“Very good place away from the maddening crowd.”

Pine Lodge Resort & Conference Centre
Jeffreys Bay, South Africa
“Very good place away from the maddening crowd.”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I booked 2 back to back units with an interleading door for my family and in-laws Dec 2012.that is a perfect setup for large families, the stay was very refreshing .staff very friendly and rooms very clean.only issue was the low hung ceiling fans in the rooms.I hope to return soon but this time book into 1 of the 2 honeymoon suites, the location and seaview (weather permitting) is to die for.
The facilities for kids are excellent,2 nights is all we had we will come back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
DaleTucker_za, Marketing at Pine Lodge Resort & Conference Centre, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for you review. Did you know Pine Lodge Resort has a 14 day Holiday Programme every December? We have great fun offering games, crafts, competitions that include young and old. Pine Lodge Resort offers a fantastic Christmas Lunch and fun in the sun on our beaches and at our pool.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
East London, South Africa
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We only spend one night on the way back from Tsitsikamma and it was not enough. There is so much to do there, especially if you have small children. The Chalets are clean and lovely. Only problem is the monkeys!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Charis G
Thank you for your wonderful comments. At Pine Lodge we cater for all age groups and do our best to make sure the little one's are kept busy. As we border the Cape Recife Nature Reserve,we find there is little we can do about the Monkeys. Our surroundings and the "visitors" that inhabit them all add to the ambience of our coastal resort. We look forward to having you back for a longer stay to expierence all.
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This place is horribly run down, old, smelly, dirty and disgusting. Wish I could share the photos I have as proof. There is no way they can justify paying R790 for a run down chalet with paper thin, tattered, stained and ragged towels, torn bed linen, carpets are dirty, old and worn. Walk ways are poorly lit, a hazard, the bricks are loose and steps are dangerous and cannot be used, i had to jump down and up with my luggage. On arrival i was place in the furtherest chalet away in the bush, it was late at night and dark, no one had bothered to turn the lights on or offered any kind of assistance. I felt very scared and uncomfortable to say the very least, especially when I was told to turn the alarm off and there is an emergency panic button. I don't even have this in my own home, so there is clearly an issue that requires such security measures. When I tried to check out to move to a much better place the next morning I was told I had to pay 100% for the 2nd night and 50% the 3rd night. Once you are there they dont let you leave, clearly this is how they make their money. They didn't not care that as a single female i felt unsafe, uncomfortable and disgusted but the state of the place! No customer service to speak of either. The food is so below standard, my 8yr old nephew cooks a better meal. Conference facilities are just as basic and run down. The ladies toilets were very really cleaned, ran out of toilet paper and paper towels to dry hands. Staff is very rarely seen. Will never go near this place again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Leisha77
DaleTucker_za, Manager at Pine Lodge Resort & Conference Centre, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Thank you for your review. I appreciate any and all feedback about our Resort - it's the only thing that helps us improve as an establishment.. We have a constant refurbishment programme that sees all our rooms being completely upgraded every 3 years. Unfortunately the room that you stayed in is up for refurbishment during the next 6 months but over 50 our rooms have undergone this refubishment. We also have a linen replacement programme in place so I must apolgise for the linen you received. As for the security and alarms, we do our best to listen to our guests and meet their requests. The alarms are there for our guests peace of mind and not as an indication of the security of our Resort. In addition, the button in your room is not a panic button but merely a way for our guests to let us know if there is something we can assist with 24hours a day. During your stay we were extremely busy with no vacant rooms available. During these busy times we have no choice but to apply our cancellation policy. During quiet periods we do not apply it. Your comments are well taken and I will do my best to ensure that they are addressed. Thank you again for your feedback.
Somerset West, South Africa
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I would like to tell people that this place has run down terribly.
The rooms are Tatty and Old the Buildings and walkways terrible.
I feel unsafe they have Taxis busing people in There are just noisy people all over the Place.

They charged be over R800,00 for a single room and it is the worst place i have stayed in for a long time!!!

I dont feel my Car is safe i had to Park it in a Dark alley.

I came here for peace and quiet i could have stayed at The City Lodge at R495,00 on empty Beds I should have.

Gutted to be ripped off for this!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank George D
It is extremely distressing to hear that you has such a bad esperience! During the time of your stay, Port Elizabeth hosted the Annual ANC Conference and as such the whole town was full of visitors. Pine Lodge itself was full with these visitors as well and that would unfortunately have contributed to the noise levels within the resort. We do apologise for this. As for the state of the rooms, we do have a refurbishment programme that is continuously underway. Unfortunately, due to the size of the Resort and the location so close to the sea, sometimes the elements do get the better of us. I sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you just why so many of our guests return on a regular basis.
Paarl, South Africa
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Spent 4 nights at resort during April school holidays. At least they are honest with their 3 star rating, because that's certainly the case.
They have nice play facilities for the kids, and resort could certainly offer more, but unfortunately the accommodation is in desperate need of repair/refurbishment. Rooms are old, outside braai areas feel dirty and are certainly not very pleasant to use.
We were fairly happy to leave!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments - I'm sorry to hear that your stay with us was not up to your expectations.The activities on theResort are constantly being upraded and now include amongst others, Donkey Cart rides to the Lighthouse, Ziplines, a Clumbing Wall and a High-Ropes course. All of which are available to our guests. During the December holidays we run a full-time holiday and entertainment programme for our guests free of charge and would invite you - should you decide to stay with us again - to try us then. Our regular guests absolutlely love it! Our rooms and facilities also undergo a cycle of maintenance and we have just finished about 40 rooms - complete with new linen, etc. with the next 40 planned for 2014. Being so close to the sea does pose it's challenges for our ouside maintenance efforts, but your comments about the braais are well taken and we will look into them. We look forward to (hopefully) hosting you again soon.
Wilderness, South Africa
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Realy enjoyed camping there. Nice ablutions and friendly, helpfull staff. Very safe and peacefull.
Close enough to the city and main beaches and shopping.Camping sites are very sheltered and private.We did not look at the cabins but they seem to be very nice. Also a nice restaurant.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jodomo
Thank you for the positive feedback. We are so glad that you enjoyed your time with us. Pine Lodge always aim to put our guests first and look forward to your return.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The perfect venue for Ironman PE for the family - set in a peaceful nature reserve away from the madding crowd, but only a 3 min drive to transition!
Spent 4 nights there around the Ironman in 2013. Wife and 2 small kids - the perfect setting for a family, particularly if you are racing and they are spectating - the resort has a pool/play structure/coastal walking path/beach/trampoline/2 restaurants/safe paths to ride bikes/basketball court and play lawn etc - it is on the race course (bike and run), but away from the craziness of the main beachfront precinct, so your family can choose to stay there and watch you come past, or they can go to the transition area as they like . On race day, Marine Drive is blocked off, but the resort has a small backroad access through the university that they have arranged with the local municipality, that gives them complete access throughout the day between the resort and transition, and there is hardly any traffic on that sector, so you can come and go as you please. As soon as Marine Drive is closed on race day, the back university gate is opened up. The other side of town, i.e. La Roche/Strandfontein etc are a complete nightmare on race day and pre race day, so this is a very welcome alternative - I had no traffic issues whatsoever between there and Boardwalk area on any day of my visit
Apart from the venue location, the staff are unbelievably helpful and accommodating - the manager on duty the day I arrived took me in his car to show me around and drive the route for me from resort to transition to plan my family's race day logistics. The manager on duty on race day ferried my family to and from the resort to transition using the backroad option along Marine Drive, which allowed them to watch me all day at transition, plus get back to put the small one to sleep at lunch time, and allowed me peace of mind on race day knowing they were taken care of
The staff at reception are also phenomenal - my room was not ready when I arrived at 8am, so they rushed to get it done by 11, then called me on my cell when it was done. The cleaning staff are friendly and accommodating
We booked a double cabin by the sea (3/4), which allowed us to have 3 bedrooms seperated by interleading doors, with 2 bathrooms and a shared kitchen - a great option for a family of 4 or more, where parents want their kids in seperate rooms - a lot nicer (and cheaper) for a family than sharing a single room with 2 beds in it at one of the hotel chains along the strip
Cost for the double cabin arrangement = R1150 per night
Overall - highly recommended place for anyone, but particularly for Ironman athletes and their families

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JIMBO C
Thank you for your kind words - they are highly appreciated! We've worked hard to ensure that our Resort is accessible ove the Ironman weekend so we are thrillled that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again at the 2014 Ironman.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Summerstrand
Radisson Blu Hotel, Port Elizabeth
#2 of 13 in Summerstrand
Paxton Hotel
Paxton Hotel
#8 of 33 in Port Elizabeth

Been to Pine Lodge Resort & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!