“My new hangout”

Ranked #1 of 1 Claygate B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“My new hangout”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I live not far from claygate and the area does not lack in pub choices. I decided to try the Foley as i hadnt yet been and I had heard about there recent renevation. I was amazed by the size of the bar area which meant that grabbing a seat on a busy Friday night was not a problem. A great selection of wine to choose from and one of the barmen recommended a lovely rose. I originally went just for drinks, however saw some of the food and couldnt resist. The burgers in particular looked amazing and my wife had the fish and chips which also was one of the best she had in awhile. Although prices may seem a little steep the large portions and quality of food more than made up for this. We did have to wait a little while for the bill, but as we were in no rush this was not a problem. All together the place had a great vibe and with a lovely additional outdoor decking area I cant wait to check it out when the sunshine comes! Definitly would recommend and would say to those who have had bad experiences to give it another go. I will be back.

Room Tip: I did not stay in hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Knutsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My partner and i stayed at the Foley to attend a pre-wedding drinks night at nearby Esher.
We were both very impressed. They emailed us on the day to say they were looking forward to meeting us later that day.
Check in very quick.
Our bedroom was absolutely lovely.. Huge bed, very clean, bright and spacious , with a sofa.
The bathroom was huge and very well stocked.
What made it a cut above the rest, was the detail in little things. The room had the usual tea and coffee but with a cafetiere ,scoop for the coffee and fresh milk in the fridge.
Breakfast was lovely, really enjoyable experience.
Usual help yourself from a huge wooden station.
I had eggs benedict which was cooked to perfection.
Would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Laura05_12, General Manager at The Foley, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments, I will insure I pass these on to the whole team and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Regards
Laura Bugbee
Morden, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2013

After reading some reviews I was a little apprehensive about coming to The Foley, but we had been invited for a birthday meal by a friend who had been before and assured me that she had
had a lovely time and great food, so off we went. We were in a large group of 14 so had expected food and service to be a little slow but we were pleasantly surprised. The staff that served us were lovely, our drinks and food arrived very promptly. The waitress had recommended the Turbot Supreme which was on the specials board, which I had. It was delicious and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I then has a Pavlova which had also been a special, it had been a very warm day and it was very refreshing with the berries and the meringue was lovely and soft. I would definitely recommend The Foley to anyone and I am also thinking of having my own birthday dinner there next month.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Our room was lovely, good shower, nice and helpful staff, but I was disappointed by the breakfast that included over salty scrambled eggs and cheap bacon. We were also unimpressed by the bar which closed at 11:00 and left us with nowhere to sit and chat to our friends, forcing us back to our rooms.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Noreen S
Laura05_12, General Manager at The Foley, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I will give your feedback regarding breakfast to our Head Chef. As you are aware we are in a residential area and this is why the bar closes at 11pm. I have taken on the fact that you just wanted somewhere to sit and chat with your friends and am looking into what can be done to resolve this.

We do have have a few rooms with sofas and would recommend that you request one of these rooms on future stays.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

It's people that make a place, in my view ... This hotel has had a top-class and tasteful brewery refurbishment which appears to have created a very "real" and vibrant local pub atmosphere. This is expertly coupled with the feel of a comfortable and classy hotel. However, none of this would work as well as it does, if it weren't for the staff. Everyone was friendly, welcoming and personal. Arriving tired and hungry at 10.30pm, after a long day in the office, I didn't dare to expect any food. The chap running the bar not only served up top class ale but, with a magician's flourish, managed to rustle up "proper" sausage rolls and pizza, saying “we can’t let you go to bed hungry”. It felt like a genuine, smiling welcome and priceless service. I can't remember his name but he had worked on the refurbishment and then stayed on and joined the staff. I was struggling to find a hotel for the next night. Kirsten on reception remembered this and managed to sort it out, once a cancelled room became available. In fact every member of staff was very friendly and helpful ... so to repeat, it's the people that really make a place. I look forward to returning. Thank you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Laura05_12, General Manager at The Foley, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Hi David

Thank you for your kind words. I have passed on your compliments to the team.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon at the Foley

Regards
Laura Bugbee
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband and I have just spent a couple of nights at this hotel while I was working on an exhibition at Sandown Park, and we enjoyed it very much. A spacious, quiet, stylish room, huge very comfortable bed, large fully equipped bathroom with great shower, thick towels and quality products, the best tea/coffee station in a hotel room we've ever seen, with cookies, tea, hot chocolate, ground coffee plus cafetière, and FRESH milk in the fridge, superb and beautifully-cooked breakfast menu (no porridge though, sadly), and friendly attentive staff.

The only thing we would have appreciated was more space to put our clothes away. There was an L-shaped entrance corridor between the door and the room itself, where it would have been quite possible to add a small wardrobe and chest of drawers. The wardrobe, with a safe at the bottom, didn't give enough longer hanging space for two of us staying more than a night, and the various drawers were scattered around the room and not very big. Just a line of hooks on the wall for coats and jackets would have helped.

And in a 'boutique' hotel it would really be nice for once for a room for two to have TWO armchairs to relax in. It's such a pity always to have to sit on the bed to read.

We didn't eat evening meals at the hotel: the dinner menu looks lovely but is quite expensive, and there is a great choice of restaurants in Esher.

Room Tip: There are stairs and no lift, so ask for a ground floor room if you need one. We asked for a quiet...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Laura05_12, General Manager at The Foley, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for your comments on your stay and we are glad you enjoyed it so much. We have taken on board your comments regarding hanging space and are looking at getting some stylish hooks in place for coats etc.
We look forward to seeing you again soon at the Foley
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We delayed our visit to the Foley because we heard of teething problems following its refurbishment. We were pleasantly surprised by the decor and the garden. The waitress was very friendly and gave her recommendation when asked. I chose the savoury pancakes on her recommendation and they were delicious. Others had, burger, chicken pie and salmon. Dessert again went on recommendation so we all had the pavlova with red beries. All of us enjoyed the meal and will definitely be back again.

Room Tip: Not applicable
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Claygate
Oatlands Park Hotel
Hilton Cobham
Hilton Cobham
#3 of 4 in Cobham
Premier Inn Chessington Hotel

Been to The Foley? Share your experiences!