“The best hotel in the area and very afordable!”

Days Inn Niantic Near Casinos
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Niantic
astoria
“The best hotel in the area and very afordable!”
Reviewed April 14, 2008

I just left the hotel and I would like to become a regular at this place.
My husband and me loved the hotel , the beautiful scenery and the nice clean rooms.
We are looking forward to be there soon again!
Thanks for the great experience!

• Liked — The cleaness & location
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ani11106

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
waterford
Reviewed March 24, 2008

My wife and I were invited to a wedding in the Mystic area and we didn't want to spend a fortune on a hotel, so I spent almost a week online comparing B&Bs and motels all around the Mystic area, calling places directly, inspecting their websites for clues, and Googling ad nauseum. The selection was tough. Initially, I settled on another chain motel, but after finding several nightmare reviews on this site (TripAdvisor) I quickly cancelled. I must say that this site is a godsend, and is the only site that can help you not "fly blind" in finding a place to stay. Thanks!

So, I selected Hilltop Inn based entirely on the reviews on this site. After slogging through 5 hours of evening traffic from NYC to Niantic, We still braced ourselves to find something awful at the Days Inn. So, it was a big relief to find this was quite a decent place. Here are the particulars:

We arrived at 10pm, and the woman on the night-shift check-in was cordial, efficient, and got us checked-in in about 30 seconds.

I had requested a quiet non-smoking room on the top floor and they gave us exactly that.

The hotel is very well kept, it's clean, well-lit, and you're up on a hill away from the highway so it's very quiet. There was plenty of parking.

Our room was also very clean, and basically everything you could hope for. It had a decent bed with clean sheets, all room lights worked, and the TV with cable plus remote worked fine. The heater/AC worked well. I think it may have just been renovated/upgraded, because all the gadgets seemed brand new. Gadgets meaning: coffee maker, hair dryer, ironing board & iron, even a fridge. Heck, even the shower-head was new and hi-tech!

So, all things said, I can't recommend this place enough. For the price, for being just "a hotel off a highway", it was exactly what I hoped it would be.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hluchs
westerly
Reviewed November 21, 2007

My girlfriend wanted to surprise me with a lovely stay in CT, close enough to the casinos where we could do a little bit of gambling. She made a reservation at the Hilltop Inn. Upon entering it looked okay by the appearance of the lobby, but that was honestly the best part of the whole place. We had a rude check in person, didn't speak English well enough and she seemed to have a difficult time understanding us. Anyway, we got to our room and was literally bowled over by the smell of mildew. Now I can understand if this hotel was sitting ocean front, the smell of mildew could not be helped, but it is up on a hill, in the woods, no water around for miles - Explain the odor. We complained and were told we could switch rooms, (which we did). It stunk too!! We figured we wouldn't be in it except to sleep and we proceeded to leave for the casino. BY THE WAY, we won $5000!!! That made our nasty room seem a little less nasty. The only other thing I want to comment on is their "complimentary continental breakfast". I say, bring your own bagels and go to Dunkin Donuts to get your coffee. There so called breakfast consisted of stale cereal, bitter orange juice, moldly mini bagels and sour milk.. Kind of makes you hungry doesn't it?? I say pass right on by this hotel when you're looking for a place to stay. It's so not worth it. Even if they charged $25 a night, I'd say pass on by.

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank jakewilliams

Travelers are raving about these Niantic hotels

ohio
Reviewed November 2, 2007

Horrible experience! Arrived in room tired so we flopped on bed for a rest. After running to the front desk twice for a remote control that would work we decided to go out. Had to use the restroom before we left and discovered the toilet covered with urine. Went to front desk to cmplain and they offered to clean the toilet. Upon returning to the room, and deciding whether to stay or not I noticed a rodent running around the room. With that we had enough of this hotel and checked out. Upon checking out I was informed they would charge me $25.00 for the room. I asked why and was told they would have to clean the room because we were in it. We were in the rom for less than 2 hours and were leaving because the room was not clean in the first place. To this the woman said, "Sir I am not going to argue with you"! I was furious with her attitude but was not going to get anywhere with her so we left. Needless to say I have misputed this outrageous charge! I would never stay here or recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — filthy room and rodent
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank snapperOhio
New York
Reviewed September 10, 2007

The place seemed nice from the outside. It was fairly decent. We chose this place because it was only a few minutes from Mohegan Sun and it was a last minute trip. We checked in and when we arrived to the room there were a few items in the room that just seemed to be placed awkwardly. There was a microwave placed under the dresser lamp and a mini refridgerator that was unplugged under the bathroom sink. Whatever, right? We didn't plan on hanging out in the room all night anyways, especially after we saw a mouse scurry across the room as we were getting ready to leave. That's right, a mouse! It looked like a field mouse but it ruined our stay! It found it's way out the door and so did we. The hotel didn't offer a refund!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!! Even though the front desk staff was friendly they are DUMB and STUPID! We told them about the mouse and they just apologized and they just told us how they've seen them around the hotel along with other rodents like, racoons and possums. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!! It's not even worth the cheap $99 a night. Again, DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sueysoo
Saratoga Springs, NY
Reviewed July 8, 2007

BEWARE!! Upon arrival the loby looked promising but as soon as we got into our room I wanted to go home! It smelled so bad (dirty) like mold and mildew, the carpet was damp infront of the bathroom, the tub didn't drain, the airconditioner was loud, and the mattress was hard as a rock. There were no screens in the windows so we couldn't open the window to air it out so I went to the grocery store to buy airfresheners and that didn't even touch the smell. We requested to change rooms and we were given another room and this room smelled a little better, although it still smelled moldy and one of the box springs were broken so half of the bed was on the floor. The bathroom had mold growing on the wallpaper the caulk was mold and dirt stained (it was far from white). It was just a run down and dirty place. Our room didnt even get cleaned the 2nd day, and we had to request clean towels. The pool had a lot of dirt in the bottom and the liner is ripping out of it. Not a pleasant stay at all. I could not wait to get home and shower.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
conniemoye
Reviewed June 5, 2007

First and foremost my trouble with this hotel was that I was robbed. I had a very sentimental gold locket with a picture of my father who passed away last year. I put it on the dresser, left the room for hours, came back and it was gone. I complained to the front desk the next morning and the woman who cleaned my room explained EXACTLY where she saw the necklace....down to exact detail. She also said my husband came back in the room and then it was gone. She pretty much implied that my husband stole the locket. Pretty interesting that he would steal it considering that he bought it for me. She said that she saw the locket on the dresser on a shirt....then my husband came in and left....and then it was gone! Yeah....likely story.

ALSO - if that's not enough - THE ROOM SMELLED LIKE URINE!

Please don't stay here, unless you want to travel with all your belongings everytime you leave you room and like the smell of urine.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank conniemoye
Niantic, FDM at Days Inn Niantic Near Casinos, responded to this review, June 11, 2007
June 12, 2007

Dear Sir or Madam:

We hope this incidence will not discourage you from using the Hilltop Inn in the future. We realize that you make a decision each time you select the hotel that you will stay with. We want very much to show you that the decision you make will continue to be the correct one.
As you are aware that our AGM came with you to find the stuff and did not found, also same house keeping lady did clean your room for three days and It was there and she did assured that she had seen in the room with black T-shirt on the day of check out.
Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Sincerely Yours,

Dawn
FDM

Also consider these accommodations in or near Niantic
Sleep Inn & Suites
Days Inn & Suites Groton Near the Casinos
Groton Inn and Suites
Groton Inn and Suites
#5 of 14 in Groton

Been to Days Inn Niantic Near Casinos? Share your experiences!