“Over priced and poor quality”
Review of The Foley

The Foley
Ranked #6 of 13 Restaurants in Claygate
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We offer beautifully cooked seasonal dishes throughout the day, including breakfast, lunch and dinner. With a menu full of freshly prepared dishes using some locally sourced produce you will not find a better offering in the area. From delicious traditional British meals to a handful of dishes from different origins you are sure to find a dish to suit all tastes and appetite. Our delightfully lighter menu option in the bar area includes a sandwiches selection during the day and home-made bar snacks with scrumptious scotch eggs and sausage rolls to have with a pint or glass of wine. With many ingredients sourced from local producers in and around the town, diners can enjoy dishes featuring award-winning meat including a variety of outdoor bred pork sausages from The Game Larder in Claygate. On Sundays you will find a bustling environment of friends and family enjoying our fantastic roasts, while some watch weekend sport and others are just having a quick drink a prefect Sunday is to be had with us.
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Thought we'd give it a try after it's refurbishment. The service was OK, but my fish was dripping oil on to the plate. My wife and mother-in-law's meals were of average quality, but the bill was considerably more than I would have expected to pay. Tried the Swan a week later - much better food and better value.

1  Thank Maestr007
There are newer reviews for The Foley

Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Was hoping this visit for a friend's birthday would be better - was willing to give it another try!
Oh dear, should not have bothered...
Large table of local people all used to dining out and actually the host had worked in catering all his life. His words were "what a disappointment, I would not have come here but my son wanted to try it for his birthday"...
Food was mediocre and the service was slow, disorganised and not all the meals were served at the same time...waiting 11/2 hours between starter and main course did not go down well. This was not value for money or a pleasant experience. The host especially was embarrassed about the evening so am sure this table of 8 won't be returning!
Shame as the decor snd furnishings are lovely - still really need to sort out the kitchen and organisevsome rigorous training for the staff and put an experienced restaurant manager in charge!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Our first visit to "The Foley" was for Sunday lunch. This is a very old Young's pub which has had quite a lot of restoration work performed on it in the very recent past. The surrouindings were reasonably pleasant and the staff were friendly and helpful, as one would expect. We had the Sunday roast for lunch and the main meal was more than ample. However we did have to wait longer for our meal than perhaps we should have done, in fact we did go as far as asking the waitress what the delay was. As the pub wasn't that busy one wonders what it would be like if it was. However having said all that, I would say that the meal was maybe just a bit above average and the surroundings were quite pleasant. As to whether we would go there again, probnably not..

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We dined on the first week that the Foley re-opened and were very disappointed with the menu, quality of food and service such that we had no desire to return. Recently we heard that the Foley had revamped the menu so we returned last night 20th February. Our disappointment was no less than the first time. The menu was poor, the food was very poor, the service was very unskilled. It is difficult to understand how the management can get it so wrong when they have put such effort into refurbishing and developing the building so well,

6  Thank H_Claygate
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I’ve not been in the Foley before, went with my wife for a drink on a Saturday 17/11/2012 in the evening. We bumped into some friends who decided to order some bar food and they had just started a tab running on a table.

We then decided at the same time to order some food but said I would like to pay immediately as we were planning on not staying all evening. This caused mass confusion with the bar staff and the manager approached me and informed me that it was not possible for me to order food on the table as a tab was running (classic computer says no). I suggested that maybe he could place the order on the table next to us however we would be sitting with our friends.

5 minutes later the manager approached our table asking who on the table would be eating, we replied that we all were and he then explained that our food would be arriving at different times and pointed to myself rudely that it was my FAULT!!!!. I took offensive to this comment and the arrogance and clear inexperience of his customer management was clear for everybody to see.

When our food arrived we were missing one meal, the manager again approached our table and apologised but insisted that the meal was 2 minutes away. After 10 minutes one of our friends asked where his meal was and was told it was on its way. Another 5 minutes passed and still no meal, at this point our friend told them to forget the meal and wipe it off the bill.

To his credit the manager did provide us with a free round of drinks, although his arrogant attitude was still apparent informing us that this was his decision and that he didn’t have to do this.

I contacted Young's via the website, received a reply that the area manager would contact me but a week later not had any contact.

Shame as this really does look like a lovely place, however inexperienced\rude staff is its current downfall and I will not be going there again.

3  Thank jonah b