“Confusing...”

Burke's Tavern
Ranked #35 of 45 Restaurants in Niantic
Cuisines: American
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I don't really understand how this place stays in business- drinks are poured strong, but it is always empty. Uncomfortably so. Bartender was nice enough- she seemed familiar with most everyone who came through the door. A few people were brave enough to order the food but I doubt this is the sort of place I would ever eat if I saw the kitchen. Bathrooms were pretty gross, but I've seen worse. Overall, completely average at best.

1  Thank jessa794

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Employees are great and know the clientele very well. The owner (Craig)is just someone who wants to boss people around. The bar functions on its own. For the most most part a great place to go and watch people.

1  Thank Jtimorgan
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We have been to Burkes on several occasions to hear bands that we knew. We have often gotten appetizers which were fine. On one occasion we had the special dinner menu; a shared appetizer, we each got an entree and a bottle of wine for $25.00. It was a good meal, it is a bar after all with food. I think it is fine if you are just going out for a quick bite.

2  Thank thinair6
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I don't understand the appeal of this bar. I can't think of one reason to go there. I've been twice, only because I was dragged along by coworkers who wanted to eat outside for lunch a couple of times. The first time, it was a beautiful sunny day, we walked into a dimly lit bar, where a few people looked up from bar stools they might possibly have been permanently attached to, and squinted their eyes at us, as if they had not seen the sun in hours. The carpet is ripped and dirty. The place smells, and things are in a state of disarray. The outside wasn't even set up, so we just dragged a table out, and set up a few chairs.

Despite there being less than a half dozen customers our drink order (for three people) took twenty minutes, and they messed up my drink. It was supposed to be a gin and tonic. It was a rum and tonic. When I sent it back, the girl came back almost ten minutes later with a rum and coke. The thing is, I don't think they were trying to be rude. I think they're just that clueless. Oh, and the food was terrible. I think that says it all. They're awful, and I'm not quite sure how they manage to stay open.

Reviewed April 2, 2012

Years ago this used to be a local hot spot that I spent many Friday nights at, but a couple owners and a recession later it has deteriorated to a dump. Horrible food, inattentive bartenders, and a run-down feel await you here. Keep driving and hit Black Sheep or Sunset Ribs.