“Cute farm-to-table”
Review of La Belle Aurore

La Belle Aurore
Ranked #23 of 44 Restaurants in Niantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
NY
“Cute farm-to-table”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Adorable, "chic farm-y" decor. Healthy, imaginative menu. Unfortunate location, wedged between Carvel and a laundromat -- Don't let this deter you!

Visited August 2012

Bayonne, New Jersey
“very disappointing first (and last) visit”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Myself and my wife were staying at a local Niantic Inn for a couple of days and were looking for a typical bistro meal to cap a lovely stay in the area. How disappointed we were to have tried La Belle Aurore. Although the place looked initially inviting and the hostess was efficient and courteous, our initial excitement was short lived. I do not eat fish so my only choice was the duck or "meat and potatoes". Not being a fan of duck, I choose the latter, as usually it cannot go wrong. The meat was hanger steak, which for $28, was a little surprising to see. When the server brought me my meal I was shocked. I got 5 small pieces of nearly inedible meat (it was difficult to cut even) and my potatoes consisted of several potato chip like slivers of potatoes. I couldn't believe it. My wife ordered the crab cakes and got two small ones for $24. My wife is allergic to chipotle peppers and of course there is no mention of them being in her crab cake sauce on the menu, so she eats it and her neck swells like a balloon. The server, seeing my wife's pain runs out to get some Benadryl from the CVS across the road. Then the chef comes out and is like "Wow, you didn't know you were allergic to chipotle" to which my wife responds, "Of course I knew, why didn't you state it clearly on your menu?"
We couldn't get out of there fast enough. With no appetizers, no deserts, two below average entrees and two beers, our check was $76 plus tip. Outrageous.

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank 353Paul353
Oslo
“A hidden gem in a strip mall...”
Reviewed April 15, 2012 via mobile

We recently ate dinner at the tiny restaurant and enjoyed it. Local produce and ingredients made the meal memorable. Located in a strip mall in Niantic next to Dairy Queen the restaurant offers bistro food to the local citizenry ...those looking for something else than pizza and bar food. 40.00 for pris-fixe is acceptable and all courses were really fresh and made to order, scallops, salad and lamb were all top notch or a half level below but very good. Food was a bit bland but freshness made up for it. I would try it again but would also like to see the kitchen be a little flavor oriented.

Amherst, Massachusetts
“The food is good, but an evening out at these prices needs more than good food”
Reviewed March 17, 2012

We picked this restaurant based on recommendations from Yelp.com. Don't go. The food was good, but the service was worse than awful - staff who knew we wanted to order just laughed....I could go on and on...not worth it. Had we gotten even halfway decent service I could forgive them. It was my husband's birthday, and I felt so bad. The atmosphere is poor - in a strip mall next to Dairy Queen. If all you care about is food and you have a lot of money and time, by all means, go. Back to service (there were 3 couples in the restaurant until a fourth came in and totally ruined our meal with loud and obnoxious conversation) - why did the not-busy manager allow one man to destroy all of our evenings? I don't recommend it!

1 Thank Conniefay
“Great tastes and great staff”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

This may not be your everyday eatery, but it is delicious. The service was wonderful, from the owner who greets and seats you to the server who took great care of us.

The menu changes every month, this night I had scallops over risotto. Everything was cooked to perfection.

It is a bit pricy, but you do get what you pay for. A great meal.