“Average”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Niantic
“Average”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

The food was average fried food and standard shoreline fare. It's a clean and decent place but the food is just average.

Visited September 2012

Dallas, Texas
“Undercooked Clams”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

One of the things that I have to have when I come home to visit is fried whole-belly clams. Many of the clam shacks had closed for the season when I arrived, and I was happy to find that Skipper’s was open year-round. Skipper’s is your typical clam shack type of place: order at the counter, booths inside, nice deck area outside facing Niantic Bay and the railroad tracks across the street. I was the only one in the family wanting clams, so I ordered some to take back to the motel room. I didn’t have to wait long for them to be ready, and that should have been a warning sign. When I got to the room, I found that the clams were barely cooked. The coating was a very light tan and sliding off the clams. It was very unappetizing. If I had been at the restaurant, I would have taken them back to the counter and asked for them to be cooked more thoroughly. As it was, I picked out the ones that appeared the most cooked, ate them, and threw the rest out. I am hoping that this was a one-time error on their part. I’d hate to think this is their usual way of cooking and serving seafood. Still, this was my one experience there, and since it’s all the first-hand experience I have to go on, I can only rate it based on that.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank wolfie_n
Cary, North Carolina
“Thety know how to make Fish 'n Chips”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

For $10.99, a great lightly-battered great 10 oz portion. It was not shiney and greasy-looking like so many others. Excellent value and a great view of the sound at their front porch.

• Visited September 2012
New Jersey girl
“OK local food”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Skippers is very casual. I had the lobster sandwich and it was good. It was fine, but not worth a special trip.

Visited August 2012
Suffield, Connecticut
“Classic New England Fried Seafood”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We stopped in here after a nice day fishing on a party boat catching blue fish. This is a classic seafood shack. By shack I do not mean run down. The place was very nice and clean and fairly new looking. There is an option to sit indoors but from what I can tell it can only hold about 25 to 30 people. They have an outside area with picnic tables in which a portion of which is covered. The restaurant faces Niantic Bay but it is across the street and you see the Metro North tracks and fencing. You order your food at the counter and you have a large selection on the menu from burger, dogs to dine plates of fish and chips, fried clam strips, lobster rolls, chowder etc. My son and daughter ordered the fried clamp strips and I ordered the fish and chips and my wife the fish sandwich. The girl behind the counter was very pleasant and patient while we decided. After your order they give you a number in which they call you when your order is done, however the waitress offered to bring it out to us if it was not too busy at the time the order was up. She did bring it out. Overall the food was very good and the portions were big. This is a seafood place that specializes in fried stuff not light and dainty food. I would go back again.

• Visited August 2012