“Sound(Long Island) eating”

Description: not far from Mystic, CT
Rogers, Arkansas
“Sound(Long Island) eating”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We recently visited Ford's Lobster House in Noank, CT. This a no frills waterside restaurant in the best New England Coastal tradition, picnic tables and BYOB. The menu is surprisingly varied and there is truly something for everyone, including beef. The lobster, however, is the star of the show. We had a lobster bomb(lobster roll super sized) and a lobster risotto. The lobster bomb is available in both hot and cold variations, we had the hot roll with drawn butter. The lobster risotto was perfectly cooked and full of lobster chunks. We also had stuffed quahogs, clams casino and mussels for appetisers. They all were very good.

The service was casual but attentive. Everyone was friendly, pleasant and courteous. Even though it was a Saturday night, we were seated immediately at the last open table. Our server was on the spot with our drinks and appetisers and was there every time we needed anything. We closed the place and never felt rushed by the staff. All in all an excellent dining out experience.

1 Thank JOHN R

West Haven, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Stop here for the best lobster roll in all of CT!”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My friend and I have been on a three summer long quest to find the best lobster roll in all of CT and Ford's wins hands-down! And we've hit them all, including Abbott's and Lenny and Joe's which often times rank as the highest. Ford's not only has the plumpest, not overcooked lobster meat, it also had the perfect accent of butter on a fresh toasted roll. Ford's also offers the quintessential environment essential for enjoying any seafood. It sits on the docks overlooking the ocean, it's BYOB, the price is right (we've discovered that lobster roll prices are negatively correlated to quality, any roll over $16, just wasn't worth it), and it offers alternatives for those friends that prefer other seafood. The staff and service are friendly and fast! #Ford'sRollsRule

1 Thank LobstahLisa
ansonia
“Ford's is Fantastic”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I googled Connecticut best Lobster Roll and the top 5 restaurants came up (not mentioning the names but we did try the #1 which was in New London). Yes it had the 5 ozs. of lobster that they
advertised but the hot lobster roll was in a buttered bun and there was no taste to this lobster at all, very bland and very disappointed.

One day while doing a girls day trip to Stonington CT I asked one of the locals where can we have lunch and have a lobster roll. She highly recommended Ford's. I never even heard of this place before. It is in Noank (near Mystic Ct). It is not advertised and a little tricky to get there since there are no signs to direct you to this little waterfront place. I believe a lot of locals go there since it is hidden away but now more people will be showing up since I found this little piece of heavenly lobsters. We sat outside looking a the beautiful water, boats and just enjoying this beautiful day. Our waitress gave us excellent service and always with a smile. The lobsters were on a toasted buttered bun, but the taste of the lobsters were very good. I believed they sautéed them in wine and butter and then sprinkled parsley on top. They also have a small restaurant on the premises in the winter months.

I would highly put this as the #1 Lobster Roll in CT. I bet it didn't make the number one spot since no one know about it. I'm sure glad I found it. Oh I forgot the New England clam chowder was a big hit too!!!!!!

1 Thank bilasi
San Jose, California
“This place begs for service.”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We came to this place becasue of the rave reviews on here. Unfortunately I'm with the other 1 star-ers that got awful service. When we arrived we put our names down on the waiting list and were told it'd be 30 minutes. Since it was getting chilly and we were in shorts we went straight to our car to change into jeans since we had 30 minutes to kill and would be eating outside later when it would be even colder. Anyway, we could not have been gone longer than 10 minuets. We come back and wait at the entrance, wait and wait and wait and everyone else seems to have already been seated and not many people were waiting anymore we went up to ask where we were on the list. They said they had called us ages ago. That's wonderful that our table took 5 minutes instead of 30 but if you had told us five minutes we would not need to get changed!
I do admit I was quite bitter and told the manager/owner that if you tell someone 30 minuets and they are not there after 5 minutes then you should try again at the time you told them to be there. He said no you only get one chance. So unless you're up for a game of you "snooze you loose" don't come here. Then he chuckled, shrugged and said "sorry" in a snarky manner. The type of sorry when you want to insult someone instead of actually apologizing like little kids tell each other when their mother forces them.
Obviously their table system is flawed and instead of actually apologizing for their lack of organization they pretty much laugh at you.
I wanted to leave right then, but my husband was really hungry and they did get us a table then right away so he just wanted to eat and get out, so we went.
The waiters really do leave much service to be desired and aren't pleasant or attentive.
They were out of about 1/2 the items menu so this reflects on the awesome management again. After settling for my second choice soup and hot lobster roll only the lobster was served. We inquired about the soup and were asked if we still wanted it. No I definitely did not unless it was complimentary, which at this point during the dreadful service it should have been. So we heard some more sorries. At least it didn't show up on the bill.
I do admit that the lobster roll was really good so it is a shame that service and management is so abysmal here becasue this could be an awesome place. But no I would not go back.

2 Thank Atalanta8
Gales Ferry, Connecticut, United States
“Pleasant Experience”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The food was good but not great. The service was very good and our server was pleasant and helpful. The Noank Chowder was good, not great. The crab cake was good at best. The order only includes one crab cake which is not enough. The BYOB is a good idea. Parking is at a premium so carpool if you are going with several couples.
For the money it beats Abbott's hands down.

1 Thank Richard M

Been to Ford's Lobster? Share your experiences!