All reviewssea viewtour groupinternet connectionroom was largerestaurant stafflovely hotelhighly recommend this hotelsea frontbed was very comfortablean early flightboardwalk casinohotel is situatedacross the roadswimming poolone night staybuffet breakfastgarden route
Reviewed May 3, 2014

The last 2 nights of our travels were spent here. Super big family suite. Consistent across the group, aside for the over abundance of oily foods available at breakfast. Service there a little haphazard. Clean, comfortable and welcoming, what more could you want.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
PHMarine, General Manager at Protea Hotel Port Elizabeth Marine, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Dear GautengLad,

Thank you for the review and your feedback. In particular I am glad that you are sharing what you think we can improve upon. I have shared this with the rest of the TEAM so that when we welcome you back, you will have an even better experience.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

We stayed at the Marine Hotel in Port Elizabeth over the weekend of the 25th April and what an experience. The view was fantastic and the staff were so friendly and helpfull. Breakfast delicious and the overall experience very enjoyable.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
PHMarine, General Manager at Protea Hotel Port Elizabeth Marine, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear Jessemy67,

Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad that you were well-looked after and had a great time.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Friendly and helpful staff. Lovely location on beach front and can go walking along promenade. Excellent little restuarant next door to the hotel. Rooms clean and neat but could do with update. Did have problem opening room door which meant going all the way back to reception to get key card fixed.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
PHMarine, General Manager at Protea Hotel Port Elizabeth Marine, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Dear Genilocke, are you well?

Thank you very much for the kind comments, as we use our GUESTS' comments to know where we need to improve. We are indeed looking at doing some upgrading of some of our rooms during the course of the next year, so hopefully you will notice the difference when staying with us again.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

I stayed here for 9 nights for the Test match, South Africa v Australia. Easy to find when driving from the airport.

I was in an Executive room, 733 which had great views over parkland to the sea about 150 metres away and away to the right. A huge room with a King bed and a two seater settee and two large easy chairs - you could easily hold a meeting for say five in there very comfortably. A slight negative was the absence of a bath but the shower was very efficient. For some reason, I understand it is not company policy to have a bottom fitted sheet to the bed so the under sheet did tend to crumple a bit which didn't add to the nights sleep.

I like an early room make up which I asked for and this was honoured every day. I also like the fact that the supervisor? - Chantelle did a daily room check to see that everything had been done as it should - she was very helpful. The maintenance staff were prompt and efficient - Nelson & colleague

There is a nice large bar that overlooks the sea front - the large adjacent restaurant does good breakfasts and very nice buffet dinners - no a la carte. There is car parking at the front with more secure parking at the back which I preferred. Free WIFI is provided and there are two computers in the business centre accessed by your WiFi code. Plenty of nice settees near the business centre, just up the stairs from reception and I reckon a good part of the hotel had recently been re- carpeted.

The hotel has a brilliant location in my view in a very nice area. It is about 5 minutes from the Summerstrand shopping centre which whilst not large, has a Pick N Pay supermarket, newsagents and 2 liquor shops etc. It is about a 10 minute walk to the Boardwalk casino, theme type shops and numerous eateries. Pollock beach is about 150 metres away and is a truly lovely place to walk from early in the morning to when the sun sets. You can very safely walk along the front for about half an hour and it is a really nice walk.

I was there for the cricket and St Georges Park is about a 10 minute drive with easy parking very close to the ground. I found the hotel staff to be helpful and accommodating and apart from those already mentioned, Natasha - bar, Cherylanne -reception, the two Johann's and 'Training' - Bianca were all very good - hope Bianca now has her own name badge rather than just Training!

In summary, this is a very nice, comfortable hotel in a good area and helpful staff with the sea 150 metres away and good shops only 5 minutes away. I would be very happy to stay here again.

Room Tip: Go for a sea facing room - lovely views
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
PHMarine, General Manager at Protea Hotel Port Elizabeth Marine, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Hi Andrew B, I trust you are well.

Thank you very much for the staying with us during the past cricket test and for the giving us your feedback. This is important to us as it allows us to know where we can improve in our service to our GUESTS.

I will also share your great comments with the rest of the TEAM.

All the best,

Deleur Stander

PS: Yes, Bianca's name tag finally arrived...

Reviewed April 6, 2014

We stayed in the same room in 2008 as it is ideally located to watch the Iron Man which my son participates in. Needless to say the room remains high quality accommodation, neat, clean and tidy and very comfortable. The breakfast caters even for the fussiest health nut as well as those who want to really over indulge. Great hotel. Great vibe. PE rocks!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Hi Stephne A,

Thank you very much for staying with us during the Ironman weekend. It is great to hear that you had a good weekend and were well looked after.

We hope to welcome you back next year.