“Great food and good service”

The Hare and Hounds
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Claygate
Cuisines: French, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Hare and Hounds in Claygate is a lovely friendly village pub, offering great English and French food, ale and wine. We have a wonderful outdoor dining terrace, safe family garden. Our dining room also makes the perfect Private room for special occasions with its own delightful deck overlooking the garden.
Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

Excellent food and a relaxed and efficient service on a Friday lunchtime. The French speaking owner ? Manager was attentive and welcoming. Lamb with dauphin potatoes very tasty but lamb was not generous for the price. Risotto was suberb.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Chose this as I was staying in Claygate and it was not a mistake the food was super. Arrived a little late as my husband and I were delayed by traffic, but it was no problem the staff were very friendly and welcoming and the food was fantastic. The waitress who served us I think her name was Julie was very efficient and made us feel very relaxed. Would really be happy to recommend this to any one.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

We often drink in the H & H but last week we ate there for the first time. And it certainly won't be the last. We started with the pate and the beetroot with goats cheese. Both were very good and to be recommended. For mains we had the steak and aubergine bake. The aubergine was voted one of the best ever! We washed it all down with London Pride and an excellent bottle of Portuguese red. What's not to love!
The waitress was delightful and honestly couldn't have been more friendly and attentive.
The place could do with a lick of paint and a bit of updating, but in a way that adds to the charm. Also, the front garden is a great sun-trap in the early evening.

1  Thank FlyingHighLondon
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Staying up the road at The Foley, their menu looked nice but everything very calorific, so walked through the Monday evening downpour to the Hare and Hounds which had smaller dishes, sharing plates, lighter bites. It was packed and buzzy, people stuffing envelopes I think, elections in the offing. Fortunately there was a table free and we were served promptly. Fantastic offering, my husband had grilled goat's cheese and beetroot, I had duck confit with salad, then Thai mussels for me and a rump steak for him. All hot and fresh, beautifully presented, in appropriate sized portions. A glass of wine each, no room for puds, very good value. Heartily recommend it!

1  Thank MelFinch
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Everyone in Claygate seems to be talking about The Hare and Hounds at the moment so we put it to the test for dinner last night . Now we know why. It really is a proper "local" pub with great food and very friendly service. We shared some rustic pate to start ( very good and nicely garnished ) and then for mains I had sea bream ( wow - just brilliant - I mean really brilliant ) and my wife had a rump steak ( perfect size , cooked rare as ordered , and with excellent fries ) , and we finished off with a plate of local Surrey cheeses ( really tasty but just too much in the end ) . To drink , it was a tough choice from the extensive wine list but we went for a sub £30 Macon which was drinking perfectly ( in fact so much so that we even had a glass or two from a second bottle ( nb : why don't more establishments sell more of their premium wines by the glass like this ?? ) . And the service was just right, with every dish served with a smile. In fact everything was just right , and we could tell from the ambience around the pub that everyone else in there was feeling exactly the same. So we left happy , each of us telling the other smugly how lucky we were to have a local pub this good. But then we realised that everyone else around Claygate seems to be saying the same thing right now in which case we may not find it so easy to get a table next time around .....

1  Thank ClaygateFoodie