“A pleasant stay in Norfolk, CT”

Blackberry River Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Norfolk B&B and Inns
Falls Church, Virginia
“A pleasant stay in Norfolk, CT”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

We spent two nights at the Inn on a recent road trip to New England and enjoyed our stay very much. Our King suite, room #2, was very large and quite clean. We heard no noise from other guests, but the Inn is close to the highway and passing cars were quite audible. Breakfasts were excellent. The room was a bit chilly, which didn't bother us but might have been troublesome for others. We didn't mention this to the staff, but I daresay they would have dealt with the issue had we done so.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vaoenophile

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed there over the Columbus Day weekend and I am exhausted from not having slept all night. We had originally booked a room in their "Carriage House" because our experiences in B&B's is that in the main house it can be noisy. When we arrived they told us they had upgraded us into the Main House and showed us to our room. The room was lovely; working fireplace in the room, antiques, large bathroom and very clean. We put our luggage in the room and went out to explore the area. We returned around 11pm that evening and turned on the tv. The television was not working. After several visits from various staff members who could not fix the television, I opted for a magazine. About an hour later, I turned off the light and tried to fall asleep but could not because the people in the next room were talking quietly and I could hear everything they were saying. I could hear when they rolled over, when they flushed the toilet when they sneezed. When I finally did doze off I was woken up by the man in the next room vomiting in his bathroom and it was as if he was in the room with us because the walls and insulation between the rooms was so thin. I got about 3 hours sleep. I'm exhausted while I write this, but wanted to make sure I left a review that was accurate. While sitting at breakfast the next morning, we overheard a woman next to us telling the innkeeper about how sick her husband had been the night before. Later, when the woman had left the breakfast area, we told the innkeeper about what a terrible night's sleep I had and why. Her comment was, "oh, we just got a bunch of ear plugs...". I was stunned. I do not want to take a mini vacation, pay top dollar and have to wear earplugs to bed. The breakfast was okay. My teapot had a yellow jacket sitting in the spout so when I went to pour my tea, out climbed a bee. I'm allergic to bee's so I wasn't thrilled about that. Also, the food was marginal. The omelette was dry, the toast and pancakes cold and the tea waster was not hot. The staff and the ambiance were the best thing about the place, but I had the feeling that the people working there were "winging" it and really don't know how to run an inn.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 4 or 5. The walls are paper thin and you can hear when the person in the next r...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank nbens
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

Being European, my wife and I were very glad to finally find a hotel that has a bit of history - especially the main building with its bright breakfast room looks more like an English manor than like your average motel. I don't know how old the house actually is, but I'd imagine that it would be the perfect starting point for your antiques shopping trip into the Berkshires.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Klaus R
New Rochelle, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband and I just returned home from a lovely weekend where we stayed at the blackberry river inn. We arrived very late Friday night and were greeted by two very friendly women. We were hungry having missed dinner. There were no restaurants open, so they offered to give us dinner at no charge. The cook was still there and made us delicious pasta,broccoli and very nice tallapia. I've never had that experience before! Rooms were charming, clean and a huge bathroom.
Breakfast was served by a young girl from Austria who was delightful! The breakfast was made to order and the breakfast room was beautiful. All in all, I would definitely stay there again. The parlors were very warm and inviting as well. My husband and I travel frequently in the united states and abroad...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Julie R
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

good place for the family, the owners are very nice. we came late and they brew tea and gave us fresh cookies. breakfast was good as well. the rooms and the bathroom are clean. they als have wifi free internet in all the rooms

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Evgeniy_Kharam
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

We had needs for a group stay in north western CT and have used the Blackberry River Inn two years running. We rented their entire 'Carriage House', which worked out very well. We needed to be up and out early, so they made special arraignments for early buffet breakfast, which everyone in the group enjoyed. We intend to stay there again next year if we are back in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank jermasterinco
Hamden, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

We booked this trip in November 2011 with a Groupon for March 2012. They called to change the reservation because they were doing construction and asked for us to call back. Well, calling back was a challenge as they NEVER ANSWER THEIR PHONES or return their emails. For 2-3 weeks I attempted to reach someone as our vacation time is limited and we needed to ensure a weekend the 2 of us could take off. After finally getting a hold of an actual person, we rescheduled for this past weekend.

We showed up around 3 pm (check in is at 3) to find the inn open without a soul in sight. We waited around for 20-30 minutes before someone showed up to check us in. They have this sign that says call this number if you need assistance and it rings throughout the inn, you can hear it ringing from standing in the front room. Well the lady who checked us in came from within the inn, and ignored our 10 calls while we were waiting. She was the best out of all the staff there. I refused to pay at that time because they did not apply the groupon discount and I had to speak with "the innkeeper" about the bill.

The ROOM was GREAT: Carriage Room 14. Spacious, lovely bathroom with a jacuzzi tub and shower stall, couch, closet space, nice decor. The BED was SO UNCOMFORTABLE; woke up both nights with a stiff neck and overheard another woman remarking how her neck hurt too. The PROPERTY is BEAUTIFUL. The grounds are well-kept; didn't make use of the pool or the tennis courts as they were open at this time. We also saw a BOBCAT, so we must have been the first guests in a while.

Throughout our stay we COULD NOT FIND ANYONE to give us directions, recommendations, assist with reservations, etc. We were basically on our own to find places to eat and things to do. There isn't much to do night-life-wise in the area but fun farmer's market, waterfalls, vineyards, antique shops. The staff we did "run into" like at breakfast or randomly at 10 PM in the driveway were not outwardly friendly and pretty much socially awkward.

Overall, if you don't care about being ignored your entire stay by the staff and can easily find your own activities, places to eat, etc then you can stay here. I wouldn't return after this visit at full price (around 190/night), the rooms were nice, but not worth it compared to other inns and B&B's we've stayed in with much better personal service. They also request tips to be left for the staff at breakfast and the house keepers; the staff a breakfast are also the owners occasionally so I didn't feel this was appropriate, but that could just be me.

Room Tip: Carriage house 14 has a jacuzzi tub
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank YungCoupl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norfolk
White Hart Inn
The Cornwall Inn
The Cornwall Inn
#1 of 1 in Cornwall
Locust Tree Bed and Breakfast

Been to Blackberry River Inn? Share your experiences!