“Incredible hosts, great atmosphere and perfect location!”

Beachwalk Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 43 Summerstrand B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Cliff, Leah and Alida a huge thank you for taking such care of our family during our 8 day stay at your amazing bed and breakfast. The rooms are beautifully appointed, gardens in fantastic shape and very welcoming pool. From the love and care put into those scrumptous breakfasts ...to sharing all the hot tips on where to eat, places to visit and areas to explore off the beaten track was most appreciated. We loved the easy walk to the beach, Boardwalk shopping Centre and restaurants in surrounding areas. Compliments on the the extra touches that were put in by Alida ... you are an absolute gem and perfect for this line of work. I have already told all our family and friends of your amazing bed and breakast. Oh yes ... and thanks to PE for putting on that incredible Fireworks display that took place on "opening of season". See you all in 2013!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
CliffordH, Owner at Beachwalk Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Hello Carla
Thank you so much for your great review. We're really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at Beachwalk and your time in Port Elizabeth - we've booked you in for next year ...... only kidding.
We loved having your family with us even if that 'nerve-end' husband of yours made me tired just watching him with all his activities - does he ever sit still?
We sincerely hope that you find the time to visit PE again, you will always be more than welcome at Beachwalk.
Kind regards & best wishes for 2013

Reviewed December 13, 2012

This is my first bad review EVER and if I am doing this is for the following reasons:

The B&B is very well located and staff are polite but it definitely does not correspond with a 4Stars standards AT ALL. It is hard to understand the ratings this place has been receiving in TripAdvisor!!

Room and bathroom were very modest and the windows were dirty (you can check the pics I have uploaded)...but above all, MOSQUITOS all night long made our stay something more than annoying.

But when things go bad, they can go worst, so in the morning when I pluged my one-month Google Nexus 4 cell phone and left it on the table for having a shower, you just can imagine how horrible my surprise was when I get back to the room ten minutes later and saw that the screen was tilting and doing funny things. Of course I cannot prove that the electrical installation is wrong, but we can talk of probabilities: if you pluge your new premium device (that has being worked perfectly in every...pluge - it sounds like a joke) and ten minutes later while it is still plugged is doing strange things, it is reasonable to think that, with the highest probabilities, there are problems with the electical installation. I did not ask the owner neither for my money back nor for the cell repair, but just to understand the obvious fact that had happened. However, he insisted once and again that the installation was good and that maybe my cell was not ok. Come on! That actitude really annoyed me. Maybe it was not the installation but a peak, but trying to avoid the problem by skiping it is the less proffesional attitude I could have received! And if you appreciate your gadgets, just imagine yourself in this situation, being treated like if nothing really important has happened and almost being suggested that it was my fault...

We paid for a 2Stars the price of a 4Stars, we did not rest well and left the place full of mosquito bites, with an spoiled cell and being treated with no professionality, because my feeling was that the owner did not care the least what happended, not to mention the untrue reaction he showed when he was told about the mosquito's nightmare we has had.

After theese things, what else could I add? Easy: Beach Walk was the WORST place in our two week stay in South Africa.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Javi_sin_apellidos
CliffordH, Owner at Beachwalk Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Dear Helena
I have read your comments and am obviously terribly concerned and upset, not only because of what you have written but because of the willful and vindictive manner in which you have gone about trashing my guest house simply because I didn’t agree with your pre-conceived accusations and submit to your threats.

I have spent the past four days contemplating my reply, refuting your allegations but in the end I have decided not to bring myself down to that level and have restricted my answer to the one paragraph that follows.

Your comment “it is hard to understand the ratings this place has been receiving in Tripadvisor” says it all – your attitude quite simply is that you know it all and everybody else is clueless. As far as you are concerned, “Beachwalk is the worst B&B in South Africa” and the 61 people who have rated us as excellent and the 17 who rated us as very good on Tripadvisor as well as the 42 who have rated us as “Superb” on Booking.com all have no idea what they are talking about, just as you know exactly what caused the fault on your phone and nobody else’s opinion counts at all! Please go back and read our reviews and you will notice that both I and my business operate in the utmost professional manner, with not a single bad review to date, simply because we take our guests complaints and comments very seriously and do everything in our power to ensure guest satisfaction, but this does not mean that I have to accept your bad behavior, your unfounded accusations or your blackmail!

I sincerely hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday and that your phone fixed itself.

Regards
Clifford
Ps. I notice that since your review, another clueless guest has enjoyed their stay at “the worst B&B in South Africa”, complete with its faulty electrics, terrible owner and its modest rooms with their mosquito infestation and dirty windows – I just wonder why none of them have ever mentioned these problems before or since your stay!

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Beachwalk Bed and Breakfast is a very nice place. We whish we would have stayed longer there!!!
The location is very close to the beach, and it has huge shopping mall in walking distance. The airport is also close by (10 min).
Cliff, Lea (Owner) and Alida (Manager), Franky and Angel (cute dogs) are so nice, and really made us feel home. I hardly recommend the Guest House as a hot tip in Port Elisabeth...

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
CliffordH, Owner at Beachwalk Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Hello Chris
Thanks for your review, we're pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Port Elizabeth is really great in that most places of interest are less than 15 minutes away. Little Angel is fast growing up to be a big girl but still as cute as ever - you'll have to come back to see!

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Although only staying one night at Beachwalk, I can honestly say that it was the best experience of B&B hospiltality in South Africa, we stayed at another 4 B&B's throughout the country and Beachwalk surpassed every one, not only in service but in hospitality and atmosphere!
Alida greeted us at the gate and was so helpful in pointing us in the direction of restaurants, beaches and shopping, all within walking distance. We didnt even have to look at any tourism books or pamphlets for ideas.
Our room was private, comfortable, clean and spacious, immediately welcoming.After travelling, one could only hope for a peaceful nights sleep - which is certainly what you get...and the breakfast was certainly one to die for - without a doubt 5 Star rating!
There was nothing more relaxing than lying beside the pool and enjoying the wonderfully landscaped garden and taking a refreshing swim, which although at a guest house, felt like it was a private getaway.
Cliff, Alida and Lea were so hospitible and friendly, they create a wonderful atmosphere and make it feel like you are home from the moment you step on the grounds. Thank you all for the best experience, we will certainly be coming back when next in South Africa.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi Rachel
Thank you so much for your detailed review of Beachwalk, it's really great for us to know that you enjoyed and appreciated the facilities and hospitality that we offer - mind you, with guests like you it's absolutely no effort at all. I really enjoyed our chat over breakfast and look forward to another visit - you folks must be all wrapped up in your winter woolies by now.
Best wishes.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

With recommention of friends we booked for our first night in SA this B&B. Not far from the airport (20min. drive) it is located next to the beach promenade of PE.
Alida greeted us very warm and made us feel welcome from the very first second.

At the check in Alida informed us, that the rate we booked has changed, because of the pre saison and the weekend we paid 90Rand less than what wee booked. Not only fair but very kind.

The room was nice, the size was good, everything was in a good shape. Still, we were the last guest in our room (last one on the right building) because of an ongoing renovation of all rooms.

Breakfast was excellent. Fresh fruit salad, cereals, toast etc. and a hot breakfast prepared at your order. I had the omlette "Mama size" - couldn't almost not finish it. Fresh ingridiences and very tasty.
When we left, eastwards towards Kenton on Sea, Alida gave us travel tips and her number, incase of anything happens to us we could call her for help, because she know people in that area to give us a hand if needed.

Five points not only for the beautifull rooms, but also for the image that they not rest on their pillows and try to keep the place up!

The restaurant tips from Alida were also great. We eat at Barneys, wich is a fantastic pub just 5 min walk at the promenade.

One bad point: We stayed just one night. Next time it will be more.

Room Tip: last room on the right side was fine for us, but the rest looked nice either
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
CliffordH, Owner at Beachwalk Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Hello Ducky from Ducktown ....... we had quite a job trying to work out exactly who you are but from the clues you gave us we hope we got it right, Dirk! We're glad you enjoyed Alida's hospitality and your stay with us. We also agree with everthing you said, especially the bad thing that you only stayed one night - you better make sure you don't make the same mistake next time!

Reviewed November 30, 2012

A Beautiful Guest House with a modern setting and only a few minutes walking away from the beach and good restaurants. It is a well organized and pleasant Guest House with spacious rooms which provides for a comfortable stay. Well done to the Owner and Manager for making everyone feel so welcome and for your high standard of service. I am looking forward to stay again at Beach Walk B&B between the 03/12 and 14/12.

Room Tip: Room 1 & 2
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Hello Dicky, thanks for your great review - deserves a beer on the house when you arrive tonight! As one of our regular guests, we look forward to every visit - you just need to be careful that Alida doesn't adopt you as her second son!
best wishes

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Beachwalk is fantastic. It's located directly across from the beach in a great area of PE. The grounds of the B&B are beautiful - a wonderful courtyard/pool area surrounded by bright flowers and colorful gardening. Our rooms were well decorated, spacious, and very comfortable. Cliff, Lea, and Alida are wonderful hosts. They provided great dinner recommendations and made reservations for us. They showed us some great running routes for a morning jog and cooked amazing omelets upon our return. Cliff and Lea were gracious hosts. Cliff gave us some great advice regarding our rental car that proved extremely helpful for the duration of our journey throughout SA. I can't imagine a better place to stay in PE.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Hello Ashleigh
Thanks for your great review - it was only a pleasure having the four of you stay with us, albeit only for a night. We often chuckle about you all running off in different directions, not passing each other along the way and still getting back to Beachwalk for breakfast.
I'm glad I could be of some assistance regarding your rental car - it always amazes me that the rental companies don't explain these little points to our overseas travellers when they hand over the car!
Please come and visit us again.