“Authentic Chinese”

Ume Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 12 Restaurants in Claygate
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Esher, United Kingdom
“Authentic Chinese”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

Very small restaurant in Claygate's Station Parade which is worth the trip. No over dressed food with sweet sticky sauces just truly delicious Chinese food prepared and served by charming hosts.

Visited November 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Kingston upon Thames
“A perfectly pleasant meal but nothing exceptional”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Ordered my first takeaway from here as a result of the good reviews on TA as well as the interesting menu (on the website, which is well constructed) that contained some lesser seen dishes. Inside the restaurant was a smallish one room affair with no private space (booths, out of the way tables etc), but seemed nice, although as a takeaway I was only there awaiting the order.

I like some heat to dishes, not stupidly spicy but when noted on a menu as hot I expect to notice it - from a Chinese restaurant some sichuan pepper and/or chillies would be expected. Therefore I ordered some things that were either noted as hot on the menu, or that my past experiences indicated should be. Although there was certainly a few slices of chillies, it was overall a tame experience and nothing that left me feeling this was out of the ordinary. It was enjoyable, but really quite standard UK Chinese fare I had experienced many times before. If I lived in Claygate, I would be satisfied with this as a reasonable, reliable local, but as I live a little farther away, I wouldn't make a special trip as I would to some more interesting Chinese restaurants elsewhere.

• Visited January 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Best restaurant for miles around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

My personal favourite at Ume has to be the lobster with ginger and spring onion, again and again I find myself drawn to this family run restaurant that provides great service. The owner and chef Charlie on many an occasion comes to great diners while eating and nothing is too much trouble for him to accommodate. The salt and pepper soft shell crab and honey lamb are also outstanding.
The very reasonably priced and high standard of wine list always goes down well.
Many thanks again for the amazing food and impeccable service as always, looking forward to my next visit already.
Ume what a gem.

• Visited December 2012
London
“Another lovely time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

I recently went to Ume restaurant with my girlfriend to eat in after a brilliant time at my 18th.
Again the staff were attentive and humourus. We had a lovely time, and it is perfect for couples aswell becuase the music was so romanntic.

I still recomend Ume to anyone who wants a decent meal at reasonable prices. We had such a perfect evening and i cant thank Ume enough

• Visited November 2012
London
“Authentic food, friendly service, cosy and welcoming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

I have going to Ume in Claygate for the last few years and it never fails to impress. The restaurant is warm, unpretentious and cosy but also smart enough for an occasion such as a birthday or a new year's eve meal. The staff are universally welcoming and friendly.

Ume's main asset, however, is its chef and owner, Charlie, who creates authentic, well-seasoned dishes with fresh, locally sourced produce. Nothing is too much effort. Standouts are the crispy seaweed starter and the almond chicken in orange sauce - delicious!

• Visited November 2012