“Johnny D Sez gotta go”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: not far from Mystic, CT
Reviewed September 16, 2013

For those of you that read my reviews, you know that as a retired restauranteur I sometimes give a restaurant a break on bad reviews because I know what it takes to run a successful joint. This place does not need a break, those few bad reviews are unwarrented. Fords Lobster in Noank is one of the top 3 dining experiences of my life!! We seek out the local places and this epitomises locality. Set on the shoreline of the majestic Mystic River, Fords atmosphere, food and service was second to none. On 10 sept 2013 my wife and I had to " lobster it up" I had a 3# er ( 40 bucs ) and my wife had 1 1/2 #er. Its also a BYOB. On this bucholic evening, we sipped our cocktails as many schooners sailed by. The buttery crustaesians were delivered and devoured in no time, along w/ a huge, fresh potatoe pancake smothered in lobster bisque. Fords is a destination restaurant for us. In fact driving back home to Erie Pa from New Bedford Mass, we detoued just to go back there. Call first to be sure they're open because everything is outside this time of year.

3  Thank john d

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We had a wonderful time at Ford’s and we actually went 2 days in a row!!

FOOD: Everyone was extremely happy with all the seafood we got (and they even had a chicken sandwich for our friend that’s allergic to shellfish). Most folks got the Lobster Roll (hot and cold), mussels, clams casinos and we also got a couple of watermelon/feta salads to share.
We were also excited to see there were brunch specials for Sunday that includes a Lobster Roll with bacon and Hollandaise (which my husband loved) and various other options with fresh avocado

DRINKS: The place is BYOB, but there is a Packaged Goods Store that delivers if your order is over $25 and they were great! Came right away and were super friendly – give them a call if you need anything at all.

SERVICE: We were a very large group with a baby (i.e. not easy for any restaurant) and our server was excellent. His name was Alex and he was super-professional and attentive and made sure everyone was well taken care of. Even though he was very busy we never felt like he wasn’t keeping an eye out for us.

OVERALL: Great food, experience and people – we will definitely be back 

1  Thank maf908285
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Outdoor lobster places range from the basic shack serving a lobster and fries up to places like Ford's where you get your lobster served cracked with a potato pancake covered in lobster bisque. Ford's has friendly service, flawless location, and a high end vibe, with prices to match (25 bucks for a 1 1/4 lobster) Still, you won't go wrong here.

1  Thank BoltonYankee
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The selection was unbelievable! The amount of specials that night were abundant! The wait (remember it was summer in Connecticut) was 35 minutes, not too bad since the college help had already headed back to school. My lobster was good. The view was incredible! Sunset, boats, Fishers Island, company, atmosphere, food. All perfect!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We visited Ford's because of the Trip Advisor reviews, and if you go don't expect glitz & glamor just AMAZING food. It's a bunch of plastic tables and chairs sitting of a small dock and what I would consider a "camp Kitchen" some grills and stoves under a canopy. The special menu written on a chalkboard changes daily. Delicious Lobster Bisque with huge chunks of lobster. My husband had the 1 1/2lb steamed lobster that came with au gratin potato w/lobster bisque on top and coleslaw. Sweet, tender and delicious. I went with the Lobster Risotto and still cannot believe they can produce such an amazing dish from that "portable kitchen" absolutely the best!

1  Thank RofoBeth

Been to Ford's Lobster? Share your experiences!