I was looking forward to staying at this hotel as Protea Hotels usually are of a high standard. However, what I experienced did not meet my expectations.
Check in was efficient, even though two of us requested different rooms to those we were originally booked into. However, the check in clerk did not inform me of hotel parking around the back of the hotel, so our car was parked in the street for the night. Also no porters were available to assist.
My room was fair sized and the crisp white bedding looked fantastic, and it was with the bed being very comfortable.
My bathroom was a very long narrow bathroom, which looked great till I switched on the light. I immediately spotted mould in the tile grouting and on the wall next to the bath. It appears as if someone tried to clean it, but was not succcessful, and just left it. The chipboard around the basin was also swollen and deformed. Chipboard in an environment that gets a lot of moisture??? Asking for trouble.
Room service was ok, but very pricey. 70 ZAR for burger and chips, no matter how good is a rip off in my mind.
Breakfast was the usual hotel buffet, but I had to wait halfway through my meal before I had to complain about not being offered coffee.
Both my colleagues had bad experiences as well.
Come on Protea Hotels you can do better than this
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Protea Hotel by Marriott Port Elizabeth Marine - Adding value, always. Among the superior beachfront hotels in Port Elizabeth, the 4-Star Protea Hotel Marine is unparalleled. Overlooking the sun-drenched sands of Pollock Beach, with sweeping views of Algoa Bay, this hotel, in the heart of the Friendly City, is renowned for its quality facilities, personal service and luxurious atmosphere. From the moment you enter the Protea Hotel Marine, you know you are in an exceptional establishment. The large reception area is elegantly decorated, offering the first taste of a stay that promises an unforgettable experience in comfort and style. Ideal for holidaymakers, families and executives alike, the 4-Star Protea Hotel by Marriott Port Elizabeth Marine offers luxurious accommodation in a range of comfortable en-suite rooms that boast spectacular sea views. Delicious meals can be enjoyed in the hotel restaurant and there are excellent conference facilities which can cater for 10 - 90 delegates. A secluded roof top splash pool for hot summer days overlooking the ocean, ideal for adults and kids to enjoy. The Protea Hotel by Marriott Port Elizabeth Marine is situated within walking distance of safe, sandy beaches, various swimming pools, a casino and entertainment complex, not to mention the Museum and Snake Park, and various sporting facilities, including golf. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cancelon, Priceline, Marriott, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Protea Hotel by Marriott Port Elizabeth Marine reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Hotel Port Elizabeth
- Protea Hotel By Marriott Port Elizabeth Marine Summerstrand