“Lovely Guest House” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 43 Summerstrand B&B and Inns
Cape Town
“Lovely Guest House”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

I stay at the Beach Walk B& B every time I go to Port Elizabeth. Its nice to be able to go to a place that you know, and to know that the service, friendliness and rooms will always be top notch. Well appointed rooms, and close to the beach. A lovely place to stay!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CliffordH, Owner at Beachwalk Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Hello Tanya, thank you for your great review. Looking forward to our favourite regular guests, like yourself, returning every few months is one of the great perks of owning and running a guest house / B&B like ours. Please keep on coming back, we love having you here! Best wishes "The Beachwalk Bunch"

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

My son and I were on our first trip to South Africa, Beachwalk B & B was recommended by our Safari Company. From the time we arrived we felt completely at home, everyone was very friendly and helpful. The room was delightful in a beautiful garden setting and just across the road from the Indian Ocean. The food was excellent, I can really recommend the "Full English". Nothing was too much trouble, we did some tourist trips from here, the Beachwalk staff were very knowledgable and helped us book some of our tours. Highly recommended and will definately go back if we are ever in Port Elizabeth.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello Nick, thank you for your great review. It was an absolute pleasure having you & James stay with us and being able to watch how busy you were and to share in your excitement & enjoyment. You will always be more than welcome - don't wait too long before returning! Best wishes Cliff, Lea & Alida.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

Beachwalk B&B is where I will stay when visiting Port Elizabeth!

The staff are all so friendly and welcome you with open arms. A home away from home! The rooms are exquisitely decorated and the breakfast (especially the fruit cocktail) was out of this world.

Well done Beachwalk, I will definitely be back, and bring the family along next time too!

Thank you once again for a lovely stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CliffordH, Owner at Beachwalk Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Hello Hayley, thank you for your great review - we're just so pleased that your meeting was in PE this time, so we got to meet you. We look forward to your next trip, be it business or leisure - you're always more than welcome. Keep well, look after yourself. Cliff, Lea and the Beachwalk bunch.
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

This was my second trip to Port Elizabeth and at the time of booking there was no doubt in my mind of where I would be staying. Staying at the Beachwalk B&B is a truely lovely experiance. Lea, Cliff and Alida are perfect hosts. Being greated every morning with a friendly smile and a hot cup of coffee, to actually sitting down with Cliff and Lea while we all ate breakfast really made the day start well. Being so far from home, but still feeling part of a family made all the difference. I would certainly recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
, Owner at Beachwalk Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Hello Simon
Thank you for posting your review. We have learnt to look forward to your visit from Germany around Comrades Marathon time each year - I know you said not next year, but we can always hope for a mind change. Simon, greeting you with a smile is the easiest thing to do - we always get one in return and our breakfast chats brighten up our day as much as they do yours - you are always more than welcome.
Till next time.
Cliff, Lea & Alida
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

We always have a wonderful stay at Beachwalk B&B. They are always friendly and welcoming. It is a home away from home environment. The rooms are lovely and the breakfasts devine!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at Beachwalk Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Hello Linda
Thank you for your kind comment, having you stay with us is always a pleasure. We look forward to having you and Johan here again, especially with the new little addition in tow.
Kind regards
Cliff & Beachwalk family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

I discovered the Beachwalk Bed & Breakfast when researching affordable, comfortable accommodation near the Port Elizabeth airport. I had already looked at a few other locations near the ocean, so I had begun to research Summerstrand, a beautiful "suburb" of PE, near a Boardwalk casino and the beach. I stumbled upon the Beachwalk and immediately fell in love.

The Beachwalk is only a few minutes ride from the airport, and it absolutely lived up to my expectations - and beyond. The gated property is about a block away from the beach, and if you peek out from driveway, you can see the ocean. As soon as the car was parked, I was warmly greeted by one of my hosts, Cliff, who graciously took my enormous and heavy bag and carried it inside for me. The check-in process was quick, and Cliff showed me to my room - while carrying my bag. He showed me where everything was, explained breakfast and let me know that if I needed anything, he'd be in the main house to help. He also offered a few suggestions for restaurants as well as some safety tips for traveling alone as a female. I was so appreciative of the help and impressed by how friendly he was.

I also got to meet their two dogs who were very friendly and made me miss my own dogs just a little less!

The room itself, as well as the location, are impressive to say the least. The rooms are located behind the main house, situated around a small outdoor pool and immaculately cared for lawn that made me feel transported to my own little (sort-of) tropical oasis. Of course the winter chill in the air reminded me this wasn't pool season (unfortunately!) In front of each room is a small patio table and chairs for guests to enjoy their beautiful outdoor space - or have a quick lunch in the sun, as I did.

The room's interior is tasteful with a beautiful big white comforter on the nicely-sized bed. There's a flat screen TV with cable, though I wasn't really familiar with South African channels. The windows looking out towards the pool can open to let in a breeze which was wonderful in the mid-afternoon. A nicely appointed vanity was set up near the heater and an outlet, so it was perfect for doing my hair and makeup. Just across, guests will find a small fridge stocked with a number of beverages for purchase including beer and wine. You can also have water for free as well as all the coffee and tea you can handle - the room is equipped with a coffee maker and a microwave. Just past this is a wonderful bathroom with a shower/tub combo that is absolutely perfect for a nice long bath - and everything was spotless!

As I mentioned before, the hotel's location is one of its greatest assets. At the end of the block, I could cross the street and be at a beautiful beach. A short walk to the left, and I found myself and Nelson Mandela Bay pier; a long walk to the beach took me all the way to a shopping center across the street as well as some more beautiful portions of the beach. It is fantastic to be so close to the ocean without needing to worry about parking or taking a cab! Another great convenience is that the Boardwalk Casino is located just about a fifteen minute walk down the beach. There are restaurants, shops and even games and rides (I assume in operation during the warmer seasons!) The street is well-lit, so walking is not a problem.

The best part about the Beachwalk is the amazing hospitality by the hosts, Cliff and Lea. They gave me so many suggestions and offered help with just about anything I needed. When I had asked about cabs and whether it was safe to walk to the Boardwalk around 7pm on my first night, Lea not only gave me a business card with a cab company, she also gave me their numbers and said to call if I needed anything or if I walked down and felt uncomfortable walking back. They were warm and hospitable, and we had great conversations every time we met. The rest of the staff was also very sweet whenever I saw them. On the morning before I left, one of the employees - a wonderful chef who's name unfortunately escapes me! - helped me plan out the rest of my trip. She showed me map routes, told me all the things to see and gave me lots of advice on getting around Cape Town later in my trip. She was so sweet and helpful.

Another great thing worth mentioning was the breakfast - I was so impressed! This was my first time staying at a B&B, and the breakfast spread was amazing. I got a nice selection of juices, cereals, fruit bowls and other typical continental breakfast items to start with. While I was eating, they asked me how I would like my eggs and what breakfast meats/sides I would like. I ordered scrambled eggs with mushrooms every morning and they were delicious! I don't know what spices they used, but they were the best! So much so that I kept hoping the rest of South Africa prepared their eggs the same way. Breakfast was also a great time to meet people, chat, and just enjoy vacation thanks to the relaxed atmosphere.

I absolutely loved staying at the Beachwalk. It was the first time I felt remorseful leaving my accommodation - I would miss the people as much as the place! This is a wonderful place to stay if you want to meet some fantastic people and enjoy the beauty of Port Elizabeth, Summerstrand and the wonderful Indian Ocean in unpretentious comfort and style.

Room Tip: There are only a few rooms, so they are all fantastic. I loved my corner room, though because it was...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
, Owner at Beachwalk Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Hello Melanie, great to hear from you again and to learn about the rest of your trip - need some photo's of you and the Cheetahs. We are over the moon with your fantastic, detailed report and just so happy that you enjoyed your stay at Beachwalk as much as we enjoyed having you stay with us. Believe me, looking after you and giving you travel advice was nothing but a pleasure - we just hope we get the opportunity to do it again. Take care, look after yourself on your travels and please keep in touch. Best wishes Cliff, Lea Alida and the furry friends!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

I stayed at the Beachwalk B&B with my wife, who knew of this place from a previous stay. We where made to feel right at home by the wonderfull hosts Cliff, Lea and Alida. From the easy online booking request, right through to check out, I can only describe the experience as excellent! The accommodation is neat and clean. All the ameanities are kept in good working order. They provide a lovely cooked breakfast as well. As they are only a stones throw away from the beachfront, it is easy to go for a leasurely stroll or jog along the sea side. I can highly recommend this B&B to all people who are looking for a place to stay, close to the beachfront and owners with staff who has a real human interest in their guests.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Beachwalk Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Hello Chris
Thank you for your fantastic review - welcoming people like the two of you is just not an effort at all and we look forward to your next visit. We wish you everything of the best for your future plans and if we can be of any assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
Best wishes