BBQ. Both units had everything you could need in a self-catering kitchenette, they thought of everything. Great.
The TV's are too small & old.
Jan.5-17 (12 nights) we stayed in Unit 8 which has it's own private entrance and courtyard. The family room was a good size. The bathroom had poor water pressure. The bathroom sink taps needed repair or replacing (which they said they would fix). If they keep up on repairs and renovations it will continue to be great.

The pool area was nice, however the pool refreshment hut was not opened.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2010

This is a good location hotel and everything BUT our vacation was very much disturbed by the landlady going on and on about how the blacks and the coloured people were useless
(right in front of her own black "servants"). We felt very uncomfortable about this and told her so, but when we disagreed she was agitated.
Also there was mud and rocks in her pool from the neighbour´s drilling project and she
1, did not ask about how her guests were doing without the pool but only compalined to us over and over again about how expensive this was going to be for her.
2, when we comforted her that the damage would probably be covered by the neighbour or his insurance, she once again showed her racial side and concluded " well he is jewish, I can´t expect a penny from him!!!

Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business