“Pleasant Surprise”

Cuisines: Pizza
Norwich, Connecticut
“Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I long wanted to try the "mega dog" for my 65th birthday from family pizza. As it turned out, my wife had a calzone, good sized portion, that was very good. (had to take some to go). I had the fish and chips (also a good sized portion) came with a nice side salad and garlic bread for us both. It was very good.
Jen, our server was courteous, prompt and knowledgable.
Oh, I did get the "mega dog" to go, it was worth it.

Give this family atmosphere restaurant a try...

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank agrillo47

Dallas, Texas
“Much More Than Just Pizza”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This is where we eat regularly when we stay in Niantic. The menu options span far beyond just pizza, so it’s possible to eat here several times in a week and not get the same thing twice. Everyone should be able to find something they want. Prices are very affordable. This is a small, family pizza place (hence the name) that has been around for decades. It still has the same friendly feel when you walk in. The staff is welcoming and friendly. You can order at the counter for to-go food or order at the table if you are eating at the restaurant. Tables are a little closer together than I like, but it’s a small space. There is a small outdoor eating area out front. Their grinders are the best of all the places we ate on this visit. They cost a little more than at the other places we went, but it was worth it. The bread they used made the difference. Anyone who has moved away from the area and has had to make to do with other regions’ idea of a sub knows it’s the bread that sets a grinder apart. Also, they didn’t put a ton of lettuce in the cold grinders, just a sufficient amount without using it as filler. Their fried flounder was cooked just the way I used to have it at home when I was growing up. It wasn’t beer-battered (which I also like), just lightly coated. The portions that you get with the flounder are large. Two people could easily share it. New since the last time I’d been there was a two-foot hot dog, and we had to order it on our last night in the area just to say we had it and take a picture. They told us that they have to have the rolls specially made for them. I enjoyed the portion of the hot dog that I ate, and I really appreciated the fresh roll. I now live where we can only get hot dog buns, and having the roll instead was a treat. My one disappointment was the pizza. I had always felt that their pizza was one the better pizzas in the area, but something has changed. The crust wasn’t the softer crust I remember them having, but was thick and hard. Thick is good with a softer crust, but with a hard crust it is just unappetizing. I’m afraid I have to agree with the previous reviewer who described it as being like cardboard. Still, the rest of the food is very good and it will probably continue to be one of the main places we eat when we’re in town; we’ll just get our pizza somewhere else.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank wolfie_n
New Britain, Connecticut
“Awesome Place!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Delicious food, great service and nice setting. They make you feel like family. This is a place you HAVE TO try!!

Visited April 2012
Niantic, Connecticut, United States
“Great food and awesome service!”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My boyfriend and I get either pizza or grinders from Family Pizza at least once a week and we are always quite happy with our choices. We get a pizza with meatball, onions and peppers and it is soooo very tasty and filling. I have had many kinds of grinders there and am never disappointed. The owners are great people and the staff has been wonderful. I just know I will be ordering from them again one of these evenings! :-)

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank Jerilyn D
Niantic, Connecticut
“Much better options in Niantic.”
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I gave Family a try a few times and just couldn't find anything I liked. They use a weird tasting sauce in their pizza, I guess I would describe it as too sweet but I'm not really sure. Tried a couple grinders and both were greasy and soggy. Even the fries they use aren't very good. I'm not a hot dog fan so their claim of having the "world's longest hot dog" doesn't impress me. Ray's and Village Pizza are much better local options.

Visited January 2012