“Memorable 10th Year Function” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Coachman Restaurant

The Coachman Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 12 Restaurants in Summerstrand
Cuisines: European, Central European
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Despatch, Eastern Cape, South Africa
“Memorable 10th Year Function”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

Our company had their 10 Year Birthday Function here. What a perfect venue for our function!! The service was amazing, the waitresses dresses so smartly and they were so professional. We were about 80 guest, and they remembered every single person order for drinks, meals etc. It was the best food I have had in a very long time.

The next morning, I received so many emails, thanking me for organizing such an amazing function, and that they all enjoyed their evening.

But all the thanks go to George and his team for making our evening a memorable one.

I will definitively be going back there again very soon. Maybe for our companies year end function.

Cape Town
“A welcome respite from all the big franchise restaurants”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

The pepper fillet was pretty good - well presented and tasty, but the chips were absolutely perfect! My only slight grumble, was that I was dining alone, on a business trip. The table for one that I was given was smack in the middle of the restaurant, where everyone walks past. It just felt a bit awkward if you know what I mean... Otherwise, a really good restaurant - the decor and waitress outfits are unusual, but at least it sets the place apart from it's franchise neighbours.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
“Nice place, if a little weird”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Some colleagues and I came here for dinner and a few things are immediately apparent:

One, the interior decor is very strip-clubbish - a kind of intentional kitsch, but not done incredibly well.

Secondly, all the waitrons are young, attractive ladies dressed in ridiculous purple dresses (to match the decor, I suppose) and the clientele and staff are almost 100% white.

I only bring that last point up as it's not something you see much of in the rainbow nation anymore. I mean, not one of the front-of-house staff was a person of colour and my colleague was the only black patron in the rather busy dining room.

I'm not trying to make a statement or anything - but coming from Joburg, the scene was a little strange.

The food wasn't bad - I had the fillet with the brie and cranberry sauce. The sauce was a little overpowering, but the meat was well cooked and the onion rings were very good.

My colleagues only had starters, but all looked pretty acceptable and there were no complaints, but the smoked salmon and cream cheese starter is served roulade-style and on a cracker that is best described as a mini cheddar - i'm not sure it works.

The wine list was respectable, if a little pricey, but nothing that wouldn't be out of place in any other restaurant aimed at the upper reaches of steakhouse dining.

The service from our pretty purple-clad waitress was excellent and the front-of-house welcome was inviting - just as well, given the general appearance of the place as I've already mentioned.

PE seems to have suffered from a bit of a good restaurant exodus over the past couple of years, with the usual franchise rubbish taking up most of the choices on offer, so it's nice to see solid independent offering making it work in tough conditions.

2 Thank DelboyZA
Mossel Bay, South Africa
“Good food, bad dress code”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

Not a bad restaurant, with okay food.

What bothered us was the service and the way the waiters dressed. I was not impressed by the waiters cloths, dresses were too short, with spaghetti tops, not quiet what I expected.

Menus were old and need to be redone.

Other than that, the food is quiet nice.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank markfurness
London
“Very friendly, great atmosphere and good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

I took my wife there for a evening meal. The staff were incredibly friendly and the food was great. We sat on the balcony and the view was spectacular that evening. I would recommend it to everyone.

• Visited August 2013